Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Definition of "free"

Having trouble sleeping I got up and watched a Channel4 TV programme at
around 4am.

It was another of those programs that suggested that a house featured on
the program had been been furnished for free, by carefully ignoring any
of the real costs.

Turn up with two men and a lorry to pick up something given away for
free and weighing a couple of hundred weight which then is put into the
hands of a professional interior designer and his mates to transform the
rubbish into crap.

Get something for free in Essex and transport it to Glasgow! [1] Again
passing through the hands of designers who seem to have been down to the
local shed to obtain £30 worth of wood/ply.

It would probably been cheaper for the program makers to have visited a
local furnishing store and purchased everything new.

[1]
This reminds me of phone calls that friends had when downsizing and
putting good quality items on some social media sites. The items were
being given away, for free. "Can you deliver it for free - I'm only 50
miles away?" - "Can you bring it around for us to have a look?"