Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Another reason for voting for Brexit

I made the big mistake of being collared by a neighbour
down my road, and asking what he thought about a No Deal
Brexit and although I'm fairly sure he's never even heard
of Usenet its probably best to be sure.

We live around the corner from a Tube station and one of
the main reasons he gave for voting leave. and why he thinks
a No Deal Brexit is a good idea is that you can't get on a
Tube train in the morning nowadays as a result of all
the "extra" people nowadays travelling into London.

When I pointed out to him that once we've sent all the
"extra" people back from where they came from, their jobs
would still need to be done by "our own" people who would
still need to travel to work by Tube.

This didn't seem to impress him very much.

Another reason was because of these plans to form a European
Army which would be run by the Germans. He explained that this
wouldn't be a good idea if we ever went to war with Germany
again.

I'm still not quite sure how that one was supposed to work
but by that stage I'd had enough of "the will of the people"

Marvin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 12:10, Marvin Turnip-Strearer wrote:
[snipped]

As if we needed another reason after the Germans imposed VAR on our
football league and changed the handball rule!

TW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 12:10, Marvin Turnip-Strearer wrote:
I made the big mistake of being collared by a neighbour
down my road, and asking what he thought about a No Deal
Brexit and although I'm fairly sure he's never even heard
of Usenet its probably best to be sure.

We live around the corner from a Tube station and one of
the main reasons he gave for voting leave. and why he thinks
a No Deal Brexit is a good idea is that you can't get on a
Tube train in the morning nowadays as a result of all
the "extra" people nowadays travelling into London.

When I pointed out to him that once we've sent all the
"extra" people back from where they came from, their jobs
would still need to be done by "our own" people who would
still need to travel to work by Tube.

This didn't seem to impress him very much.

I am sure we can do without the polish floor sweepers

Another reason was because of these plans to form a European
Army which would be run by the Germans. He explained that this
wouldn't be a good idea if we ever went to war with Germany
again.

I'm still not quite sure how that one was supposed to work
but by that stage I'd had enough of "the will of the people"

I was collared by a young lady who said we were mad to leave the EU
because we 'wouldnt be able to buy any stuff'

She was at a sixth form college too.

Marvin

--
€œA leader is best When people barely know he exists. Of a good leader,
€œWe did this ourselves.€

ۥ Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
[...]

As she becomes older, and changes into a Conservative supporter, she
will probably also become one of those phone-in Brexiteers who believe
that it's EU rules that are presently preventing us from trading with
the RoW.

--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 August 2019 12:32:11 UTC+1, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 23/08/2019 12:10, Marvin Turnip-Strearer wrote:
I made the big mistake of being collared by a neighbour
down my road, and asking what he thought about a No Deal
Brexit and although I'm fairly sure he's never even heard
of Usenet its probably best to be sure.

We live around the corner from a Tube station and one of
the main reasons he gave for voting leave. and why he thinks
a No Deal Brexit is a good idea is that you can't get on a
Tube train in the morning nowadays as a result of all
the "extra" people nowadays travelling into London.

When I pointed out to him that once we've sent all the
"extra" people back from where they came from, their jobs
would still need to be done by "our own" people who would
still need to travel to work by Tube.

This didn't seem to impress him very much.

I am sure we can do without the polish floor sweepers

and the large number of car cleaners which just seem to sit arouind most of the time I can;t blame them but I do wonder what's going on and how anyone of any nationality can afford to have such a large area of land just to clean cars form £6 per clean it, unless it's a fiddle and it works out cheaper than using a car park. It's not their fault but someone is making money from them mostly illegally, especailly when it comes to women.

I was collared by a young lady who said we were mad to leave the EU
because we 'wouldnt be able to buy any stuff'

She was at a sixth form college too.

Well that would explain it, wait till, she goes to uni.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 13:49, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

They do it for the minimum number of years to qualify for JSA then they
can bring the whole family over and claim free education + HB, etc

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
[...]

well, it all depends on what sort of 'stuff'. I don't think the goods I
ordered last week from Germany would only take 4 days to arrive and I
expect the price would be higher.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"whisky-dave" wrote in message
[...]

I think it's just a piece of unused land that they are "squatting" on

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marvin Turnip-Strearer" wrote in message
[...]

And I forgot to add, and I swear this is true and that this
chap is very serious when discussing such things

Marvin: " but what about all the shortages that might result
aren't you worried about those ? "

Neighbour " we (not him actually and he's 3 years younger than
I am ) had shortages during the war and we came through those "

This was just before the stuff about war with Germany as well.

Marvin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 13:46, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 23/08/2019 12:10, Marvin Turnip-Strearer wrote:
I made the big mistake of being collared by a neighbour
down my road, and asking what he thought about a No Deal
Brexit and although I'm fairly sure he's never even heard
of Usenet its probably best to be sure.
Â*We live around the corner from a Tube station and one of
the main reasons he gave for voting leave. and why he thinks
a No Deal Brexit is a good idea is that you can't get on a
Tube train in the morning nowadays as a result of all
the "extra" people nowadays travelling into London.
Â*When I pointed out to him that once we've sent all the
"extra" people back from where they came from, their jobs
would still need to be done by "our own" people who would
still need to travel to work by Tube.
Â*This didn't seem to impress him very much.

I am sure we can do without the polish floor sweepers

Â*Another reason was because of these plans to form a European
Army which would be run by the Germans. He explained that this
wouldn't be a good idea if we ever went to war with Germany
again.
Â*I'm still not quite sure how that one was supposed to work
but by that stage I'd had enough of "the will of the people"

I was collared by a young lady who said we were mad to leave the EU
because we 'wouldnt be able to buy any stuff'

She was atÂ* a sixth form college too.

As she becomes older, and changes into a Conservative supporter, she
will probably also become one of those phone-in Brexiteers who believe
that it's EU rules that are presently preventing us from trading with
the RoW.

No, that is only remainers that think that no trade deal means no trade.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 17:41:19 +0100, charles wrote:

well, it all depends on what sort of 'stuff'. I don't think the goods I
ordered last week from Germany would only take 4 days to arrive and I
expect the price would be higher.

Exactly.

Case in point this week. Last Thursday I ordered a piece of test
equipment (not cheap) from a company in the UK. Supposedly next day
delivery, but I got a cryptic email that I assumed meant it was being
drop shipped and would take an extra day.

At lunchtime Wednesday, with nothing in sight (and no promised email
update in sight) I phoned them. "Oh no, it's out of stock and we don't
know when...but the website would have told you". No it bloody didn't
(corroborative detail omitted to save space). So I cancelled the order.

I ordered it from the European distributor, near Eindhoven, mid afternoon
Wednesday. I watched it quickly move to Eindhoven, Liege, Stansted,
Maidstone, and here (less than 24 hours in total).

I had to pay 21% VAT (Netherlands rate) and it was almost exactly the
same price as the UK supplier. That isn't going to happen after any
Brexit.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:36:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

No, that is only remainers that think that no trade deal means no trade.

Except that once you have paid any tariffs and absorbed the costs of
any delays, you might as well not trade (and many businesses won't
continue to (fact), post Brexit).

Cheers, T i m

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

I've never heard any Remainer express such a misunderstanding. On the
other hand, although I'm sure it's not general I've heard a couple* of
Brexiteers who were absolutely convinced that at the moment we could
only trade with the EU - and that leaving would free us to trade with
the RoW.
*One was a caller to one of Iain Dale's LBC phone-ins. An increasingly
frustrated Iain was having a lot of trouble trying to convince him that
he was wrong - and even when the caller was cast adrift, it wasn't clear
whether Iain had managed to persuade him.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

Without any trade deal, presumably you would have to persuade the vendor
to sell it to you VAT-free - and you would have to pay the UK customs
the UK VAT, plus the appropriate import duty on the total purchase price
+ VAT?
--
Ian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 19:46, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Yes it is

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 20:05, Ian Jackson wrote:
[...]

They were remainers

*One was a caller to one of Iain Dale'sÂ* LBC phone-ins. An increasingly
frustrated Iain was having a lot of trouble trying to convince him that
he was wrong - and even when the caller was cast adrift, it wasn't clear
whether Iain had managed to persuade him.

Og forget phone ins. What dork phones in anyway?

kind word alone.

Al Capone

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:

Without any trade deal, presumably you would have to persuade the
vendor to sell it to you VAT-free

For export out of the EU, there'd be no VAT.

- and you would have to pay the UK customs the UK VAT, plus the
appropriate import duty on the total purchase price + VAT?

Why VAT and import duties twice?

It's not twice - but I think I might have got VAT and Import duty the
wrong way round - ie you pay duty first on the purchase price (or if
it's worth more, on UK customs think it's really worth), and then you
pay VAT on the total.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 17:57, tim... wrote:

I think it's just a piece of unused land that they are "squatting" on

tim

Like our local tescos car park?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 20:32, Ian Jackson wrote:
In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:

Without any trade deal, presumably you would have to persuade the
vendor to sell it to you VAT-free

For export out of the EU, there'd be no VAT.

- and you would have to pay the UK customs the UK VAT, plus the
appropriate import duty on the total purchase price + VAT?

Why VAT and import duties twice?

It's not twice - but I think I might have got VAT and Import duty the
wrong way round - ie you pay duty first on the purchase price (or if
it's worth more, on UK customs think it's really worth), and then you
pay VAT on the total.

You also pay VAT on the shipping charges and the charge for collecting
the charges.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:13:53 +0100, Ian Jackson wrote:

In message , Bob Eager
writes
[...]

And it would have taken much longer than a day.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:19:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had to pay 21% VAT (Netherlands rate) and it was almost exactly the
same price as the UK supplier. That isn't going to happen after any
Brexit.

Yes it is

Oh yes - Boris' Titanic success. Not.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 21:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:19:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had to pay 21% VAT (Netherlands rate) and it was almost exactly the
same price as the UK supplier. That isn't going to happen after any
Brexit.

Yes it is

Oh yes - Boris' Titanic success. Not.

The best thing about Brexit is that we may just see the end of online
remoaning.

Lucas Bergkamp

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 21:26, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:16:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 23/08/2019 21:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:19:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had to pay 21% VAT (Netherlands rate) and it was almost exactly the
same price as the UK supplier. That isn't going to happen after any
Brexit.

Yes it is

Oh yes - Boris' Titanic success. Not.

The best thing about Brexit is that we may just see the end of online
remoaning.

In your dreams.

Sigh. You are probably right. It will be one 'if we hadnt left the EU'
moan after another until the EU collapses into a pile of steaming turds

And even then that will be our fault ..

Josef Stalin

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , Tim Streater
writes

wrote:

Without any trade deal, presumably you would have to persuade the
vendor to sell it to you VAT-free

For export out of the EU, there'd be no VAT.

- and you would have to pay the UK customs the UK VAT, plus the
appropriate import duty on the total purchase price + VAT?

Why VAT and import duties twice?

It's not twice - but I think I might have got VAT and Import duty
the wrong way round - ie you pay duty first on the purchase price
(or if it's worth more, on UK customs think it's really worth), and
then you pay VAT on the total.

You also pay VAT on the shipping charges and the charge for collecting
the charges.

This happens now doesn't it?

I'm pretty sure it's just like buying something in the UK - ie you pay
the selling price (which may be ex-VAT or inc-VAT - VAT being the rate
where it is being sold. Shipping normally includes VAT, but some sellers
total up the ex-selling price + shipping, then add VAT.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:36:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

No, that is only remainers that think that no trade deal means no trade.

Except that once you have paid any tariffs and absorbed the costs of
any delays, you might as well not trade (and many businesses won't
continue to (fact), post Brexit).

half of our trade is in services

there's no tariffs on services and they don't get transported over borders
in trucks

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

they frequently claim then when we leave our trade with the EU will plummet
to zero

It's a natural extrapolation from that

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 17:57, tim... wrote:

I think it's just a piece of unused land that they are "squatting" on

tim

Like our local tescos car park?

presumably that's with permission.

but yes, what they do is unviable if they have to pay rent, so they probably
don't

Tesco perhaps let them work there as a service that encourage customers to
shop there

would be interesting to know

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Streater" wrote in message
.. .
In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:

In message , Tim Streater
writes
In article , Ian Jackson
wrote:

Without any trade deal, presumably you would have to persuade the vendor
to sell it to you VAT-free

For export out of the EU, there'd be no VAT.

- and you would have to pay the UK customs the UK VAT, plus the
appropriate import duty on the total purchase price + VAT?

Why VAT and import duties twice?

It's not twice - but I think I might have got VAT and Import duty the
wrong way round - ie you pay duty first on the purchase price (or if it's
worth more, on UK customs think it's really worth), and then you pay VAT
on the total.

This presupposes there is any duty payable, which will vary by item.

A few years back I bought a couple of 1Mbyte static RAMs from the US.

a *few* years!!!!!

tim

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 23/08/2019 21:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:19:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had to pay 21% VAT (Netherlands rate) and it was almost exactly the
same price as the UK supplier. That isn't going to happen after any
Brexit.

Yes it is

Oh yes - Boris' Titanic success. Not.

The best thing about Brexit is that we may just see the end of online
remoaning.

Meet the redoubled efforts as we metamorphose into Rejoiners!

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , tim...
writes

[...]

Not quite. The problem is that much of our RoW trade is done via the
RoW's trade agreements with the EU - and not via trade agreements with
the UK per se. Unless we can transfer the EU - RoW deals over to the UK,
we won't have any trade deals with the RoW. Even if we do come to a deal
with the EU, that doesn't mean that the EU - RoW deals will apply to the
UK.
--
Ian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:37:53 +0100, Tim Streater wrote:

wrote:

Without any trade deal, presumably you would have to persuade the
vendor to sell it to you VAT-free

For export out of the EU, there'd be no VAT.

- and you would have to pay the UK customs the UK VAT, plus the
appropriate import duty on the total purchase price + VAT?

Why VAT and import duties twice?

It's not twice - but I think I might have got VAT and Import duty the
wrong way round - ie you pay duty first on the purchase price (or if
it's worth more, on UK customs think it's really worth), and then you
pay VAT on the total.

You also pay VAT on the shipping charges and the charge for collecting
the charges.

This happens now doesn't it?

Yes, but no import duty. And no customs delay, and no customs pricessinbg
charges from the carrier.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:29:09 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

On 23/08/2019 21:26, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 21:16:21 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 23/08/2019 21:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:19:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had to pay 21% VAT (Netherlands rate) and it was almost exactly the
same price as the UK supplier. That isn't going to happen after any
Brexit.

Yes it is

Oh yes - Boris' Titanic success. Not.

The best thing about Brexit is that we may just see the end of online
remoaning.

In your dreams.

Sigh. You are probably right.

Only if we can still afford access to the Internet.

It will be one 'if we hadnt left the EU'
moan after another

And quite rightfully, considering it was only wanted by 1/3rd of the
Electorate.

until the EU collapses into a pile of steaming turds

If ... and that will be highly unlikely.

And even then that will be our fault ..

In the unlikely even of the UK (well, and maybe just Wales and part of
Ireland in the end) leaving the EU causing it's demise ... and us all
being worse off for it, who should those who didn't want it blame?

Some might then soften their loss by asset stripping known fanatic
Brexiteers ... ;-)

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"charles" wrote in message
In article ,
[...]

How odd that it did when I did that.

and I expect the price would be higher.

How odd that it wasn’t when I did that. You would save the VAT, stupid.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roger Hayter wrote:
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

On 23/08/2019 21:08, Bob Eager wrote:
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 20:19:27 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

I had to pay 21% VAT (Netherlands rate) and it was almost exactly the
same price as the UK supplier. That isn't going to happen after any
Brexit.

Yes it is

Oh yes - Boris' Titanic success. Not.

The best thing about Brexit is that we may just see the end of online
remoaning.

Meet the redoubled efforts as we metamorphose into Rejoiners!

If the Remoaners really believed the EU was such a wonderful thing / regime
to live under, they would leave and move to one of the EU countries. But,
like those who come here and commit acts of terror against us, having been
offered safety, shelter, etc, they refuse to accept our laws and democracy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bob Eager" wrote in message
[...]

Odd that it just did with my order from Germany and
I didnt pay any VAT at all because it was leaving the EU.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"T i m" wrote in message
news
On Fri, 23 Aug 2019 18:36:50 +0100, The Natural Philosopher
wrote:

snip

No, that is only remainers that think that no trade deal means no trade.

Except that once you have paid any tariffs and absorbed the costs of
any delays, you might as well not trade (and many businesses won't
continue to (fact), post Brexit).

Bet the business that export aircraft engines, the best single malt scotch,
documentarys and TV series, books in english, financial services, all do;

Posted to uk.d-i-y

[...]

No persuasion required, that is completely automatic.

and you would have to pay the UK customs the UK VAT, plus the appropriate
import duty on the total purchase price + VAT?

That assumes there is any import duty applicable.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/08/2019 22:54, Ian Jackson wrote:
The problem is that much of our RoW trade is done via the
RoW's trade agreements with the EU - and not via trade agreements with
the UK per se. Unless we can transfer the EU - RoW deals over to the UK,
we won't have any trade deals with the RoW.

How many is it to date? 37 have been transferred?

Even if we do come to a deal
with the EU, that doesn't mean that the EU - RoW deals will apply to the
UK.

Its only a problem if you sit there wringing your hands and syaing 'we
cvant do this ourselves'

I admit its going to be hard trying to carrry the dead weight of 10% of
the population who will never accept brexit, but that's the price it
seems we have to pay.