Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Default [RSGB] Deadline for exam applications for the current syllabus

On 15/08/2019 11:56, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Radio Society of Great Britain - Main Site

Deadline for exam applications for the current syllabus

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Radio...m_medium=email

We would like to remind everyone that the cut-off date for applications
for the current syllabus is this Friday, 16 August. Once booked,
candidates will have three months after the date of their exam to do
resits under the current syllabus if necessary. Due to the standard
process of giving two weeks notice for examinations, []

this must be a new meaning of the word exam hitherto unheard of ........

Apparently, the 'exams are easier these days' policy us due to vibrant,
diverse multiculturalism and the perceived need to boost figures for
minorities - at least that's what I think the chap said on the BBC last
night, although he may not have put it in quite those terms - I was only
half-listening at the time as the BBC isn't worth one's full attention
as the propaganda is very easy to spot.

I passed my Maths A-level with a modest grade that these days would
result in the award of an A-star. How times have changed...

--
Spike

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Spike wrote:
[...]

In one of my Advanced Maths papers, I achieved 101% - it would be Maths.
Oh, and one of my classmates got 102%.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2019 10:04, charles wrote:
In article ,
Spike wrote:
[...]

but you gave it 150% effort....tee hee
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.
I don't think you can do much harm with 10 watts. I used to illegally use
that to make an am relay for my cassette player when I was young and
probably stupid.
Never got caught.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Spike" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2019 10:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.
I don't think you can do much harm with 10 watts. I used to illegally use
that to make an am relay for my cassette player when I was young and
probably stupid.
Never got caught.
Brian

blame stephen cole.....

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Blame your ****ty gussets, Jim. Thanks, Jim.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2019 15:24, Stephen Cole wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/08/2019 10:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.
I don't think you can do much harm with 10 watts. I used to illegally use
that to make an am relay for my cassette player when I was young and
probably stupid.
Never got caught.
Brian

blame stephen cole.....

Blame your ****ty gussets, Jim. Thanks, Jim.

no no more likely to be you .....
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.

To be honest, the current Foundation licence exam is at such a basic level
that they pretty much are giving licences away for free; the exceedingly
minor hurdle of the exam serves merely as a filter for total useless
dumb****s, IMO.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2019 15:04, Stephen Cole wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.

To be honest, the current Foundation licence exam is at such a basic level
that they pretty much are giving licences away for free; the exceedingly
minor hurdle of the exam serves merely as a filter for total useless
dumb****s, IMO.

doesn't even do that IMO...ham radio was much nicer when I was the
lowest type of person that just scrapped in .....
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y,uk.net.news.management,uk.local.derbyshire

Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.

To be honest, the current Foundation licence exam is at such a basic level
that they pretty much are giving licences away for free; the exceedingly
minor hurdle of the exam serves merely as a filter for total useless
dumb****s, IMO.

doesn't even do that IMO...ham radio was much nicer when I was the
lowest type of person that just scrapped in .....

Now they let any old brain dead scumbag in, only to get stuck at
Intermediate like Rich, Jim. Thanks, Jim.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 09:14:08 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
I passed my Maths A-level with a modest grade that these days would
result in the award of an A-star. How times have changed...

I think you mean a degree.

I've seen undergraduate essays I'd have been told to re-do before O-level.

Owain

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On 15/08/2019 09:14, Spike wrote:
[...]

I got a higher C grade here in the near of Scotland in 1969.... I have
forgotten all my maths ...even reinforced concrete design which had a
lot of maths in it.....just something I could do at the time but has
completely gone now.....
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

I was in the top set for maths for the first three years at grammar school
but lost interest when we started doing complicated algebra by the fourth
year that I couldnt quickly understand, so the teacher lost her rag with
me and moved me to the bottom set, which limited my GCSE grade to a maximum
of a B no matter what score I got. I ended up pretty much answering
everything in the exam correctly so should have got an A* by rights but got
a B instead; **** it, tho, not one person has ever asked to see my exam
certificates, which has pretty much reinforced the belief I always had when
I was at school that GCSEs were beyond pointless.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

If you were limited to a B you did the one of the lower papers. No sure
what is was called when you did your exams- probably the Intermediate.
The papers have some common questions but, the middle one you probably
did, doesn't have the harder questions which carry the marks for the A
and A* grades. From memory, the lower paper (below the one you probably
did) you can only get a C.

So, if you've don't do the Higher paper, answered the same questions,
but struggled with the more complex ones, you'd not have got a A* or
even an A, as some of the easy (available) questions you picked up marks
on would have been removed to keep the overall number questions etc the
same.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

What you say sounds sensible but the reality of it for me back in 1997 was
that both maths sets (there was only two tiers at my school; top and
bottom) sat the same paper at the same time; identical like. Mental, eh?

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

totly...suits you sir ....
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

That doesn't agree with your earlier post, unless they all did the
intermediate paper- which would be very strange. In fact, it is quite
unusual for a (good) grammar school to use the Intermediate paper for
whole class, even a 'bottom' set.

It is quite normal for those doing the Intermediate paper and those
doing the Higher paper to not only do so at the same time but in the
same room. Remember, some questions are common.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

nice slap down ...tee hee
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 17:15:52 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

If you were limited to a B you did the one of the lower papers. No sure
what is was called when you did your exams- probably the Intermediate.
The papers have some common questions but, the middle one you probably
did, doesn't have the harder questions which carry the marks for the A
and A* grades. From memory, the lower paper (below the one you probably
did) you can only get a C.

So, if you've don't do the Higher paper, answered the same questions,
but struggled with the more complex ones, you'd not have got a A* or
even an A, as some of the easy (available) questions you picked up marks
on would have been removed to keep the overall number questions etc the
same.

Certainly correct in recent years.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 17:15:52 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

If you were limited to a B you did the one of the lower papers. No sure
what is was called when you did your exams- probably the Intermediate.
The papers have some common questions but, the middle one you probably
did, doesn't have the harder questions which carry the marks for the A
and A* grades. From memory, the lower paper (below the one you probably
did) you can only get a C.

So, if you've don't do the Higher paper, answered the same questions,
but struggled with the more complex ones, you'd not have got a A* or
even an A, as some of the easy (available) questions you picked up marks
on would have been removed to keep the overall number questions etc the
same.

Certainly correct in recent years.

It is a standard approach and has been in place since GCSEs started- it was
integral to their replacing both CSEs and O levels.

In the old O level days, rather than doing the Intermediate paper, the
weaker pupils would probably have been entered for a CSE in the same
subject as an €˜insurance. Im pretty sure some of the people I went to
school with who, shall we say, didnt pay attention did this.

The SATS/NATS use the same basic approach, different papers which overlap,
and have some common questions. The hardest one in Mathematics offers a
Level 8, next one 7, and then 6. Only Mathematics has a paper which goes
to 8, at least unless things have changed since I retired.

Steve is just deluding himself.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 17:15:52 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

If you were limited to a B you did the one of the lower papers. No sure
what is was called when you did your exams- probably the Intermediate.
The papers have some common questions but, the middle one you probably
did, doesn't have the harder questions which carry the marks for the A
and A* grades. From memory, the lower paper (below the one you probably
did) you can only get a C.

So, if you've don't do the Higher paper, answered the same questions,
but struggled with the more complex ones, you'd not have got a A* or
even an A, as some of the easy (available) questions you picked up marks
on would have been removed to keep the overall number questions etc the
same.

Certainly correct in recent years.

Like I said, it sounds sensible so I can easily believe that its how
things are done now. Brians problem is that he played at being a teacher
for a couple of years when he couldnt get another job after being forced
to abruptly end his engineering career, so he pretends he knows all there
is to know about education, to make up for his unqualified status I guess.
Its best just to nod and smile at him in these circumstances, with luck he
wont make too bad a fool of himself.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

"Stephen Cole" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Mine did see me not need to pay any uni fees.

Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 07:19:09 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Mine did see me not need to pay any uni fees.

Ahem! NOBODY talked to you, Ozzietard!

cretin from Oz:
Posted to uk.radio.amateur,uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]