DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   [RSGB] Deadline for exam applications for the current syllabus (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/638839-re-%5Brsgb%5D-deadline-exam-applications-current-syllabus.html)

Spike[_6_] August 15th 19 09:14 AM

[RSGB] Deadline for exam applications for the current syllabus

On 15/08/2019 11:56, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Radio Society of Great Britain - Main Site

Deadline for exam applications for the current syllabus

http://feedproxy.google.com/~r/Radio...m_medium=email

We would like to remind everyone that the cut-off date for applications
for the current syllabus is this Friday, 16 August. Once booked,
candidates will have three months after the date of their exam to do
resits under the current syllabus if necessary. Due to the standard
process of giving two weeks notice for examinations, []

this must be a new meaning of the word exam hitherto unheard of ........

Apparently, the 'exams are easier these days' policy us due to vibrant,
diverse multiculturalism and the perceived need to boost figures for
minorities - at least that's what I think the chap said on the BBC last
night, although he may not have put it in quite those terms - I was only
half-listening at the time as the BBC isn't worth one's full attention
as the propaganda is very easy to spot.

I passed my Maths A-level with a modest grade that these days would
result in the award of an A-star. How times have changed...

--
Spike

charles August 15th 19 10:04 AM

[RSGB] Deadline for exam applications for the current syllabus

In article ,
Spike wrote:
[...]

In one of my Advanced Maths papers, I achieved 101% - it would be Maths.
Oh, and one of my classmates got 102%.

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England

Brian Gaff August 15th 19 10:08 AM

[RSGB] Deadline for exam applications for the current syllabus

And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.
I don't think you can do much harm with 10 watts. I used to illegally use
that to make an am relay for my cassette player when I was young and
probably stupid.
Never got caught.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

[email protected] August 15th 19 10:27 AM

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 09:14:08 UTC+1, Spike wrote:
I passed my Maths A-level with a modest grade that these days would
result in the award of an A-star. How times have changed...

I think you mean a degree.

I've seen undergraduate essays I'd have been told to re-do before O-level.

Owain

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 15th 19 10:37 AM

On 15/08/2019 09:14, Spike wrote:
[...]

I got a higher C grade here in the near of Scotland in 1969.... I have
forgotten all my maths ...even reinforced concrete design which had a
lot of maths in it.....just something I could do at the time but has
completely gone now.....

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 15th 19 10:38 AM

[RSGB] Deadline for exam applications for the current syllabus

On 15/08/2019 10:04, charles wrote:
In article ,
Spike wrote:
[...]

but you gave it 150% effort....tee hee

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 15th 19 10:39 AM

On 15/08/2019 10:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.
I don't think you can do much harm with 10 watts. I used to illegally use
that to make an am relay for my cassette player when I was young and
probably stupid.
Never got caught.
Brian

blame stephen cole.....

Stephen Cole August 15th 19 03:04 PM

Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.

To be honest, the current Foundation licence exam is at such a basic level
that they pretty much are giving licences away for free; the exceedingly
minor hurdle of the exam serves merely as a filter for total useless
dumb****s, IMO.

--
M0TEY // STC
www.twitter.com/ukradioamateur

Stephen Cole August 15th 19 03:24 PM

Blame your ****ty gussets, Jim. Thanks, Jim.

Stephen Cole August 15th 19 03:24 PM

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

I was in the top set for maths for the first three years at grammar school
but lost interest when we started doing complicated algebra by the fourth
year that I couldnt quickly understand, so the teacher lost her rag with
me and moved me to the bottom set, which limited my GCSE grade to a maximum
of a B no matter what score I got. I ended up pretty much answering
everything in the exam correctly so should have got an A* by rights but got
a B instead; **** it, tho, not one person has ever asked to see my exam
certificates, which has pretty much reinforced the belief I always had when
I was at school that GCSEs were beyond pointless.

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 15th 19 03:52 PM

On 15/08/2019 15:24, Stephen Cole wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
On 15/08/2019 10:08, Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.
I don't think you can do much harm with 10 watts. I used to illegally use
that to make an am relay for my cassette player when I was young and
probably stupid.
Never got caught.
Brian

blame stephen cole.....

Blame your ****ty gussets, Jim. Thanks, Jim.

no no more likely to be you .....

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 15th 19 03:55 PM

On 15/08/2019 15:04, Stephen Cole wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.

To be honest, the current Foundation licence exam is at such a basic level
that they pretty much are giving licences away for free; the exceedingly
minor hurdle of the exam serves merely as a filter for total useless
dumb****s, IMO.

doesn't even do that IMO...ham radio was much nicer when I was the
lowest type of person that just scrapped in .....

Brian Reay[_6_] August 15th 19 05:15 PM

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

If you were limited to a B you did the one of the lower papers. No sure
what is was called when you did your exams- probably the Intermediate.
The papers have some common questions but, the middle one you probably
did, doesn't have the harder questions which carry the marks for the A
and A* grades. From memory, the lower paper (below the one you probably
did) you can only get a C.

So, if you've don't do the Higher paper, answered the same questions,
but struggled with the more complex ones, you'd not have got a A* or
even an A, as some of the easy (available) questions you picked up marks
on would have been removed to keep the overall number questions etc the
same.

Stephen Cole August 15th 19 05:30 PM

Brian Gaff wrote:
And this is in DIY because?
Actually the new syllabus now contains a lot more on Digital modes etc, I
am given to understand.
To be honest as long as people use type approved equipment they might as
well let us all have one for free.

To be honest, the current Foundation licence exam is at such a basic level
that they pretty much are giving licences away for free; the exceedingly
minor hurdle of the exam serves merely as a filter for total useless
dumb****s, IMO.

doesn't even do that IMO...ham radio was much nicer when I was the
lowest type of person that just scrapped in .....

Now they let any old brain dead scumbag in, only to get stuck at
Intermediate like Rich, Jim. Thanks, Jim.

Stephen Cole August 15th 19 05:30 PM

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

What you say sounds sensible but the reality of it for me back in 1997 was
that both maths sets (there was only two tiers at my school; top and
bottom) sat the same paper at the same time; identical like. Mental, eh?

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 15th 19 05:46 PM

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

nice slap down ...tee hee

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 15th 19 05:47 PM

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

totly...suits you sir ....

Brian Reay[_6_] August 15th 19 06:47 PM

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

That doesn't agree with your earlier post, unless they all did the
intermediate paper- which would be very strange. In fact, it is quite
unusual for a (good) grammar school to use the Intermediate paper for
whole class, even a 'bottom' set.

It is quite normal for those doing the Intermediate paper and those
doing the Higher paper to not only do so at the same time but in the
same room. Remember, some questions are common.

Stephen Cole August 15th 19 07:07 PM

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

The papers were dished out from a single stack, not named or otherwise
indicated as different, and I recall talking with lads in top set that it
was daft that lower set were capped at B despite sitting same paper as
them.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Brian Reay[_6_] August 15th 19 08:23 PM

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

The exam board mark the papers and have no idea which class / set you are
in.

Tiered papers arent uncommon. They work as I described. True all my pupils
were entered for higher paper but I know the system, it is also used for
NATS (used to be called SATS).

You sat a paper €˜capped at a B. The rest is your own delusion.

Stephen Cole August 15th 19 09:16 PM

Brian Reay wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

It is always amusing to see you imagine that you know somebodys life
better than they do themselves, Brian, but the very brief dalliance you had
with teaching following the abrupt failing of your engineering career is,
as ever, leading you to horrifically overreach.

Brian Reay[_6_] August 15th 19 09:31 PM

Stephen Cole wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

You obviously feel the need to delude yourself.

Rod Speed August 15th 19 10:19 PM

"Stephen Cole" wrote in message
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

Mine did see me not need to pay any uni fees.

Peeler[_4_] August 15th 19 11:12 PM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert!

On Fri, 16 Aug 2019 07:19:09 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

Mine did see me not need to pay any uni fees.

Ahem! NOBODY talked to you, Ozzietard!

cretin from Oz:

Bob Eager[_7_] August 15th 19 11:47 PM

On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 17:15:52 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

If you were limited to a B you did the one of the lower papers. No sure
what is was called when you did your exams- probably the Intermediate.
The papers have some common questions but, the middle one you probably
did, doesn't have the harder questions which carry the marks for the A
and A* grades. From memory, the lower paper (below the one you probably
did) you can only get a C.

So, if you've don't do the Higher paper, answered the same questions,
but struggled with the more complex ones, you'd not have got a A* or
even an A, as some of the easy (available) questions you picked up marks
on would have been removed to keep the overall number questions etc the
same.

Certainly correct in recent years.

Brian Reay[_6_] August 16th 19 12:33 AM

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 17:15:52 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

If you were limited to a B you did the one of the lower papers. No sure
what is was called when you did your exams- probably the Intermediate.
The papers have some common questions but, the middle one you probably
did, doesn't have the harder questions which carry the marks for the A
and A* grades. From memory, the lower paper (below the one you probably
did) you can only get a C.

So, if you've don't do the Higher paper, answered the same questions,
but struggled with the more complex ones, you'd not have got a A* or
even an A, as some of the easy (available) questions you picked up marks
on would have been removed to keep the overall number questions etc the
same.

Certainly correct in recent years.

It is a standard approach and has been in place since GCSEs started- it was
integral to their replacing both CSEs and O levels.

In the old O level days, rather than doing the Intermediate paper, the
weaker pupils would probably have been entered for a CSE in the same
subject as an €˜insurance. Im pretty sure some of the people I went to
school with who, shall we say, didnt pay attention did this.

The SATS/NATS use the same basic approach, different papers which overlap,
and have some common questions. The hardest one in Mathematics offers a
Level 8, next one 7, and then 6. Only Mathematics has a paper which goes
to 8, at least unless things have changed since I retired.

Steve is just deluding himself.

Steve Walker[_5_] August 16th 19 12:50 AM

On 16/08/2019 00:33, Brian Reay wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Back in my 'O'-level days (1983), we took most subjects with the Joint
Matriculation Board. Anyone who was borderline also took CSEs, but I
don't know what board that was with, as I didn't take any.

Two subjects though were different: Latin and Physics, where we took the
forerunner of GCSEs, the 16+, with The West Yorkshire and Lindsey
Regional Examinations Board. A single exam, not different papers, where
you could get anything from an A-grade 'O'-level down to a grade 5 CSE.

SteveW

Stephen Cole August 16th 19 06:52 AM

Bob Eager wrote:
On Thu, 15 Aug 2019 17:15:52 +0100, Brian Reay wrote:

If you were limited to a B you did the one of the lower papers. No sure
what is was called when you did your exams- probably the Intermediate.
The papers have some common questions but, the middle one you probably
did, doesn't have the harder questions which carry the marks for the A
and A* grades. From memory, the lower paper (below the one you probably
did) you can only get a C.

So, if you've don't do the Higher paper, answered the same questions,
but struggled with the more complex ones, you'd not have got a A* or
even an A, as some of the easy (available) questions you picked up marks
on would have been removed to keep the overall number questions etc the
same.

Certainly correct in recent years.

Like I said, it sounds sensible so I can easily believe that its how
things are done now. Brians problem is that he played at being a teacher
for a couple of years when he couldnt get another job after being forced
to abruptly end his engineering career, so he pretends he knows all there
is to know about education, to make up for his unqualified status I guess.
Its best just to nod and smile at him in these circumstances, with luck he
wont make too bad a fool of himself.

Brian Reay[_6_] August 16th 19 07:33 AM

Stephen Cole wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Repeating lies made up by the usual rejects may make you feel better but it
doesnt change the facts.

Stephen Cole August 16th 19 07:43 AM

Brian Reay wrote:
Stephen Cole wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

The facts are, Brian, that you were an unqualified teacher. Youve admitted
so yourself here several times in the past. Its all in the archives.

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 16th 19 07:50 AM

On 15/08/2019 21:16, Stephen Cole wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

couldn't have said it better myself...

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 16th 19 07:50 AM

On 15/08/2019 21:31, Brian Reay wrote:
Stephen Cole wrote:
Brian Reay wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

classic text book narcissism ....

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 16th 19 07:52 AM

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

we didn't have any of that crap in the near of scotland.....

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 16th 19 07:55 AM

On 16/08/2019 06:52, Stephen Cole wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I like how you seem to know other peoples lives...tee he....good bounce
up though.....

Brian Reay[_6_] August 16th 19 07:57 AM

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

Sounds right. There were various trials of new schemes prior to the new
GCSEs.

As I mentioned, the GCSEs replaced both the O levels and CSEs so the
grading needing to allow for that. Im sure there was a lot of €˜debate at
the time, there always is, but I dont recall it specifically.

Whether one exam is better is a matter of opinion. Employers at the time
were faced with candidates holding CSEs and O levels. Grade 1 CSEs were
designated to be equivalent to an O level. Some people may well have
€˜double counted if they had a CSE 1 and an O level in the same subject. I
certainly suspected it on some CVs I saw in my engineering days.

Equally, the new system has higher, intermediate, and foundation papers in,
say, Mathematics so is a C always the same? In theory the candidates
answered some of the same questions but some in practice, one doing the
higher paper could have got his marks by answering only difficult questions
and skipped the easier ones.

The bottom line is, no exam system is perfect. Im not against exams etc,
far from it. Then, I always got excellent results from my classes. ;-)

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 16th 19 08:00 AM

Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

the ones you liked according to your pupils...tee hee

Jim GM4DHJ ... August 16th 19 08:01 AM

On 16/08/2019 07:33, Brian Reay wrote:
Stephen Cole wrote:
Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

is that like the facts you make up about people?...