Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windpower

On 19/08/2019 21:35, bert wrote:
In article , The Natural Philosopher
writes
On 19/08/2019 16:28, bert wrote:
In article , Steve Walker
writes
On 18/08/2019 07:24, Roland Perry wrote:
In message , at
11:59:52Â* onÂ* Sat, 17 Aug 2019, Tim Streater
remarked:
The current crop of HFCELL cars seem to be in the 300 to 500 mile
perÂ* tank range.

And in the same sort of tank?

Can't see your normal petrol tank taking 700 bar.

Is that safely fillable on the forecourt by your average punter?
Â*Interesting you should say "forecourt". Looking at a map I found
ofÂ* places to buy LPG, in a rural county these would seem to be as
muchÂ* non-forecourts. Places like taxi firm depots and agricultural
establishments (both f which presumably have LP-based vehicles and
haveÂ* been persuaded to allow the public to buy, maybe at reduced
opening hours).
Â*Which raises another issue - the growing trend for unmanned 24x7
forecourts, especially at supermarkets. Would hydrogen be
compatible with that?

It would be a connector that locks on and until locked on remains
sealed to prevent any leakage, plus a feedback signal confirming
that it is locked on to enable the pump and probably with a mecanism
that will only release the lock after the pump is stopped and
depressurised. SImilar things are common in industry. All the user
would have to do it insert the nozzle, latch it on, fuel up and
release the latch - the rest of the operation would be transparent
to them.

Steve
Wasn't F1 refuelling similar.
If anything can go wrong eventually it will go wrong.

And it did.

Eddy Irvine IIRC pulled away still attached to the rig. A car coming
into the pits behind him ran through the spilt fuel and caught fire

I think it happened more than once.
Jos Vestappen No other car involved and it was stationary
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TnFLw0opMI

I remember that one but couldnt find it on You Tube

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2019 09:01, Tim Streater wrote:
Compared to H2 which wouldn't need to evaporate, being
a gas already, and which has no smell.

Methanol fuel was banned in many forms of motorsport because it burns
with no soot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interesting...re_in_the_pit/

By the time you know you are on fire its too late.

let them."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 19/08/2019 21:20, jeikppkywk wrote:

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Roland Perry wrote:
Apart from the water emissions! That range is a little low, too. Most
diesel family cars should have a range of at least 500 *miles*

How often do you drive 500 miles without a comfort break of some sort?

Always and the only comfort break is a **** and I prefer to not use
public dunnys,
just **** by the side of the road on the highways etc.

Depends wehat you mean by comfort break. Asssuming motorways 500 miles at
70mph is 7 hours solid.

I have done that non stop except for fuel and a **** on several occasions,
so if the tank had been larger I would have BUT that is the limit.

Last year I had to drive to Koblenz which I did non stop once off the
ferry except that since the whole shebang was about 10 hours staring in
the small hours, I ran out of sleep and had to have 40 winks on the
autobahn lay by

Yeah, I have had to do that a few times.

I dont go to sleep unintentionally, so its fine for me to drive for
10 hours or more with just a stop for more petrol and/or a ****.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
Apart from the water emissions! That range is a little low, too. Most
diesel family cars should have a range of at least 500 *miles*

How often do you drive 500 miles without a comfort break of some sort?

Always and the only comfort break is a **** and I prefer to not use public
dunnys,
just **** by the side of the road on the highways etc.

I'm betting you **** out teh window as you drive, or have a **** jug in the car.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 20:51:13 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Last year I had to drive to Koblenz which I did non stop once off the
ferry except that since the whole shebang was about 10 hours staring in
the small hours, I ran out of sleep and had to have 40 winks on the
autobahn lay by

Yeah, I have had to do that a few times.

I don¢t go to sleep unintentionally

....that's because you CAN'T sleep in because your idiotic trolling on Usenet
is EVERYTHING you got in your senile "life", you senile pest! ...and which
is the VERY reason why you need to get out of bed EVERY NIGHT between 1 and
4am just so you can pester people! In fact, you are so MISERABLE, you can't
even hide what's wrong with you, even when people keep ridiculing you!

"That¢s because so much **** and ****e emanates from your gob that there is
and the end of prick is only clear because you are such a ******."

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
Apart from the water emissions! That range is a little low, too. Most
diesel family cars should have a range of at least 500 *miles*

How often do you drive 500 miles without a comfort break of some sort?

Always and the only comfort break is a **** and I prefer to not use
public dunnys,
just **** by the side of the road on the highways etc.

Of course our Oz troll doesn't know what a motorway is.

Depends wehat you mean by comfort break. Asssuming motorways 500 miles
at 70mph is 7 hours solid.

You have averaged 70 mph for 7 hours in the UK? Or just on your planet?

I have done that non stop except for fuel and a **** on several
occasions, so if the tank had been larger I would have BUT that is the
limit.

You could always look up what a comfort break is. Even without your
prostate problems.

Last year I had to drive to Koblenz which I did non stop once off the
ferry except that since the whole shebang was about 10 hours staring in
the small hours, I ran out of sleep and had to have 40 winks on the
autobahn lay by

So you didn't manage to drive 500 miles non stop?

-

--
*It doesn't take a genius to spot a goat in a flock of sheep *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
Apart from the water emissions! That range is a little low, too.
Most diesel family cars should have a range of at least 500 *miles*

How often do you drive 500 miles without a comfort break of some
sort?

Always and the only comfort break is a **** and I prefer to not use
public dunnys, just **** by the side of the road on the highways etc.

I'm betting you **** out teh window as you drive, or have a **** jug in
the car.

Must be his Indian heritage.

--
*Horn broken. - Watch for finger.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:23:44 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Anyone see the irony of the recent power cut?

We are told by Turnip etc that wind power has no place in generating our
energy. As the wind doesn't blow 24/7.

Yes when we have a technical failure of a large windfarm, and a
conventional generator at the same time, we have a power cut which
effected millions of people.

But the nuclear lot want to put all our eggs in the one basket...

No irony. Failures of conventional generation happen, but in the case
of nuclear they can run for thousands of hours.

https://world-nuclear-news.org/C-Rec...t-1609164.html

940 days, 2.5 years, circa 620MW right round the clock, a total of 14
TWh and around 7 million tonnes of carbon dioxide avoided.

The difference is that a conventional generator be it coal, gas,
nuclear or hydro can have a defined and normally positive response to
reduced frequency, on a falling voltage or frequency excitation will
increase and they also provide genuine inertia to the grid by virtue
of the rotating synchronous mass of the generator rotor.

Normally a wind turbine or solar panel is asynchronous and are not
capable of frequency or voltage support. They are by design incapable
of doing anything constructive in response to a falling voltage or
system frequency.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2019 09:01, Tim Streater wrote:
Compared to H2 which wouldn't need to evaporate, being
a gas already, and which has no smell.

Methanol fuel was banned in many forms of motorsport because it burns
with no soot.

https://www.reddit.com/r/interesting...re_in_the_pit/

By the time you know you are on fire its too late.

OTOH you can put the fires out with plain water.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 20/08/2019 09:09, Andy Burns wrote:
Tim Streater wrote:

charles wrote:

You don't always spota petrol leak. Think 'Buncefield'.

You would at a petrol station. You'd see the fluid and smell the
evaporated fuel. Compared to H2 which wouldn't need to evaporate, being
a gas already, and which has no smell.

Is it practical to add a odorant to H2 similar to natural gas?

Sounds like it is ...
https://patents.google.com/patent/EP1828355A1

Easy enough to do, but it is also easy within fueling stations to use
fixed detectors to spot leaks.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Â* Roland Perry wrote:
Apart from the water emissions! That range is a little low, too. Most
diesel family cars should have a range of at least 500 *miles*

How often do you drive 500 miles without a comfort break of some sort?

Always and the only comfort break is a **** and I prefer to not use
public dunnys,
just **** by the side of the road on the highways etc.

Depends wehat you mean by comfort break. Asssuming motorways 500 miles
atÂ* 70mph is 7 hours solid.

I have done that non stop except for fuel and a **** on several
occasions, so if the tank had been larger I would have BUT that is the
limit.

Last year I had to drive to Koblenz which I did non stop once off the
ferry except that since the whole shebang was about 10 hours staring in
the small hours, I ran out of sleep and had to have 40 winks on the
autobahn lay by

I have done journeys of far longer, into Europe, rotating drivers to
ensure rest.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Roland Perry wrote:
Apart from the water emissions! That range is a little low, too. Most
diesel family cars should have a range of at least 500 *miles*

How often do you drive 500 miles without a comfort break of some sort?

Always and the only comfort break is a **** and I prefer to not use
public dunnys,
just **** by the side of the road on the highways etc.

Of course our Oz troll doesn't know what a motorway is.

Corse I do, we have plenty of them.

Depends wehat you mean by comfort break. Asssuming motorways 500 miles
at 70mph is 7 hours solid.

You have averaged 70 mph for 7 hours in the UK? Or just on your planet?

I have done that non stop except for fuel and a **** on several
occasions, so if the tank had been larger I would have BUT that is the
limit.

You could always look up what a comfort break is. Even without your
prostate problems.

Last year I had to drive to Koblenz which I did non stop once off the
ferry except that since the whole shebang was about 10 hours staring in
the small hours, I ran out of sleep and had to have 40 winks on the
autobahn lay by

So you didn't manage to drive 500 miles non stop?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 21 Aug 2019 07:51:51 +1000, jeikppkywk, better known as cantankerous

Of course our Oz troll doesn't know what a motorway is.

Corse I do, we have plenty of them.

What DO you know other than the senile **** you got for brains, senile
Ozzietard?

--
about senile Rot Speed:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Is it practical to add a odorant to H2 similar to natural gas?

Easy enough to do

I wondered if hydrogen molecules were too small or light to carry a
tracer with them?

but it is also easy within fueling stations to use
fixed detectors to spot leaks.

That doesn't help with a leaky H2 car in a garage though
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 15:26:47 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You have averaged 70 mph for 7 hours in the UK? Or just on your planet?

doable in daytime decades ago, still doable at night.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/08/2019 04:24, Andy Burns wrote:
Steve Walker wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Is it practical to add a odorant to H2 similar to natural gas?

Easy enough to do

I wondered if hydrogen molecules were too small or light to carry a
tracer with them?

but it is also easy within fueling stations to use fixed detectors to
spot leaks.

That doesn't help with a leaky H2 car in a garage though

People were talking about the dangers of drivers refuelling their own
cars, which is what I was replying to.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 21 August 2019 13:27:43 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
tabbypurr wrote:
On Tuesday, 20 August 2019 15:26:47 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:

You have averaged 70 mph for 7 hours in the UK? Or just on your
planet?

doable in daytime decades ago, still doable at night.

In a Tardis, I assume?

Do you ever do any long journeys in the UK?

Yes. I don't speed, if I did I'd have no trouble averaging 70 through the night. No chance in daytime nowadays.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Steve Walker wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Is it practical to add a odorant to H2 similar to natural gas?

Easy enough to do

I wondered if hydrogen molecules were too small or light to carry a
tracer with them?

but it is also easy within fueling stations to use fixed detectors to
spot leaks.

That doesn't help with a leaky H2 car in a garage though

That's a thought. The problem with H2 is it's so small it'll fit through
the smallest leak. Which the tracer might not

Andy