Posted to uk.d-i-y
The Other Mike[_3_] The Other Mike[_3_] is offline

Default Windpower

On Sat, 10 Aug 2019 12:23:44 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)"
wrote:

Anyone see the irony of the recent power cut?

We are told by Turnip etc that wind power has no place in generating our
energy. As the wind doesn't blow 24/7.

Yes when we have a technical failure of a large windfarm, and a
conventional generator at the same time, we have a power cut which
effected millions of people.

But the nuclear lot want to put all our eggs in the one basket...

No irony. Failures of conventional generation happen, but in the case
of nuclear they can run for thousands of hours.

https://world-nuclear-news.org/C-Rec...t-1609164.html

940 days, 2.5 years, circa 620MW right round the clock, a total of 14
TWh and around 7 million tonnes of carbon dioxide avoided.

The difference is that a conventional generator be it coal, gas,
nuclear or hydro can have a defined and normally positive response to
reduced frequency, on a falling voltage or frequency excitation will
increase and they also provide genuine inertia to the grid by virtue
of the rotating synchronous mass of the generator rotor.

Normally a wind turbine or solar panel is asynchronous and are not
capable of frequency or voltage support. They are by design incapable
of doing anything constructive in response to a falling voltage or
system frequency.