Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

Default Nice fire place plastering

To cheer up my **** week I managed to find a customer today that has
bricked up a fire place and plastered it ready for an electric fire to
be fitted.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...dfireplace.jpg

And if you are called Brian and you are blind image plaster that reads
like the Himalayas if it was Braille.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

I managed to find a customer today that has bricked up a fire place and
plastered it ready for an electric fire to be fitted.

It'll sand!
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 28/07/2019 18:42, Andy Burns wrote:
ARW wrote:

I managed to find a customer today that has bricked up a fire place
and plastered it ready for an electric fire to be fitted.

It'll sand!

We will see.

I had no SDS drill with me today so I could not actually mount the fire.

It seems that damp is already coming through the wall.

--
Adam
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 July 2019 18:35:23 UTC+1, ARW wrote:
To cheer up my **** week I managed to find a customer today that has
bricked up a fire place and plastered it ready for an electric fire to
be fitted.

Who's responsible for the minitrunking and making good round the sockets?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2019 18:35, ARW wrote:
To cheer up my **** week I managed to find a customer today that has
bricked up a fire place and plastered it ready for an electric fire to
be fitted.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...dfireplace.jpg

And if you are called Brian and you are blind image plaster that reads
like the Himalayas if it was Braille.

Shabby chic rustic look?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Ah economy of plastering brings bumpy finish. Having said that most of the
walls in this 1930s terrace are wobbly tilted, bumpy or curved near corners.
I don't think accuracy was strived for at the time in 1939.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"ARW" wrote in message
To cheer up my **** week I managed to find a customer today that has
bricked up a fire place and plastered it ready for an electric fire to be
fitted.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...dfireplace.jpg

And if you are called Brian and you are blind image plaster that reads
like the Himalayas if it was Braille.

--
Adam

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/07/2019 20:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ah economy of plastering brings bumpy finish. Having said that most of the
walls in this 1930s terrace are wobbly tilted, bumpy or curved near corners.
I don't think accuracy was strived for at the time in 1939.
Brian

In my 1905 (ish) house the plaster often curves outwards at the top and
bottom of a 2.8m high internal wall by around an 25mm. No corner seems
to be 90 degrees. Everything seems to have done by eye without using a
straight edge, spirit level or set square. When the windows were
recently replaced it was discovered that the window pillars were not
truly vertical.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

And accuracy (of plastering) had not improved much by 1976, when
my house was built.

The only thing the plasterers had developed to a fine art was
applying a wafer-thin coat of gypsum plaster over the sand and
cement base coat. The latter was also weaker than normal so that
any sort of remedial work breaks through the gypsum top coat and
the base coat disintegrates into sand and fine dust.

Andrew

On 28/07/2019 20:58, Brian Gaff wrote:
Ah economy of plastering brings bumpy finish. Having said that most of the
walls in this 1930s terrace are wobbly tilted, bumpy or curved near corners.
I don't think accuracy was strived for at the time in 1939.
Brian

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ARW wrote:

I managed to find a customer today that has bricked up a fire place
and plastered it ready for an electric fire to be fitted.

It'll sand!

We will see.

I had no SDS drill with me today so I could not actually mount the fire.

It seems that damp is already coming through the wall.

Many people who blocked the chimney flue this way would get huge
blooms on the faces of the stack. Many would call a roofer because they
thought that rain came in from the exterior stack.

....Ray.