Old July 12th 19, 06:44 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Socket terminal screws not grabbing cable....

Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the
cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at either side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common 'problem'?

Wouldn't mind if i'd got them at the pound shop but they came from an
electrical wholesaler.

Old July 12th 19, 07:20 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the
cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at either
side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common 'problem'?

I thought that was how you should do it. The space is to allow
ring main in and ring main out, plus possibly a cable to a single
socket spur. I'd be more annoyed if there wasn't anough space to allow
this.

Old July 12th 19, 07:25 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the
cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at either
side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common 'problem'?

Wouldn't mind if i'd got them at the pound shop but they came from an
electrical wholesaler.

Care to name the brand and model number of the sockets?

--
Adam
Old July 12th 19, 07:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/07/2019 19:20, Andrew wrote:
On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the
cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at either
side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common
'problem'?

I thought that was how you should do it. The space is to allow
ring main in and ring main out, plus possibly a cable to a single
socket spur. I'd be more annoyed if there wasn't anough space to allow
this.

The regs allow for 3 cables without modification. ie no bending double

ISTR BS1363 pt 2

--
Adam
Old July 12th 19, 07:32 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 19:25, ARW wrote:
On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the
cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at either
side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common
'problem'?

Wouldn't mind if i'd got them at the pound shop but they came from an
electrical wholesaler.

Care to name the brand and model number of the sockets?

Selectric Square IIRC.

Old July 12th 19, 07:36 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the
cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at either
side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common
'problem'?

I thought that was how you should do it. The space is to allow
ring main in and ring main out, plus possibly a cable to a single
socket spur. I'd be more annoyed if there wasn't anough space to allow
this.

Plenty of space, my bother is that the terminal screw is too narrow
allowing the cable to slip to either side rather than clamping it.
Old July 12th 19, 07:37 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ARW ARW is offline

On 12/07/2019 19:32, R D S wrote:
On 12/07/2019 19:25, ARW wrote:
On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the
cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at
either side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common
'problem'?

Wouldn't mind if i'd got them at the pound shop but they came from an
electrical wholesaler.

Care to name the brand and model number of the sockets?

Selectric Square IIRC.

I know them.

Square wire holder with a round screw.

Put the cables in diagonally into the screw holder and the screw might
grab them.

--
Adam
Old July 12th 19, 09:09 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 19:37, ARW wrote:
On 12/07/2019 19:32, R D S wrote:
On 12/07/2019 19:25, ARW wrote:
On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw,
the cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at
either side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common
'problem'?

Wouldn't mind if i'd got them at the pound shop but they came from
an electrical wholesaler.

Care to name the brand and model number of the sockets?

Selectric Square IIRC.

I know them.

Square wire holder with a round screw.

Put the cables in diagonally into the screw holder and the screw might
grab them.

Can't see anything wrong with folding double if only putting a single
wire in.
Old July 12th 19, 09:51 PM posted to uk.d-i-y

On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw, the
cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at
either side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common
'problem'?

I thought that was how you should do it. The space is to allow
ring main in and ring main out, plus possibly a cable to a single
socket spur. I'd be more annoyed if there wasn't anough space to allow
this.

Plenty of space, my bother is that the terminal screw is too narrow
allowing the cable to slip to either side rather than clamping it.

There is probably a crimp terminal you can put on if needed.

Maybe
https://cpc.farnell.com/pro-power/st...27a/dp/CN11386

Never used them myself, maybe ARW has and can advise.

Old July 12th 19, 09:53 PM posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 12/07/2019 21:09, newshound wrote:
On 12/07/2019 19:37, ARW wrote:
On 12/07/2019 19:32, R D S wrote:
On 12/07/2019 19:25, ARW wrote:
On 12/07/2019 18:44, R D S wrote:
Bought some sockets today, put the 2.5mm in, tightened the screw,
the cable promptly fell back out as the screw left too much room at
either side.

What would a proper electrician do in this circumstance?
I folded the cable double but not really happy. Is this a common
'problem'?

Wouldn't mind if i'd got them at the pound shop but they came from
an electrical wholesaler.

Care to name the brand and model number of the sockets?

Selectric Square IIRC.

I know them.

Square wire holder with a round screw.

Put the cables in diagonally into the screw holder and the screw might
grab them.

Can't see anything wrong with folding double if only putting a single
wire in.

Or could you file the bottom of the screw flat.