Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default deskjet not grabbing paper- anyone solved this before?

hi ppl, examining the printer paper feed operation with rear cover off
(19Kb)
i can see paper is not being grabbed. it doesnt appear to be a dry
rubber problem. more of the paper is being stopped by tabs (green
arrows) and rolling bushes (red arrows).

any ideas on what could be wrong? i have just bought new ink cartridges
so i would like to keep this printer.
thanks

http://www.geocities.com/xamman19/arrowed_sm.JPG

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Ken is offline

xamman wrote:
hi ppl, examining the printer paper feed operation with rear cover off
(19Kb)
i can see paper is not being grabbed. it doesnt appear to be a dry
rubber problem. more of the paper is being stopped by tabs (green
arrows) and rolling bushes (red arrows).

any ideas on what could be wrong? i have just bought new ink cartridges
so i would like to keep this printer.
thanks

http://www.geocities.com/xamman19/arrowed_sm.JPG

Normally the solution is to clean the draw rollers that pull the paper
into the printer. I believe that HP suggests you use a cloth dampened
with soapy water (dish soap works fine) to clean the rollers. I have
also used alcohol to do this. On my printer you hold the dampened cloth
so that it touches the roller and depress the form feed button on the
printer. Stop when the roller completes a 360 degree cycle and do it to
all the rollers. Also make sure you do not have too little or too much
paper in the paper tray.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"Ken" wrote in message

Normally the solution is to clean the draw rollers that pull the paper
into the printer. I believe that HP suggests you use a cloth dampened
with soapy water (dish soap works fine) to clean the rollers. I have also
used alcohol to do this. On my printer you hold the dampened cloth so
that it touches the roller and depress the form feed button on the
printer. Stop when the roller completes a 360 degree cycle and do it to
all the rollers. Also make sure you do not have too little or too much
paper in the paper tray.

Seems to be a common problem with Oki lasers. Any suggestions for
'softeners' for the rubber rollers?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

i dont think it is a dirty roller as the rollers dont even get to
touch the paper. i could try putting more paper into the paper tray to
see what happens

Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Ken is offline

xamman wrote:
i dont think it is a dirty roller as the rollers dont even get to
touch the paper. i could try putting more paper into the paper tray to
see what happens

Oh, I thought it was simply slipping. I believe that part of the paper
tray is lifted during a feed operation. See if there is an obstruction
at the point where the paper tray meets the printer or make sure the
tray is inserted fully. Not sure however???

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

i tried adding more paper. now at 1cm of paper in tray the printer
grabs a sheet each time.

i closed the rear (as otherwise the paper would just be ejected out the
back) and did some test prints. however i am noticing each page is
emerging with the front end bent at the right
(photo 13kb below) . what does this suggest to you?

http://www.geocities.com/xamman19/bent.JPG

thx

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

xamman wrote:

hi ppl, examining the printer paper feed operation with rear cover off
(19Kb)
i can see paper is not being grabbed. it doesnt appear to be a dry
rubber problem. more of the paper is being stopped by tabs (green
arrows) and rolling bushes (red arrows).

any ideas on what could be wrong? i have just bought new ink
cartridges so i would like to keep this printer.
thanks

http://www.geocities.com/xamman19/arrowed_sm.JPG

From the picture, the paper feed rollers look quite worn !

My standard method for improving the pickup is to clean the rollers with
a damp cloth and a spot of detergent. If that doesn't improve things,
gently abrade the rubber with a nail board. Also if you look carefully
you will see a cam that lifts the paper tray. Lack of lubrication
causes severe wear. The effect is that you need to put more paper in
the tray so that it is lifted up high enough for the feed rollers to
grab. Use white grease for plastic on the surface of the cam.

HTH

--
Baron:
Posted to sci.electronics.repair
Ken Ken is offline

xamman wrote:
i tried adding more paper. now at 1cm of paper in tray the printer
grabs a sheet each time.

i closed the rear (as otherwise the paper would just be ejected out the
back) and did some test prints. however i am noticing each page is
emerging with the front end bent at the right
(photo 13kb below) . what does this suggest to you?

http://www.geocities.com/xamman19/bent.JPG

thx

Baron has as good a suggestion as I could give. Look carefully at the
paper tray, particularly the part that lifts. Also look at the rollers
and see if there is any obstruction. Most of the time you can find some
reason for a sheet feed failure, but you could be working with worn parts?