Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Wago 222-412 test port - blanked off when connected?

Having "interesting times" with my extension of the 13A ring main in the
office.

I don't have power where I expected it, so I am trying to do some
sensible, logical testing.

As discussed elsewhere I am using Wago 222-412 connectors.

The blurb, including the PDF from Wago, talks about the test port but
doesn't give any more detail.

There is an obvious test port (well, it is the only access point apart
from where the wires go in). It is on the top just behind the orange
levers.

However when everything is connected up and I stick a test probe down
there I don't get any reading.

A quick test on a spare one plus some squinting with a Mk 1 eyeball seems
to show that when you push the levers down to grip the wires the test port
is closed off.

At least, when I look down this test post I can see "shiny" with the
levers up, and when the lever comes down something moves across and
obscures this.

If I use a buzzer to check for continuity (one probe in the wire space,
one down the test port) then I don't get a buzz with both clips closed,
but if I lift one clip and see "shiny" then I can get a buzz.

All this suggests that the test port does not work when the wiring is
installed and you have to lift one clip (freeing off the wire to move)
before you can test.

It does not seem logical.
Am I missing something obvious?

Cheers

Dave R

---

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 07 Jul 2019 14:02:48 +0000, David wrote:

[...]

More testing with a marginally thinner probe shows that the test port
works.

You just have to lean on the probe quite strongly.

Oh, well.

Back to testing.

Cheers

Dave R