Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default DIY NAS. RPi4B?

On 02/07/2019 20:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 01/07/2019 21:57, Bob Eager wrote:
The RPI3 seems to idle at about 40 degrees. General consensus is that the
RPI4 idles at 60 degrees or so.

I'll bend some ears next time I see them.

It's true, and apparently it usually doesn't matter.

Incidentally I noticed a bunch of Pi3s in one of our labs. They all have
heat sinks on the SoC.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 21:34:16 +0100, Vir Campestris
wrote:

On 02/07/2019 20:57, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 01/07/2019 21:57, Bob Eager wrote:
The RPI3 seems to idle at about 40 degrees. General consensus is that the
RPI4 idles at 60 degrees or so.

I'll bend some ears next time I see them.

It's true, and apparently it usually doesn't matter.

Incidentally I noticed a bunch of Pi3s in one of our labs. They all have
heat sinks on the SoC.

I generally put small heatsinks on my RPi's even if they don't
actually need them as I prefer things running cool than hot (even
though it may not be 'hot' by the chips standards). ;-)

My 60 x 18mm copper bar arrived today so I'll face one end up on the
lathe and just stand it on the SoC with a bit of thermal paste and see
what happens.

I know it's mainly going to be just a heat 'sink' in that format but I
am interested to see how much it will also radiate / convect.

The idea is to turn all but a few mm down to say 14mm OD to provide a
ledge for a compression spring and then thread the end where it will
poke though the lid of the case to take a finned cooler. I may 3D
print a 'spider' to sit on top of the PCB to ensure the heat pipe bit
stays in place.

Given it doesn't generally need any form of sink, this should do the
trick. ;-)

Cheers, T i m

p.s. I think daughter could do with some sort of (RAID1) NAS in her
flat but because she's on a PrePaid meter, we want to keep the power
consumption down as much as possible. Without using a PC (size, noise,
power consumption) and thinking of a Pi4B here (with it's faster USB
and Ethernet), might be able to support say two laptop type external
USB3 hard drives (duplex) and still be useable?

4TB RAID1 (albeit 'soft' RAID etc) for less than £250 v say a SD218j
for around £400?