Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Cement keeping

I've had most of a opened bag of cement stored in my dry hut, wrapped
in a moisture proof bag, for the past almost 3 years, dipping in as
needed - none of which has been for structural work, just odd bits of
repointing etc.

The only difference has been now it seems to have developed some small
lumps, which disappear in the mixing and it takes much longer to fully
set up.

I've read six months is the limit of useabiity.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have learnt to my cost that using old cement is not worth the hassle. I believe it is 3 months if you can keep it completely damp proof. I have had cement which looked completely workable mixed up into concrete only to have the whole lot go crumbly within 12 months. Even though I have a dry garage with little condensation any leftover bags are dumped after 3 months.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 05/07/2019 12:20, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I've had most of a opened bag of cement stored in my dry hut, wrapped in
a moisture proof bag, for the past almost 3 years, dipping in as needed
- none of which has been for structural work, just odd bits of
repointing etc.

The only difference has been now it seems to have developed some small
lumps, which disappear in the mixing and it takes much longer to fully
set up.

I've read six months is the limit of useabiity.

I have some grout 16 years old that behaved like that, It did set in
about 4 days but was and is not quite as 'rock solid' as it should be.
Its a bit easy to scrape off

--
"First, find out who are the people you can not criticise. They are your
oppressors."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 5 July 2019 12:20:07 UTC+1, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I've had most of a opened bag of cement stored in my dry hut, wrapped
in a moisture proof bag, for the past almost 3 years, dipping in as
needed - none of which has been for structural work, just odd bits of
repointing etc.

The only difference has been now it seems to have developed some small
lumps, which disappear in the mixing and it takes much longer to fully
set up.

I've read six months is the limit of useabiity.

you'll find it's lost most of its final strength