Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Sewer pipes breathing twice ?

From the manhole of the victorian sewer I have one pipe going up the outside of the house, with a branch from the upstairs toilet, then up to the top where it breathes.

But there's another pipe going up about five feet to a grill. This smells. But what's the point of it if the sewer can breathe through the pipe at the roof?

Can I block it with cement?

Or could there be a reason for it?

George
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/06/2019 14:58, George Miles wrote:
From the manhole of the victorian sewer I have one pipe going up the outside of the house, with a branch from the upstairs toilet, then up to the top where it breathes.

But there's another pipe going up about five feet to a grill. This smells. But what's the point of it if the sewer can breathe through the pipe at the roof?

Can I block it with cement?

Or could there be a reason for it?

George

Put an air admittance valve on it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Were perhaps the toilets or toilet retrofitted, IE the breathing at the low
level is very much older than the new one? Are we sure they are on the same
sewer? If it is, personally, I'd put a bung in it, but there you go!
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Farmer Giles" wrote in message
On 22/06/2019 14:58, George Miles wrote:
From the manhole of the victorian sewer I have one pipe going up the
outside of the house, with a branch from the upstairs toilet, then up to
the top where it breathes.

But there's another pipe going up about five feet to a grill. This
smells. But what's the point of it if the sewer can breathe through the
pipe at the roof?

Can I block it with cement?

Or could there be a reason for it?

George

Put an air admittance valve on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sun, 23 Jun 2019 09:11:38 +0100, "Brian Gaff"
wrote:

Were perhaps the toilets or toilet retrofitted, IE the breathing at the low
level is very much older than the new one? Are we sure they are on the same
sewer? If it is, personally, I'd put a bung in it, but there you go!
Brian

+1
I had similar and just cut it off below ground level, bunged it up and
laid the patio over it. There's a nearby external inspection cover for
the sewer, and a drain gulley, so if the sewer ever gets blocked any
overflow will come out there rather than find it's way into the
house.