Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

Default Rotten Rafters

Hi all,

Just about to get the house re-roofed and have noticed that at the
extremities there are a handful of rafters which have developed some form
of rot due to the incursion of rainwater. No evidence of woodworm AFAICT.
So the lowest 10-14" of the affected rafters really need attention before
the new roof goes on.
Is there some way of replacing *just* the rotten bits? We're only talking
of the most outside rafters closest to the exterior walls at the point
where they meet the guttering line.
How to proceed, please.....?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Al" wrote in message
Hi all,

Just about to get the house re-roofed and have noticed that at the
extremities there are a handful of rafters which have developed some form
of rot due to the incursion of rainwater. No evidence of woodworm AFAICT.
So the lowest 10-14" of the affected rafters really need attention before
the new roof goes on.
Is there some way of replacing *just* the rotten bits? We're only talking
of the most outside rafters closest to the exterior walls at the point
where they meet the guttering line.
How to proceed, please.....?

bolt new timbers on to the side of good wood .......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2019 19:47, Al wrote:
Hi all,

Just about to get the house re-roofed and have noticed that at the
extremities there are a handful of rafters which have developed some form
of rot due to the incursion of rainwater. No evidence of woodworm AFAICT.
So the lowest 10-14" of the affected rafters really need attention before
the new roof goes on.
Is there some way of replacing *just* the rotten bits? We're only talking
of the most outside rafters closest to the exterior walls at the point
where they meet the guttering line.
How to proceed, please.....?

yes.new wood can be spliced in

Non trivial tho

Photos?

--
"A point of view can be a dangerous luxury when substituted for insight
and understanding".

Marshall McLuhan

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2019 19:47, Al wrote:
Hi all,

Just about to get the house re-roofed and have noticed that at the
extremities there are a handful of rafters which have developed some form
of rot due to the incursion of rainwater. No evidence of woodworm AFAICT.
So the lowest 10-14" of the affected rafters really need attention before
the new roof goes on.
Is there some way of replacing *just* the rotten bits? We're only talking
of the most outside rafters closest to the exterior walls at the point
where they meet the guttering line.
How to proceed, please.....?

In your situation, it would be quicker and cheaper to replace the rafter.

Once the tiles have been taken off, the battens and felt, the rafters
would be exposed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
Al Al is offline

On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 22:16:55 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

In your situation, it would be quicker and cheaper to replace the
rafter.

Once the tiles have been taken off, the battens and felt, the rafters
would be exposed.

That's not going to fly I'm afraid. Once that lot is exposed, the roofers
will be keen to crack on with the new roof and I will be keen as hell to
let them, lest an unforecast downpour should occur.
Plus replacement of individual rafters is not a trivial job, even if they
are all exposed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2019 23:13, Al wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 22:16:55 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

In your situation, it would be quicker and cheaper to replace the
rafter.

Once the tiles have been taken off, the battens and felt, the rafters
would be exposed.

That's not going to fly I'm afraid. Once that lot is exposed, the roofers
will be keen to crack on with the new roof and I will be keen as hell to
let them, lest an unforecast downpour should occur.
Plus replacement of individual rafters is not a trivial job, even if they
are all exposed.

You don't have to replace them, just slap a good one in beside the
failing one.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/06/2019 23:13, Al wrote:
On Fri, 21 Jun 2019 22:16:55 +0100, Fredxx wrote:

In your situation, it would be quicker and cheaper to replace the
rafter.

Once the tiles have been taken off, the battens and felt, the rafters
would be exposed.

That's not going to fly I'm afraid. Once that lot is exposed, the roofers
will be keen to crack on with the new roof and I will be keen as hell to
let them, lest an unforecast downpour should occur.
Plus replacement of individual rafters is not a trivial job, even if they
are all exposed.

+1.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx