David

Default Whats the best way to drill a 6" whole in my wall?

Ive just bought an air conditioner and it has a pipe out the back of
it which is about 6" diameter that blows out the hot air and needs to
vent to outside. Currently I have got it dangling out the window, but
this is far from ideal as the window is up high and the pipe is on
full stretch to reach it and the pipe itself gives off quite a bit of
heat and the window needs to be open etc etc.

Ideally I need to cut a 6" hole in the side of my house and put some
sort of vent thing in. The only way I can think of doing this is to
draw the circle on the wall and then drill lots of little holes round
the circumferance.

Is there a better way of doing this? I looked at a large bore diamond
cutter from HSS, but they wanted about £70 a day to hire it!

Any help greatly appreciated!

David Bevan
http://www.davidbevan.co.uk

PS - I take it its ok to put a 6" hole in an external (structural)
wall?
Grunff

David wrote:
Ive just bought an air conditioner and it has a pipe out the back of
it which is about 6" diameter that blows out the hot air and needs to
vent to outside. Currently I have got it dangling out the window, but
this is far from ideal as the window is up high and the pipe is on
full stretch to reach it and the pipe itself gives off quite a bit of
heat and the window needs to be open etc etc.

Ideally I need to cut a 6" hole in the side of my house and put some
sort of vent thing in. The only way I can think of doing this is to
draw the circle on the wall and then drill lots of little holes round
the circumferance.

Is there a better way of doing this? I looked at a large bore diamond
cutter from HSS, but they wanted about £70 a day to hire it!

Really depends on what the wall is made of. For block or brick, a core
drill is by far the best way. You can hire one, but as you have found
they aren't cheap. £70 for a day is a little high - I think £40-£50
(including SDS Max drill and transformer) is more like it.

Alternatively, you can drill lots of holes and chisle.

PS - I take it its ok to put a 6" hole in an external (structural)
wall?

Again, depends on what the wall is made of, but with most wall yes, it's
fine.

--
Grunff
TheScullster

Go to LOCAL tool hire company.
Tell them you need it for one hole only - not a building site of 40 houses.
I got a 5" core drill with extension and drill and transformer and pilot
drill for £15.
Pilot drill was blunt, but who's complaining?

Phil

Andrew Gabriel

In article ,
Grunff writes:

PS - I take it its ok to put a 6" hole in an external (structural)
wall?

Again, depends on what the wall is made of, but with most wall yes, it's
fine.

.... and assuming it's not in a 9" supporting pillar between two
openings or similar ;-)

--
Andrew Gabriel
Alex

"TheScullster" wrote in message
Go to LOCAL tool hire company.
Tell them you need it for one hole only - not a building site of 40

houses.
I got a 5" core drill with extension and drill and transformer and pilot
drill for £15.
Pilot drill was blunt, but who's complaining?

Phil

When I hire core drills, I just pay for the wear, and they always just
charge me for 0.5mm - because I only ever use them for one hole I guess!

Last time I hired one, it was for a 110mm soil pipe, it cost me £12. It was
Jewsons, I do have a trade account with them, and that price didn't include
drill - so next time I'll try my small local place to see what they can
offer.

Thanks Phil..

Alex

Harry Bloomfield

David presented the following explanation :
Ideally I need to cut a 6" hole in the side of my house and put some
sort of vent thing in. The only way I can think of doing this is to
draw the circle on the wall and then drill lots of little holes round
the circumferance.

Is there a better way of doing this? I looked at a large bore diamond
cutter from HSS, but they wanted about £70 a day to hire it!

You gave no clues as to the material from which the wall is built, nor
its thickness. Assuming a normal cavity brick outer wall, you might
consider simply taking bricks out as best you can (hammer and chisel),
inserting some pipe, then filling in with bricks and morter to the new
pipe.

Drilling the morter out first will aid in getting the bricks free and
reduce the hammering effort.

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)
http://www.ukradioamateur.org

jacob

I'm doing a 24" 52mm dia hole with a just bought diamond core bit
from Screwyou. Had a go but it seems slow - but it is limestone which
seems harder than anything, harder than granite?
Any tips on using it? Presumably not sds rotary/hammer but rotary
only? Fast or slow? Pre drill with long bit?

cheers

Jacob
jacob

Whats the best way to drill a 6" whole in my wall?
Tempted to say - in 6 one inch parts, but I've been at the old
Pedigree again. (Marstons that is)

cheers

Jacob
Jerry Built

jacob wrote:
I'm doing a 24" 52mm dia hole with a just bought diamond
core bit from Screwyou. Had a go but it seems slow - but it
is limestone which seems harder than anything, harder than
granite?

Limestone is much, much softer than granite...

Any tips on using it? Presumably not sds rotary/hammer but
rotary only? Fast or slow? Pre drill with long bit?

Your problem may be that the soft limestone is clogging the
bit, especially if the stone is at all damp. Perhaps withdrawing
the bit frequently and cleaning it might help, I don't know.

J.B.

G&M

"jacob" wrote in message
om...
I'm doing a 24" 52mm dia hole with a just bought diamond core bit
from Screwyou.

Had a go but it seems slow - but it is limestone which
seems harder than anything, harder than granite?

No. Limestone, gritstone and sandstone are in the middle of the stone
strength league.

jacob

Jerry Built wrote in message .. .
jacob wrote:
I'm doing a 24" 52mm dia hole with a just bought diamond
core bit from Screwyou. Had a go but it seems slow - but it
is limestone which seems harder than anything, harder than
granite?

Limestone is much, much softer than granite...

Any tips on using it? Presumably not sds rotary/hammer but
rotary only? Fast or slow? Pre drill with long bit?

Your problem may be that the soft limestone is clogging the
bit, especially if the stone is at all damp. Perhaps withdrawing
the bit frequently and cleaning it might help, I don't know.

J.B.

Limestone varies a lot. Ours (mid Derbyshire) is very hard. You can't
touch it with an ordinary hammer drill, only SDS. Quite different
from soft limestone further east.
Anyway I've done the whole hole 52mm dia 24" wall. It took about 4
hours - hard work cos you have to push hard all the time.
I found that the guide drill is only for starting the hole - once you
are in you don't need it and it slows things down, or shakes loose
(morse taper). It cuts slower than the core bit. Its quicker to start
the hole with an SDS bit - rotary drilling no good on limestone. And
then use the kit bit until the core bit is well in and self guiding.
Also have to hold the drill carefully so that if it jams and spins it
doesn't wack your thumbs off etc. Loose rubble in the middle also a
prob - had to apply chisel and break it up, extracting with a vac
hose.
I've either wrecked my drill, or bosch sds drills have torque limiter
which I didn't know about before. Seems ok now though.
Eventually cut through to the outside and through soft render
perfectly cleanly and straight..
Tedious, but a lot quicker than excavating a big hole and making good
again after.
A 6" whole would be difficult with a small drill I think. Big heavy
machine with clutch and long handles for leverage perhaps.
I guess most stone and brick would be a lot easier.

cheers

Jacob
rockdoctor

Are you using lots of water? Diamond likes water - ideal is if you can
get someone else to put a light hose spray on the job the whole time
you are drilling the hole. Massively increases penetration rate, saves
diamonds, makes lots of sludgy mess though.
Meg Hertz

(David) wrote in message . com...

Q: What's the best way to drill a 6" hole in my wall?
A: Get a G-nothing to try and drill a small hole for you.

boom, boom.

*MegHz*

Jerry Built

"MattD.." wrote:
Meg Hertz wrote:
Q: What's the best way to drill a 6" hole in my wall?
A: Get a G-nothing to try and drill a small hole for you.

boom, boom.

) Like it!

I don't understand it!