Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Crocodile roller shutter style garage door

I have the same unit they keep advertising on TV by that builder type
bloke, but it is not a Crocodile supplied unit, though the identical
electrical/mechanicals.

Today it opened further than it is supposed to do, jammed itself on the
roll and the motor kept running and seems to have done itself some
internal damage. I managed to release it/unwind it and the door shot
down to the fully closed position. Motor makes a noise, when pressing
the open button, but the door hardly moves as if something on the drive
has stripped.

So I'm looking for some information on the internals of the drive
system. The spindle is around 4.5" diameter and includes the motor and
obviously must have some sort of concentric gear drive, which I suspect
is the issue.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Harry Bloomfield wrote :
I have the same unit they keep advertising on TV by that builder type bloke,
but it is not a Crocodile supplied unit, though the identical
electrical/mechanicals.

Today it opened further than it is supposed to do, jammed itself on the roll
and the motor kept running and seems to have done itself some internal
damage. I managed to release it/unwind it and the door shot down to the fully
closed position. Motor makes a noise, when pressing the open button, but the
door hardly moves as if something on the drive has stripped.

So I'm looking for some information on the internals of the drive system. The
spindle is around 4.5" diameter and includes the motor and obviously must
have some sort of concentric gear drive, which I suspect is the issue.

The manual open/close drive also does nothing at all, no resistance to
turning the manual drive rod at all.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/19 17:17, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Harry Bloomfield wrote :
I have the same unit they keep advertising on TV by that builder type bloke,
but it is not a Crocodile supplied unit, though the identical
electrical/mechanicals.

Today it opened further than it is supposed to do, jammed itself on the roll
and the motor kept running and seems to have done itself some internal
damage. I managed to release it/unwind it and the door shot down to the fully
closed position. Motor makes a noise, when pressing the open button, but the
door hardly moves as if something on the drive has stripped.

So I'm looking for some information on the internals of the drive system. The
spindle is around 4.5" diameter and includes the motor and obviously must
have some sort of concentric gear drive, which I suspect is the issue.

The manual open/close drive also does nothing at all, no resistance to
turning the manual drive rod at all.

Have you tried contacting the manufacturer? They /might/ have spares
available.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2019 17:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have the same unit they keep advertising on TV by that builder type
bloke, but it is not a Crocodile supplied unit, though the identical
electrical/mechanicals.

Today it opened further than it is supposed to do, jammed itself on the
roll and the motor kept running and seems to have done itself some
internal damage. I managed to release it/unwind it and the door shot
down to the fully closed position. Motor makes a noise, when pressing
the open button, but the door hardly moves as if something on the drive
has stripped.

So I'm looking for some information on the internals of the drive
system. The spindle is around 4.5" diameter and includes the motor and
obviously must have some sort of concentric gear drive, which I suspect
is the issue.

oh dear I have just ordered one of those.....

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2019 17:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have the same unit they keep advertising on TV by that builder type
bloke, but it is not a Crocodile supplied unit, though the identical
electrical/mechanicals.

When we had ours installed, we looked at several suppliers. The
brochures, while superficially different, certainly seemed to be
offering the same door, perhaps with a different colour/style control box.

Today it opened further than it is supposed to do, jammed itself on the
roll and the motor kept running and seems to have done itself some
internal damage.

That seems the wrong way around. Ours is on the roll when open and
unwound when closed.

I managed to release it/unwind it and the door shot
down to the fully closed position. Motor makes a noise, when pressing
the open button, but the door hardly moves as if something on the drive
has stripped.

I suspect the gears will be plastic (maybe nylon). If you are lucky, it
could be that something has come loose and 'jumped' out of engagement.

I'd not like to have to lift down the door assembly- ours (a double
width one), looks bl**dy heavy. It may be worth getting in the person
who installed it.

So I'm looking for some information on the internals of the drive
system. The spindle is around 4.5" diameter and includes the motor and
obviously must have some sort of concentric gear drive, which I suspect
is the issue.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 15 May 2019 19:38:06 UTC+1, Brian Reay wrote:
[...]

It took 2 of us to do a single roller shutter so I expect you'll need 2 or 3.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 15/05/2019 17:14, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
I have the same unit they keep advertising on TV by that builder type
bloke, but it is not a Crocodile supplied unit, though the identical
electrical/mechanicals.

Today it opened further than it is supposed to do, jammed itself on the
roll and the motor kept running and seems to have done itself some
internal damage. I managed to release it/unwind it and the door shot
down to the fully closed position. Motor makes a noise, when pressing
the open button, but the door hardly moves as if something on the drive
has stripped.

So I'm looking for some information on the internals of the drive
system. The spindle is around 4.5" diameter and includes the motor and
obviously must have some sort of concentric gear drive, which I suspect
is the issue.

When I had to fix one of mine last year I found that the motor/gearbox
assemblies were easily available on the web (I managed to fix mine so
didn't need to buy a replacement) - I think they're called tube motors.
Mine have a couple of internal adjustable limit switches.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 16/05/2019 06:48, Brian Gaff wrote:
Probably failure of that that caused the initial fault as normally a limit
switch would stop the motor.
Brian

Any decent system would have a limit switch to stop the motor at the
correct point and a second one if it passed that, with the second one
not allowing return and needing manual intervention - thus revealing the
fault.

SteveW

Posted to uk.d-i-y

explained on 15/05/2019 :
I'd not like to have to lift down the door assembly- ours (a double
width one), looks bl**dy heavy. It may be worth getting in the person
who installed it.

It took 2 of us to do a single roller shutter so I expect you'll need 2 or 3.

I installed it and single handed, it was quite a struggle.

I delved into it today and all the drive cogs are steel and I found the
problem...

It drives via a shaft around 3/8" diameter, but the shaft is machined
with a deliberate weak point, where it is reduced in diameter to around
1/16" intended to sheer if it is overloaded. I suspect the 1/16th was
less than intended diameter, hence the reason it snapped. The manual
crank handle works via the same shaft, so no possibility to even
operate it manually. I have tracked down a new replacement unit for £60
delivered, from a Norwich company, so in the interests of expediency I
have ordered one from them. Which is cheap for what it is - tube motor,
gearbox and limit system. They are quite a clever and very compact
design. They extend only a couple of feet inside the barrel, the tube
that the door winds on to and off. The motor body rotates with the
tube/barrel so is fed via a clever slip ring system.

I have in mind to repair the old one, to keep on the shelf as a spare.
Maybe machine some steel tube to fit over the shaft break, drill and
pin.

Remote control for roller shutter door Fredxxx UK diy 2 October 28th 16 12:58 AM
Roller shutter garage doors Bald eagle UK diy 29 April 1st 15 03:37 PM
Garage roller shutter door kev UK diy 3 October 20th 14 08:46 PM
Garage roller shutter door recommendations? Bob[_62_] UK diy 15 September 18th 14 09:58 PM
small industrial roller shutter door Tim Lamb UK diy 2 November 26th 07 08:59 AM