Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Artex

Hi,
This is really a continuation of the plasterbord ceiling
question.

I am about to redecorate a room and the artex ceiling is suffering
from splitting along the perimeter of the plasterboard panels.

I made a fairly strong mix of PVA and tile cement [it was white and
anything else resembling filler has long since formed "marbles"].

I whacked this on with a roller and it seems to be covering the
cracks. I'm tempted to continue with PVA and finishing plaster. Any
thoughts?

Incidentally the original reccomendation of flexible caulk sounded
brilliant, but with Artex :-(

AB

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span
the hours spent in fishing.

~Babylonian Proverb

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2019 09:53, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Hi,
This is really a continuation of the plasterbord ceiling
question.

I am about to redecorate a room and the artex ceiling is suffering
from splitting along the perimeter of the plasterboard panels.

I made a fairly strong mix of PVA and tile cement [it was white and
anything else resembling filler has long since formed "marbles"].

I whacked this on with a roller and it seems to be covering the
cracks. I'm tempted to continue with PVA and finishing plaster. Any
thoughts?

Incidentally the original reccomendation of flexible caulk sounded
brilliant, but with Artex :-(

AB

The gods do not deduct from man's allotted span
the hours spent in fishing.

~Babylonian Proverb

You will never avoid cracks at the 90 degree joint between wall and
ceiling unless you install an aircon system that keeps the room at
a constant humidity and temperature all year round.

As we go from winter (heating on full, dry air) to July (hot and
humid) the ceiling will expand and contract naturally.

The only viable solution is to put up decent coving. This will
act as a 'flexible' joint cover.

Either that or overboard it with decorative panels like the
ones made by Parador (German company) which have a special
decorative edging strip.

Or you could just do it the quick-n-cheap way, by using
something like Polycell Fine Surface filler and push this
into the cracks using your finger.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2019 12:51, Andrew wrote:
You will never avoid cracks at the 90 degree joint between wall and
ceiling unless you install an aircon system that keeps the room at
a constant humidity and temperature all year round.

Utter ********

Josef Stalin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 April 2019 09:53:08 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Hi,
This is really a continuation of the plasterbord ceiling
question.

I am about to redecorate a room and the artex ceiling is suffering
from splitting along the perimeter of the plasterboard panels.

I made a fairly strong mix of PVA and tile cement [it was white and
anything else resembling filler has long since formed "marbles"].

I whacked this on with a roller and it seems to be covering the
cracks. I'm tempted to continue with PVA and finishing plaster. Any
thoughts?

Incidentally the original reccomendation of flexible caulk sounded
brilliant, but with Artex :-(

AB

You can certainly use that as filler.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2019 12:51, Andrew wrote:
You will never avoid cracks at the 90 degree joint between wall and
ceiling unless you install an aircon system that keeps the room at
a constant humidity and temperature all year round.

Utter ********

Non-negotiable fact.

We don't all live in 'kit build' 'faux timber framed'
buildings like yours.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/04/2019 13:47, Andrew wrote:
On 27/04/2019 12:51, Andrew wrote:
You will never avoid cracks at the 90 degree joint between wall and
ceiling unless you install an aircon system that keeps the room at
a constant humidity and temperature all year round.

Utter ********

Non-negotiable fact.

We don't all live in 'kit build' 'faux timber framed'
buildings like yours.

non negotiable fact. It doesnt make a blind bit of difference,

And my house is not kit built and is 100% real wood framed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 13:49:17 +0100, Andrew
wrote:

On 27/04/2019 13:34, wrote:
On Saturday, 27 April 2019 09:53:08 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Hi,
This is really a continuation of the plasterbord ceiling
question.

I am about to redecorate a room and the artex ceiling is suffering
from splitting along the perimeter of the plasterboard panels.

I made a fairly strong mix of PVA and tile cement [it was white and
anything else resembling filler has long since formed "marbles"].

I whacked this on with a roller and it seems to be covering the
cracks. I'm tempted to continue with PVA and finishing plaster. Any
thoughts?

Incidentally the original reccomendation of flexible caulk sounded
brilliant, but with Artex :-(

AB

You can certainly use that as filler.

NT

You could always buy bag of artex-repair or even the proper stuff
and just mix a stodgier mix and use that as filler.

Thanks,
I thought the plaster/ PVA mix might work it's way into
the almost hairline crack. I am tempted to give it a go and it would
have the advantage of "smoothing" the Artex a bit.

I have flexible caulk for the ceiling/ wall junction and know exactly
where you are coming from with your humidity/ temperature statement.

It is logical and I cannot understand why every ceiling doesn't crack
along the plasterboard edges.

I also find it difficult to comprehend why a mesh in concrete aids
strength, when it seems more likely that the differing expansion rates
would leave a buckled mesh with cracked concrete adhering in a few
places.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
On 27/04/2019 13:34, tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

any filler works. People put way too much emphasis on their fear that it will fall out or fail to stop recracking.

I have flexible caulk for the ceiling/ wall junction and know exactly
where you are coming from with your humidity/ temperature statement.

It is logical and I cannot understand why every ceiling doesn't crack
along the plasterboard edges.

I also find it difficult to comprehend why a mesh in concrete aids
strength, when it seems more likely that the differing expansion rates
would leave a buckled mesh with cracked concrete adhering in a few
places.

AB

differing expansion rates only show up if you temperature swing it enough.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 27 April 2019 09:53:08 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Hi,
This is really a continuation of the plasterbord ceiling
question.

I am about to redecorate a room and the artex ceiling is suffering
from splitting along the perimeter of the plasterboard panels.

I made a fairly strong mix of PVA and tile cement [it was white and
anything else resembling filler has long since formed "marbles"].

I whacked this on with a roller and it seems to be covering the
cracks. I'm tempted to continue with PVA and finishing plaster. Any
thoughts?

You need to put scrim over the joints before you put anything on top.
This is a complete fix.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323047875459?chn=ps

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 11:46:24 -0700 (PDT), harry
wrote:

On Saturday, 27 April 2019 09:53:08 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
Hi,
This is really a continuation of the plasterbord ceiling
question.

I am about to redecorate a room and the artex ceiling is suffering
from splitting along the perimeter of the plasterboard panels.

I made a fairly strong mix of PVA and tile cement [it was white and
anything else resembling filler has long since formed "marbles"].

I whacked this on with a roller and it seems to be covering the
cracks. I'm tempted to continue with PVA and finishing plaster. Any
thoughts?

You need to put scrim over the joints before you put anything on top.
This is a complete fix.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/323047875459?chn=ps

Thanks, but it's a little late to do anything like that now.

If it lasts a few years without looking a mess, I'll be happy though.

AB

Paint won't stick to Artex type ceiling Warren Owen UK diy 9 September 1st 05 09:53 PM
artex william callander UK diy 2 October 3rd 04 02:38 AM
Artex removal/covering/plastering wattie UK diy 3 May 12th 04 11:29 PM
Artex Pat Davis UK diy 34 October 31st 03 01:18 PM
Artex again David UK diy 4 October 9th 03 09:21 PM