Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Artex

On Saturday, 27 April 2019 16:45:12 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sat, 27 Apr 2019 13:49:17 +0100, Andrew
wrote:
On 27/04/2019 13:34, tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 27 April 2019 09:53:08 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:

Hi,
This is really a continuation of the plasterbord ceiling
question.

I am about to redecorate a room and the artex ceiling is suffering
from splitting along the perimeter of the plasterboard panels.

I made a fairly strong mix of PVA and tile cement [it was white and
anything else resembling filler has long since formed "marbles"].

I whacked this on with a roller and it seems to be covering the
cracks. I'm tempted to continue with PVA and finishing plaster. Any
thoughts?

Incidentally the original reccomendation of flexible caulk sounded
brilliant, but with Artex :-(

AB

You can certainly use that as filler.

NT

You could always buy bag of artex-repair or even the proper stuff
and just mix a stodgier mix and use that as filler.

Thanks,
I thought the plaster/ PVA mix might work it's way into
the almost hairline crack. I am tempted to give it a go and it would
have the advantage of "smoothing" the Artex a bit.

any filler works. People put way too much emphasis on their fear that it will fall out or fail to stop recracking.

I have flexible caulk for the ceiling/ wall junction and know exactly
where you are coming from with your humidity/ temperature statement.

It is logical and I cannot understand why every ceiling doesn't crack
along the plasterboard edges.

I also find it difficult to comprehend why a mesh in concrete aids
strength, when it seems more likely that the differing expansion rates
would leave a buckled mesh with cracked concrete adhering in a few
places.

AB

differing expansion rates only show up if you temperature swing it enough.

NT