Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Poor quality connections

I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

Owain

I recently discovered Wago connectors. So far they seem pretty good.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 25 Apr 2019 05:27:35 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

I managed to over-tighten screw on an MK socket, which stripped the
screw. When I made a warranty claim, they did not dispute it. Surely
a screw should be close to indestructible?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2019 13:27, wrote:
I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

Owain

Well hopefully they are accessible so the smoke might
attract your attention.

OTOH, there's no knowing what a previous owner has done.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2019 13:37, Erik the Pink wrote:
wrote:
I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some
terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on
conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

Owain

I recently discovered Wago connectors. So far they seem pretty good.

Were they contained inside a box of some sort ?.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 April 2019 14:35:06 UTC+1, Andrew wrote:
Were they contained inside a box of some sort ?.

I was trying to put them in a box, yes. These were new terminal strips which I think I bought a couple of years ago, although I can't find the original details, and was fitting today. I know I bought a bulk load of them in various sizes in preparation for rewiring.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

Where did you buy them?

I'd expect the head of the screw to become chewed up long before the
housing split.

--
*Kill one man and you're a murderer, kill a million youand 're a conqueror.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew wrote:

On 25/04/2019 13:27, wrote:
I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some
terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on
conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

Owain

Well hopefully they are accessible so the smoke might
attract your attention.

Does accessible imply no effective smoke barrier? I'm not convinced.

OTOH, there's no knowing what a previous owner has done.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 25/04/2019 13:27, wrote:
I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

Owain

I've had exactly the same thing.

Bill
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

I managed to over-tighten screw on an MK socket, which stripped the
screw. When I made a warranty claim, they did not dispute it. Surely
a screw should be close to indestructible?

Don't be silly, they are easy to strip with all that mechanical
advantage they offer.

Screw terminals as crude as terminal strips should be banned.

Any good screw termination would have a little "tongue" under the screw
to make contact with the wire not some rough finished screw.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on conductors.

Now I'm wondering where else in the house they're lurking ...

No wonder there are electrical fires.

Where did you buy them?

I'd expect the head of the screw to become chewed up long before the
housing split.

Screws tend to be made out of fairly hard materials like brass or steel.

The housings could be made of anything like copper or brass.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some
terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on
conductors.

The metal block used to be solid brass (or nickel alloy?) in a
rectangular section, now it's extruded in that keyhole shape to save
metal and machining - I imagine if the extrusion isn't done at the right
speed/temperature or there are inclusions then that's the place it's
going to fail. I wonder if the screws are brassed steel these days,
rather than proper brass.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 April 2019 19:50:49 UTC+1, Rob Morley wrote:
The metal block used to be solid brass (or nickel alloy?) in a
rectangular section, now it's extruded in that keyhole shape to save
metal and machining - I imagine if the extrusion isn't done at the right
speed/temperature or there are inclusions then that's the place it's
going to fail.

I estimate it's considerably less than 1 mm at the thinnest place.

I wonder if the screws are brassed steel these days,
rather than proper brass.

Some of them were slightly magnetic, so probably.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 25 April 2019 15:40:01 UTC+1, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Where did you buy them?

I don't know. I can't find a record of an online purchase, so I wonder if it was Wickes?

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

I was having some difficulty getting a good tight fitting of some
terminal strips and when I examined them I realised why.

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...nal-blocks.jpg

They have fractured with the force of tightening the screws on
conductors.

The metal block used to be solid brass (or nickel alloy?) in a
rectangular section, now it's extruded in that keyhole shape to save
metal and machining - I imagine if the extrusion isn't done at the right
speed/temperature or there are inclusions then that's the place it's
going to fail. I wonder if the screws are brassed steel these days,
rather than proper brass.

Good call. Also some brasses can suffer from stress corrosion cracking.
This might be "out of spec" brass.

poor quality choc blocks sm_jamieson UK diy 9 February 10th 09 02:27 PM
vinylart.ca = worst service + poor quality + John Unhappy customer Home Repair 0 April 22nd 06 02:59 AM
Poor Kohler Quality Jim M Home Repair 4 September 12th 05 11:22 PM
Poor quality electricity supply, is it worth complaining to supplier? Jason Arthurs UK diy 41 May 31st 05 02:46 PM
Best path to refund on poor quality furniture? Stewart Apelzin Home Ownership 8 October 9th 04 08:51 PM