Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Family circle

I've just been invited by a younger family member to join their Life360
Circle. I have responded by declining citing security worries.

The concept seems to be that you can download their app and see where
all the family members are at any given time.

To save battery, it uses a mix of GPS and cell positioning, if I
understand correctly. 2 family members use non-smart phones, and not
sure it would work with them.

Reviews look fairly negative, but many seem to be from those accused of
cheating by spouses.

There seems little info on what data is collected and whether it is sold
on.

After my "No thanks", he has backed away from persuasion, but I wondered
whether anyone here has tried or uses this app.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Bill" wrote in message
I've just been invited by a younger family member to join their Life360
Circle. I have responded by declining citing security worries.

The concept seems to be that you can download their app and see where all
the family members are at any given time.

To save battery, it uses a mix of GPS and cell positioning, if I
understand correctly. 2 family members use non-smart phones, and not sure
it would work with them.

Reviews look fairly negative, but many seem to be from those accused of
cheating by spouses.

There seems little info on what data is collected and whether it is sold
on.

After my "No thanks", he has backed away from persuasion, but I wondered
whether anyone here has tried or uses this app.

is that not a biscuit ? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Bill wrote:
I've just been invited by a younger family member to join their Life360
Circle. I have responded by declining citing security worries.

The concept seems to be that you can download their app and see where
all the family members are at any given time.

To save battery, it uses a mix of GPS and cell positioning, if I
understand correctly. 2 family members use non-smart phones, and not
sure it would work with them.

Reviews look fairly negative, but many seem to be from those accused of
cheating by spouses.

There seems little info on what data is collected and whether it is sold
on.

After my "No thanks", he has backed away from persuasion, but I wondered
whether anyone here has tried or uses this app.

I use it. Does what it says on the tin without draining your battery too
much. Of course it means giving up your privacy but thats inevitable with
any location sharing up.

Handily (or not depending on your POV) mine seems to disable itself
regularly if my android phone battery gets low so its €śnormal€ť for me to
be untraceable at times. This doesnt seem to happen with my wifes iPhone
which always seems to relay her position.

As to selling on of data, who knows. The tin foil hat brigade will no doubt
say that they do.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

I don't think you need an app. My I phone has a find my friends item. It
only works if everyone else and yourself have locations features on.

I don't see the point unless you have a person prone to wander who always
has their phone with them.

Can be handy to check where they are when you want to go and visit.

"Bill" wrote in message
I've just been invited by a younger family member to join their Life360
Circle. I have responded by declining citing security worries.

The concept seems to be that you can download their app and see where all
the family members are at any given time.

To save battery, it uses a mix of GPS and cell positioning, if I
understand correctly. 2 family members use non-smart phones, and not sure
it would work with them.

Reviews look fairly negative, but many seem to be from those accused of
cheating by spouses.

There seems little info on what data is collected and whether it is sold
on.

After my "No thanks", he has backed away from persuasion, but I wondered
whether anyone here has tried or uses this app.
--
Bill

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I got accused of this simply because I put her details into a search engine
to see what she was doing now and wished her well at Christmas. People are
very touchy about this stuff. I think they have heard and seen to many
horror stories. If you want to use the facilities of the internet etc for
free you have to acknowledge that the system uses your data. Some of the
more subtle ones are the streaming services through the phone which if you
have the stamina to read through the legal stuff basically says we track you
we know your email address and know what you listen and watch and will pass
all of this on so you can use the free service. Sadly, even if yu pay you
seem to still be tracked and I think that is where this stuff is morally
wrong.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
On Sunday, 21 April 2019 17:28:14 UTC+1, Bill wrote:
I've just been invited by a younger family member to join their Life360
Circle. I have responded by declining citing security worries.

The concept seems to be that you can download their app and see where
all the family members are at any given time.

To save battery, it uses a mix of GPS and cell positioning, if I
understand correctly. 2 family members use non-smart phones, and not
sure it would work with them.

Reviews look fairly negative, but many seem to be from those accused of
cheating by spouses.

There seems little info on what data is collected and whether it is sold
on.

After my "No thanks", he has backed away from persuasion, but I wondered
whether anyone here has tried or uses this app.

A stalking app eh

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote:

My I phone has a find my friends item. It
only works if everyone else and yourself have locations features on.

I would hope it only works if the "allow my friends to find my location"
feature has been enabled.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andy Burns wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote:

My I phone has a find my friends item. It
only works if everyone else and yourself have locations features on.

I would hope it only works if the "allow my friends to find my location"
feature has been enabled.

Well yes, but why would you install a location sharing app unless you
intend to share your location?

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

My I phone has a find my friends item. It
only works if everyone else and yourself have locations features on.

I would hope it only works if the "allow my friends to find my location"
feature has been enabled.

Well yes, but why would you install a location sharing app unless you
intend to share your location?

Brian makes it sound like a standard feature ...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 22 Apr 2019 16:47:46 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rodent

I don't think you need an app. My I phone has a find my friends item. It
only works if everyone else and yourself have locations features on.

I don't see the point unless you have a person prone to wander who always
has their phone with them.

Can be handy to check where they are when you want to go and visit.

YOU have no friends to visit in the first place, you abnormal cantankerous
senile asshole! That's why you get out of bed every day between 1 and 4 am,
just to log in on Usenet and start pestering people there.

--
Bod addressing senile Rot:
"Rod, you have a sick twisted mind. I suggest you stop your mindless
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Andy Burns wrote:
Tim+ wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

Brian Gaff wrote:

My I phone has a find my friends item. It
only works if everyone else and yourself have locations features on.

I would hope it only works if the "allow my friends to find my location"
feature has been enabled.

Well yes, but why would you install a location sharing app unless you
intend to share your location?

Brian makes it sound like a standard feature ...

I suspect it is on Apple phones

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rod Speed wrote:
Brian Gaff wrote

I don't think you need an app. My I phone has a find my friends item. It
only works if everyone else and yourself have locations features on.

I don't see the point unless you have a person prone to wander who always
has their phone with them.

Or see if you are approaching and either **** off out or bolt the door.

Can any of these applications be set up with a proximity alarm?

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Tim+ Wrote in message:
Bill wrote:
[...]

What do you use it for exactly?

--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/04/2019 23:54, Pamela wrote:
On 17:28 21 Apr 2019, Bill wrote:

I've just been invited by a younger family member to join their Life360
Circle. I have responded by declining citing security worries.

The concept seems to be that you can download their app and see where
all the family members are at any given time.

To save battery, it uses a mix of GPS and cell positioning, if I
understand correctly. 2 family members use non-smart phones, and not
sure it would work with them.

Reviews look fairly negative, but many seem to be from those accused of
cheating by spouses.

There seems little info on what data is collected and whether it is sold
on.

After my "No thanks", he has backed away from persuasion, but I wondered
whether anyone here has tried or uses this app.

Google Maps on a smartphone already offers location sharing without needing
another app.

This. Even iPhone deviants can use Google Maps and shared locations. You
get regular reminders of who you're sharing with too.

--
Reentrant

How to remove a circle from a circle Metspitzer Home Repair 23 January 13th 13 06:29 PM
Main panel to main panel wiring in converting multi-family to single family dwelling [email protected] Home Repair 6 November 10th 06 02:18 AM
Jasper Circle Jigs... Bob UK diy 2 April 16th 04 12:23 PM
best hole circle method Brian Metalworking 5 February 13th 04 09:46 PM
FS: Roper Whitney Kick Punch, Circle Shear, Libert Shear Marty Escarcega Metalworking 0 August 17th 03 12:56 PM