Lobster

Default Powerdrivers - tips please!

I finally took the plunge and bought one of these things recently -
nothing very exciting, just B&Q's 14.4V PP at 30 quid. However, never
having used one of these things in anger before I'd appreciate some
tips!

I find it chews up cross-head bits at a rate of knots. Is it likely
that I'm using the wrong bit/screw combination (how do you identify
them?)? Related to this I'm also having difficulty setting the right
torque I think - is there anything more to it than just trial and
error?

Thanks
David
Grunff

Lobster wrote:
I finally took the plunge and bought one of these things recently -
nothing very exciting, just B&Q's 14.4V PP at 30 quid. However, never
having used one of these things in anger before I'd appreciate some
tips!

I find it chews up cross-head bits at a rate of knots. Is it likely
that I'm using the wrong bit/screw combination (how do you identify
them?)? Related to this I'm also having difficulty setting the right
torque I think - is there anything more to it than just trial and
error?

1. Make sure if it's a Pozi head you use a Pozi bit, and if it's a
Philips head you use a Philips bit. Pozi have 4 extra "mini" splines as
well as the 4 main ones.

2. Use the biggest bit that comfortably fits in the head. It should be a
nice snug fit.

3. Drive slowly to start with.

4. Keep the bit as perpendicular as possible to the screw head.

5. Apply a lot of downwards pressure as you drive the screw.

6. Once the bit starts getting chewed up, stop using it.

7. Buy good quality bits - the ones that come with most tools are awful.

You will eventually discover that while driving Pozi screws with power
drivers is perfectly possible, Pozi sucks. You will hopefully eventually
discover the joys of Spax Torx.

Have fun.

--
Grunff
Harry Bloomfield

On 22/02/2004 Lobster opined:-
I find it chews up cross-head bits at a rate of knots. Is it likely
that I'm using the wrong bit/screw combination (how do you identify
them?)? Related to this I'm also having difficulty setting the right
torque I think - is there anything more to it than just trial and
error?

Make sure you are using the right bit for the screw, the correct size
of bit will have no free play in a screw head. Make sure the bit is
properly located in the screw before squeezing the trigger and put
plenty of weight on it. Set the torque down to minimum, then gradually
increase it until it is just enough to turn the screw fully home.

--

Regards,
Harry (M1BYT) (L)

Jerry Built

Grunff wrote:
1. [ re. screws and screwdriving ] Pozi have 4 extra "mini" splines as

well as the 4 main ones.

Rubbish.

2. Use the biggest bit that comfortably fits in the head. It should be a
nice snug fit.

3. Drive slowly to start with.

If you're using the bit as a drill (i.e. letting it slip in the screw
head], it will get shagged out quickly. It will then slip in other screw
heads, too.

4. Keep the bit as perpendicular as possible to the screw head.

5. Apply a lot of downwards pressure as you drive the screw.

...but be careful not to tip the screw over else your workpiece will
sustain a jag from the bit hitting it!

6. Once the bit starts getting chewed up, stop using it.

Throw it away in case it gets mixed up with good bits!

7. Buy good quality bits - the ones that come with most tools are awful.

Consider buying a box of bits.

J.B.

chris French

In message , Jerry Built
] writes
Grunff wrote:
1. [ re. screws and screwdriving ] Pozi have 4 extra "mini" splines as

well as the 4 main ones.
Rubbish.

No it isn't.

A Phillips type crosshead is basically just that - a cross. As Grunff
said the Pozidrive typw has 4 small 'splines' between the main cross
head 'Splines' , if you look at a pozi screw you can see small extra
little 'slots' that these extra splines fit into.

Also the depth of the socket in the head of the screw is different. I
always for get which is which, but I think the socket depth of the
Pillips is a bit shallower, with a more rounded end to the bit.
--
Chris French, Leeds