Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flourescent unit starter-less?

The 6 foot tube in our 30+ year kitchen fluorescent light has started to
blink. The tube is about 10 years old, so due for replacement, although it
wasn't showing the tell-tale darkened ends.

I replaced it with a Crompton 70w tube but this started to blink. "In my
opinion it's the starter that needs replacement" said the salesman. Problem
is, this unit doesn't have one, is this possible?

I removed the tube and the 6' white concave reflector from above the tube
but no sign of a starter. Instead, there's a 9" x 1" x 1" (from memory)
white plastic box, which carries the mains wiring.

Any thoughts on where the starter can be located or are some fluorescent
units ...... starter-less? TIA