Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Bosch garden shredder

My Bosch garden shredder is 2.5 years old (6 months out of guarantee),very little use and it's packed in. It's one of the spinning, bladed wheel jobs.

The "on" switch is connected to a safety switch that allows the unit to operate only when the feed tray is fitted. The screw-in knob that holds the feed tray depresses the safety switch, but you can poke it and hold it in with a screwdriver, for testing purposes.

So, the machine starts and the cutting wheel spins when it's turned on, but only for about 2 seconds, then it shuts down. It does this with the feed tray fitted and also if I hold down the safety switch with a screwdriver. If the safety switch is not pressed (i.e. no feed tray or screwdriver), then it doesn't start at all.

Any ideas/previous encounters of the same problem, before I pull it all apart?

Thanks

Bill.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:48:57 -0700, bill.****ner wrote:

My Bosch garden shredder is 2.5 years old (6 months out of
guarantee),very little use and it's packed in. It's one of the spinning,
bladed wheel jobs.

The "on" switch is connected to a safety switch that allows the unit to
operate only when the feed tray is fitted. The screw-in knob that holds
the feed tray depresses the safety switch, but you can poke it and hold
it in with a screwdriver, for testing purposes.

So, the machine starts and the cutting wheel spins when it's turned on,
but only for about 2 seconds, then it shuts down. It does this with the
feed tray fitted and also if I hold down the safety switch with a
screwdriver. If the safety switch is not pressed (i.e. no feed tray or
screwdriver), then it doesn't start at all.

Any ideas/previous encounters of the same problem, before I pull it all
apart?

Go to the spare parts part of the Bosch garden tools site. Find your
shredder and you'll get an exploded diagram, which is usually quite
useful.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 20:14:07 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:
[...]

I always find that when I explode appliances the bits are never in the same places as the diagrams.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:25:02 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

You mean when you pull the things to bits all the components sink to
the bench or floor?

You really need to be in orbit to stand even the slightest chance of
matching up with the diagram :-)

AB

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/04/2019 20:52, Chris Hogg wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 09:48:57 -0700 (PDT),
wrote:

[...]

Can't help with the problem but if you get to the stage of pulling it
apart, be sure to take plenty of pictures as you go. When I took my
Bosch shredder apart several years ago now (helical cutting screw
type), the pictures were invaluable when it came to re-assembling.

Also Miles Tool & Machinery Centre are quite good for Bosch spares... I
managed to get a new helix for my AXT2000HP... (before it drove me to
distraction some years later and got lobbed in a skip!)

https://www.mtmc.co.uk/Spare-Parts/B...-12733138.aspx

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

From the sounds of it if its a brushed motor it sounds to me like they are
either knackered or there is some kind of short witch trips an internal
protection.

I think I'd try talking to the company first as clearly these things should
last significantly longer assuming no abuse in use of course. Mind you maybe
one of your neighbours has sabotaged it to try to get some peace on Sunday
afternoons !
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
wrote in message
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 22:09:44 UTC+1, Archibald Tarquin Blenkinsopp wrote:
On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 12:25:02 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
On Saturday, 13 April 2019 20:14:07 UTC+1, Bob Eager wrote:

Go to the spare parts part of the Bosch garden tools site. Find your
shredder and you'll get an exploded diagram, which is usually quite
useful.

I always find that when I explode appliances the bits are never in the same places as the diagrams.

You mean when you pull the things to bits all the components sink to
the bench or floor?

No, I tend to find them stuck in the walls.

You really need to be in orbit to stand even the slightest chance of
matching up with the diagram :-)

Ah. I know exactly who to give it to then.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 13 April 2019 17:48:59 UTC+1, wrote:
[...]

Loose electrical connection on the switch?
Or brushes (assuming its a brush type motor)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 14/04/2019 19:45, harry wrote:
[...]

I think all the Bosch "quiet" shredders have induction motors.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

By way of an update, the shredder is now operational again.

The model is an ATX 2200 rapid. I took off the back cover, for access to the switches and I also removed the motor, from the front. There was nothing obviously wrong on exam by eye. After a bit of poking around, including poking the motor brushes and spring mechanism, I tested the unit again and bingo- normal operation.

So, no satisfaction in terms of identifying and fixing a specific fault, but the end result is good. My best guess is that one or other of the motor brushes had become sticky and was making minimal contact. Next most probable cause is one of the switches that I removed and fiddled with for a while, before re-fitting.

Bill.