Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Windscreen and dashboard suckers

I have a Dashcam on the windscreen and a SatNav on a smooth
plastic plate on the dashboard.

Both are held in place by suckers, as is usual.

However, they both have a tendency, particularly in hot
weather, it seems to me, to lose their 'suck' and fall off at
inopertune moments.

I was wondering if some kind of grease or oil on the sucker,
instead of the usual saliva, would provide a permanent
(ideally) solution or, at least, a longer life than at
present.

Any ideas?

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 09 Apr 2019 13:57:47 +0100, Terry Casey wrote:

I have a Dashcam on the windscreen and a SatNav on a smooth plastic
plate on the dashboard.

Both are held in place by suckers, as is usual.

However, they both have a tendency, particularly in hot weather, it
seems to me, to lose their 'suck' and fall off at inopertune moments.

I was wondering if some kind of grease or oil on the sucker, instead of
the usual saliva, would provide a permanent (ideally) solution or, at
least, a longer life than at present.

I don't even use saliva. I do clean it all first with some IPA.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
says...

Get a vent clip for the phone. Added advantage is it won't sit in your
eyeline (unlike some of the morons I see who manage to put their device
directly in front of them on the windscreen). I found this one excellent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GUBPXGS

The phone isn't a problem, it just sits in my shirt pocket as
usual and connects to the car vialuetooth if I need to access
it for any reason (rare)

For the dashcam, investigate a mounting kit that can fix to the mirror. I
used this (not available, but you get the idea).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HPCOIH6

I abhor anything blocking my view through the windscreen and
the very idea of a 5" SatNav dangling from the mirror
horrifies me!

(The dashcam is right at the top of the screen to the left of
and mostly hidden by the mirror)

In any case, the DashCam would be in the distance section of
my varifocal glasses, so wouldn't be a lot of use, anyway!

It currently sits dead centre on top of the dash (Ford Focus),
is below my view through the windscreen and needs only the
briefest of glances if necessary.

Anything that requires glass suction is a non starter. It *will* fall off
when you least expect it which is also when it's most inconvenient.

As I know very well, which why I was asking for suggestions as
to how the seal might be improved to stop/slow the speed at
which the vacuum is lost.

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2019 14:45, Jethro_uk wrote:
BTDTGTTS

Get a vent clip for the phone. Added advantage is it won't sit in your
eyeline (unlike some of the morons I see who manage to put their device
directly in front of them on the windscreen). I found this one excellent

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01GUBPXGS

For the dashcam, investigate a mounting kit that can fix to the mirror. I
used this (not available, but you get the idea).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01HPCOIH6

Looking at my order dates, I've been problem free for two years now.

Anything that requires glass suction is a non starter. It *will* fall off
when you least expect it which is also when it's most inconvenient.

I had wondered about trying one of these

https://esfranki.co/products/univers...poxPmdtNJeZYks

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2019 16:40, Terry Casey wrote:
As I know very well, which why I was asking for suggestions as
to how the seal might be improved to stop/slow the speed at
which the vacuum is lost.

My lever action sucker satnav windscreen mount has been on over a year
no problems.
Use lens cleaner on the windscreen first.

--
In a Time of Universal Deceit, Telling the Truth Is a Revolutionary Act.

- George Orwell

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2019 13:57, Terry Casey wrote:

I have a Dashcam on the windscreen and a SatNav on a smooth
plastic plate on the dashboard.

Both are held in place by suckers, as is usual.

However, they both have a tendency, particularly in hot
weather, it seems to me, to lose their 'suck' and fall off at
inopertune moments.

I was wondering if some kind of grease or oil on the sucker,
instead of the usual saliva, would provide a permanent
(ideally) solution or, at least, a longer life than at
present.

Any ideas?

I know that back in the'70s, my dad used a Retrovisor (see
http://www.mycaravan.org.uk/Images/G...Retrovisor.jpg for an
example). It was held to the car by suckers (to the roof rather than the
glass) and ISTR was far firmer with a smear of gelatine on the suckers.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2019 17:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
Each to their own, but I don't like anything in the centre of the
windscreen at all.

Mine's in the centre of the windscreen, low down.

This means it obstructs my view of the kerb 3ft in front of the car,
which is not anywhere I normally look when driving. I lean around it
when parking.

Andy
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/19 21:08, Vir Campestris wrote:
On 09/04/2019 17:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
Each to their own, but I don't like anything in the centre of the
windscreen at all.

Mine's in the centre of the windscreen, low down.

This means it obstructs my view of the kerb 3ft in front of the car,
which is not anywhere I normally look when driving. I lean around it
when parking.

My dashcam is high up on the RHS of the windscreen, and is completely
hidden by the sun visor when that is down (which is all the time). When
the car went for its first MOT, I was phoned by the garage who told me
they would have to remove the dashcam as anything obstructing the line
of sight meant an instant MOT failure. So I told them to remove it for
the test. I replaced it when I got the car back after it passed the test.

It was only when I got the car back I wondered if leaving the sun visor
down would result in an instant failure, as that was "obstructing the
line of sight"!

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , steve@walker-
family.me.uk says...

I know that back in the'70s, my dad used a Retrovisor (see
http://www.mycaravan.org.uk/Images/G...Retrovisor.jpg for an
example). It was held to the car by suckers (to the roof rather than the
glass) and ISTR was far firmer with a smear of gelatine on the suckers.

Yes, I was wondering about a smear of oil or grease of some
sort but I don't have any gelatine.

Would a drop of light oil be suitable?

What about WD40? The white spirit content should be good for
cleaning both glass and sucker bit is there sufficient oil
residue to maintain the seal?

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/19 16:40, Terry Casey wrote:

As I know very well, which why I was asking for suggestions as
to how the seal might be improved to stop/slow the speed at
which the vacuum is lost.

Do you just place the sucker on the screen and move the lever? I found
my dashcam fell off after a few days if I did that. It lasted at least a
couple of months if I pushed the sucker onto the screen as hard as
possible, and /then/ moved the lever to lock it in position.

--

Jeff
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Vir Campestris wrote:

On 09/04/2019 17:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
Each to their own, but I don't like anything in the centre of the
windscreen at all.

Mine's in the centre of the windscreen, low down.

This means it obstructs my view of the kerb 3ft in front of the car,
which is not anywhere I normally look when driving. I lean around it
when parking.

Andy

Hanging up items such as furry dice and air fresheners sat navs could cost drivers £100 or even invalidate their insurance if they put them on the rear-view mirror.

The Highway Code and the Road Traffic Act warns that a driver is not allowed to use a car if their view of the road is obstructed in any way.

The rule has always been there, but authorities are now ensuring it is being enforced.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/revealed-d...104156659.html
https://www.providentinsurance.co.uk...otoring-myths/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/04/2019 21:35, Jeff Layman wrote:
Do you just place the sucker on the screen and move the lever? I found
my dashcam fell off after a few days if I did that. It lasted at least a
couple of months if I pushed the sucker onto the screen as hard as
possible, and /then/ moved the lever to lock it in position.

Absolutely the latter. Or the first hot day and goodnight Vienna so to
speak.

Glass/rubber will seal a vacuum for years - think kilner jars. Its a
matter of getting a good vacuum to start with which is cleaning and
degreasing the windscreen, pushing down hard and then moving the sucker
lever.

--
"Strange as it seems, no amount of learning can cure stupidity, and
higher education positively fortifies it."

- Stephen Vizinczey

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:

When our car had to go in for a repair [...] the management company made a point that any in-car
recording devices needed to be disabled or ideally removed "for security".

I posted about it on the legal newsgroup and it was suggested it was
either over zealous DP interpretations or a security feature preventing
the location and internal layout of the premises to be gathered for a
raid .....

So you can't get footage of the junior mechanics taking it out for a
joyride ...

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mechanic+joyride
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 13:57:47 +0100, Terry Casey wrote:

I have a Dashcam on the windscreen and a SatNav on a smooth
plastic plate on the dashboard.

Both are held in place by suckers, as is usual.

However, they both have a tendency, particularly in hot
weather, it seems to me, to lose their 'suck' and fall off at
inopertune moments.

I was wondering if some kind of grease or oil on the sucker,
instead of the usual saliva, would provide a permanent
(ideally) solution or, at least, a longer life than at
present.

Any ideas?

Double sided VHB tape from 3M. Similar to what some manufacturers use to attach
the rear view mirror to the screen.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 09:33:13 +0000, Jethro_uk wrote:

On Tue, 09 Apr 2019 21:31:36 +0100, Jeff Layman wrote:

My dashcam is high up on the RHS of the windscreen, and is completely
hidden by the sun visor when that is down (which is all the time). When
the car went for its first MOT,

When our car had to go in for a repair after being rear ended by a taxi
driver (at 5mph ...) the management company made a point that any in-car
recording devices needed to be disabled or ideally removed "for
security".

I posted about it on the legal newsgroup and it was suggested it was
either over zealous DP interpretations or a security feature preventing
the location and internal layout of the premises to be gathered for a
raid .....

It also means that their staff can't get caught joy riding in your car.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I've got a mobile phone holder from a brand called Osomount which uses a strange sticky material that will stick to almost anything but certainly a "grained" dashboard.

When it ceases to stick you wash it under plain water and it becomes sticky again - I'm very impressed with it. I've seen sheets of this sticky stuff on Ebay but goodness knows what they're called - I found this link though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...frcectupt=true

you could try a sheet of that between your sucker and the dashboard

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article 57367fb4-0ba0-43e3-a90b-
, says...

I've got a mobile phone holder from a brand called Osomount which uses a strange sticky material that will stick to almost anything but certainly a "grained" dashboard.

When it ceases to stick you wash it under plain water and it becomes sticky again - I'm very impressed with it. I've seen sheets of this sticky stuff on Ebay but goodness knows what they're called - I found this link though

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Universal...frcectupt=true

you could try a sheet of that between your sucker and the dashboard

It obviously works for the phone by providing a dimpled grippy
surface for the phone to l;ay on but it wouldn't work with a
suction clamp because of the dimples and the SatNav on its own
would be pointing at the roof!

No good for the dashcam, either, because the windscreen slopes
the wrong way - that's not an anti-gravity device!

--

Terry

---
https://www.avg.com

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 9 Apr 2019 16:01:55 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk wrote:

The dashcam is mounted slightly behind the RV mirror and doesn't eat
into the visible windscreen too much.

Same here, tucked up behind the lefthand end of the interior mirror.
On a lever action sucker mount that hasn't fallen off that I can
remember. Clean the screen, clean the sucker, bit of spit, position,
press hard, operate lever.

I also set my phone to divert all calls and autorespond with a text when
I am driving.

A casual glance on roads and forums suggests I'm in a minority of a
minority. I guess safe driving is overrated these days ....

Phone connects to the cars Bluetooth, if a call comes in I ignore it
if it's a number/call I'm not expecting so ends up in voice mail.
Texts are read out to me and I can voice reply to them if required
(provided mobile data is good enough, needs 4G really).

Driving is slowly being "de-skilled". In a modern automatic all you
*need* to be able to do is select D, press the go and stop pedals as
required and steer, indicators are useful for other road users but
even the use of those is gaining some magical property that enables
the driver of a car using indicators to blindly go where they want
regardless of any other road users. The only addition in a manual is
changing gear. Hill starts - automatic, lights - automatic (though
they get foggy but bright conditions wrong and "helpfully" turn your
lights off, or at least mine do).

I notice that the term "autonomous" has also been quietly dropped in
favour of "driverless". Have they decided that a truely autonomous
car is actually too difficult and they'll fudge it by allowing
vehicles to "talk" to each other? Still doesn't help with the tricky
problem of a ball bouncing out from a gate, will it be followed by
small child hidden by the hedge/fence either side of the gate. Or
even is it a ball in the first place...

--
Cheers
Dave.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
Hopefully newer cars will be prefitted with dashcams anywa - it's hardly
a huge extra when you have all the gubbins anyway ...

Most of these things start as a gadget that is nice to have then progress
through to becoming standard equipment,the next stage is they become
mandatory . With dash cams how long before the recordings are required to
be retained for a period by law with the Police or other government bodies
having the powers to acquire any of them as evidence even if that is
against the wishes of the vehicle owner.
On the face of it such things are seen by some as nothing to worry about if
you are an honest citizen,
you may be but it wont stop your car getting torched if a local scroat
thinks your parked car contains a record of him doing a drug deal.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jethro_uk wrote:
On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 11:44:30 +0000, Marland wrote:

you may be but it wont stop your car getting torched if a local scroat
thinks your parked car contains a record of him doing a drug deal.

Which was uploaded as soon as a 4G connection was available ... along
with the footage of the scotes approaching the car before torching.

Youve still lost your vehicle and the scroat is wearing a balaclava or
clown mask etc, destroying your car was just belt and braces.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, April 9, 2019 at 4:40:45 PM UTC+1, Terry Casey wrote:

I abhor anything blocking my view through the windscreen and
the very idea of a 5" SatNav dangling from the mirror
horrifies me!

My car would have failed its MOT if they hadn't have removed my 6'' Garmin Nuvicam from the windscreen first.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Marland" wrote in message
Jethro_uk wrote:
Hopefully newer cars will be prefitted with dashcams anywa - it's hardly
a huge extra when you have all the gubbins anyway ...

Most of these things start as a gadget that is nice to have then progress
through to becoming standard equipment,the next stage is they become
mandatory . With dash cams how long before the recordings are required
to be retained for a period by law with the Police or other government
bodies having the powers to acquire any of them as evidence even if
that is against the wishes of the vehicle owner.

Mindless paranoia. Hasnt happened with fixed
surveillance cameras you have around your house.

On the face of it such things are seen by some as
nothing to worry about if you are an honest citizen,

you may be but it wont stop your car getting torched if a local scroat
thinks your parked car contains a record of him doing a drug deal.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 05:16:59 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Mindless

Now THAT would be the perfect nym for you, senile idiot!

--
dennis@home to retarded senile Rot:
"sod off rod you don't have a clue about anything."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 10 Apr 2019 09:33:32 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Apr 2019 23:11:42 +0000, Mark wrote:

Vir Campestris wrote:

On 09/04/2019 17:01, Jethro_uk wrote:
Each to their own, but I don't like anything in the centre of the
windscreen at all.

Mine's in the centre of the windscreen, low down.

This means it obstructs my view of the kerb 3ft in front of the car,
which is not anywhere I normally look when driving. I lean around it
when parking.

Andy

Hanging up items such as furry dice and air fresheners sat navs could
cost drivers £100 or even invalidate their insurance if they put them on
the rear-view mirror.

The Highway Code and the Road Traffic Act warns that a driver is not
allowed to use a car if their view of the road is obstructed in any way.

The rule has always been there, but authorities are now ensuring it is
being enforced.

https://uk.news.yahoo.com/revealed-d...-100-fine-air-

fresheners-hanging-car-104156659.html

https://www.providentinsurance.co.uk...tips/motoring-

myths/

Good !

Quite.

I *hate* seeing all that junk hanging from the interior mirror and
have never ever done so.

If I drive someone else's (or a hire) car I take them down from them
to.

My GPS is stuck using the std vacuum cup to a plastic disk stuck to
the dash. The top of it is just about level with the bottom of the
windscreen (and on the Meriva and even at 6'2" I cant see the bonnet).

Cheers, T i m
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 12 Apr 2019 08:37:45 -0000 (UTC), Jethro_uk
wrote:

On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 21:36:58 +0100, T i m wrote:

My GPS is stuck using the std vacuum cup to a plastic disk stuck to the
dash. The top of it is just about level with the bottom of the
windscreen (and on the Meriva and even at 6'2" I cant see the bonnet).

My ideal GPS (and these days phone) placement is in line with the dash,
or maybe slightly higher, but on the quarterlite side - to the right. So
a quick flick of the eyes picks up the key detail keeping peripheral
vision on the road.

When I've put mine there it feels 'wrong', possibly because I am so
used to having pretty well *all* my stuff in the middle (interior
mirror, radio, gear stick, clock / temp etc). So my GPS sits between
the binnacle and the info hump in the middle of that dash and so in
the same line as them and I'm still looking roughly ahead when using
them.

On the Meriva (A) it has a nasty post at the front and you often have
to look though the quaterlight to see if stuff is coming around mini
roundabouts etc. ;-(

I suspect my - and maybe older drivers in general (?) use of sat navs
differs slightly from people who have grown up with them ... I try to
have a broad idea of where it might take me before I set off, so it's
just the last few turns that are really needed.

Same here, although I often put it on if going on more than a local
journey in case of any holdups or calls to go elsewhere when on route.

But it seems from driving
with younger colleagues they rely on it from the off.

;-)

Meaning they can
quite happily arrive at the wrong destination if they make a fist of the
original address

Quite. I've done that but worked out that the ETA was way out before
going very far (luckily in the right direction and why I didn't
question it instantly).

Apart from navigation, having the ETA instantly to hand (after heavy
traffic etc) is really good, along with speed limit reminders and the
actual speed. The Meriva speedo is pretty well spot on but daughters
Transit Connect is out (over reading) by quite a bit. So, I have to do
an indicated 33 mph to be actually doing 30 (something that annoys me
when following others doing a constant 27mph in a 30).

It also gives me a log of my course and speed, should I get accused of
doing some very high speed when I know I wasn't (FWIW etc).

Again, maybe Garmin sucker mounts are better than others but I can't
remember it ever falling off on a journey, other than when I've put it
on one handed when leaving a car park or campsite against the clock
etc. After a proper two handed push and lever, releasing the lever
alone isn't enough to get it off again, you also have to pull the tab
on the sucker itself.

I love stuff that 'just works' and my Garmin GPS's have always ticked
that box (inc suckers, mounts [1] plugs, leads and updates etc) since
the GPS II+ ;-)

Cheers, T i m

[1] I used RAM mounts on the motorcycles and have done thousands of
miles without a mount even coming lose ... yet I could remove the GPS
or the complete mount quickly and easily if required.

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/
https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/mount-so...c-450_368.html
(sorta thing)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Bottom right corner for me. I've always found it easy to glance at,
while not distracting me the rest of the time and the only view it
blocks is downwards over the wing there, so not really needed.

I suspect my - and maybe older drivers in general (?) use of sat navs
differs slightly from people who have grown up with them ... I try to
have a broad idea of where it might take me before I set off, so it's
just the last few turns that are really needed.

Same here, although I often put it on if going on more than a local
journey in case of any holdups or calls to go elsewhere when on route.

I usually have a good idea, except the detailed location in town at the
end of the journey and I often deviate from where it wants me to go -
sometimes even at the end if I can see another way onscreen.

On the other hand I sometimes have it on for journeys that I know well,
because it can warn me of traffic hold-ups and it acts as the hands-free
set for my phone.

[...]

My Garmin does fall off from time to time, but with the deep dash of a
Zafira and the suckers holding the microphone wire still attached, it
only drops an inch and just sits there. However, I really need to clean
the corner of the screen better and the sucker is getting rather old (it
is a 10 year old Nuvi 610).

I'm actually going to have to change it soon, last year the map updates
became too large for even just the UK and Ireland to fit - although it
may be possible to use the SD card to expand the memory.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 10:31:37 AM UTC+1, T i m wrote:

Again, maybe Garmin sucker mounts are better than others but I can't
remember it ever falling off on a journey, other than when I've put it
on one handed when leaving a car park or campsite against the clock
etc.

The only time my Garmin Nuvicam has fallen off was when it has been left in the Sun, the rubber sucker dries out and it falls down. I can tell when it does this as the car alarm goes off!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, April 12, 2019 at 10:58:16 AM UTC+1, Steve Walker wrote:

I'm actually going to have to change it soon, last year the map updates
became too large for even just the UK and Ireland to fit - although it
may be possible to use the SD card to expand the memory.

My Nuvicam has 2x64GB (it has a camera as well) cards in it and updates OK, but my Garmin Edge 1000 needed an upgrade from a 4GB to a 8GB card for the new Europe map to fit on it.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jethro_uk" wrote in message
On Thu, 11 Apr 2019 21:36:58 +0100, T i m wrote:

My GPS is stuck using the std vacuum cup to a plastic disk stuck to the
dash. The top of it is just about level with the bottom of the
windscreen (and on the Meriva and even at 6'2" I cant see the bonnet).

My ideal GPS (and these days phone) placement is in line with the dash,
or maybe slightly higher, but on the quarterlite side - to the right. So
a quick flick of the eyes picks up the key detail keeping peripheral
vision on the road.

I never look at mine while driving and keep it in the bin in
the dash so its easy to pick it up to use it when stopped etc.

I suspect my - and maybe older drivers in general (?) use of sat navs
differs slightly from people who have grown up with them ... I try to
have a broad idea of where it might take me before I set off, so it's
just the last few turns that are really needed.

I find that the other reason I use it in that situation is when
the main highway takes a rather indirect route thru some
of the larger towns along the way. Handy to have the
satnav tell you where to go when the signage isnt ideal.

But it seems from driving with younger colleagues they rely on it
from the off. Meaning they can quite happily arrive at the wrong
destination if they make a fist of the original address

Never seen anyone do that.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 13 Apr 2019 05:28:08 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Never seen anyone do that.

I doubt anyone has ever seen an 85-year-old obnoxious senile pest like you,
senile Rot!

--
Bill Wright addressing senile Ozzie cretin Rot Speed:
"Well you make up a lot of stuff and it's total ******** most of it."

OT driving and watching a video on dashboard alo UK diy 46 October 16th 13 09:22 AM
suckers Gary[_11_] UK diy 3 May 5th 12 02:01 PM
Help please: acacia tree root suckers Zz Yzx Home Repair 6 August 3rd 11 01:32 AM
suckers Jenny UK diy 3 April 18th 08 10:42 AM