Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Monitor fecking two computers?...is it possible?...

Is it possible for a defective monitor to feck up a computer?........sister
in law bought a medion monitor second hand and when using it one computer
died then a second computer died........I brought her down another and
after
a while the screen started going wonky....I immediately changed the
monitor for
another and things are now OK ....... is it possible for a monitor to do
that?....
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 7 April 2019 13:53:37 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it possible for a defective monitor to feck up a computer?

Probably, nowadays.

VGA especially, older implementations (and so older monitors) may send back incorrect or incomplete information back to the graphics card. Usually I'd expect that to be the graphics card fecking the monitor with a resolution it can't handle, but I don't see why the monitor requesting a resolution the graphics card can't handle might not have a similar effect.

Or a faulty monitor (or cable?) might draw too much current on one or more signal lines for the graphics card to handle nicely.

I've seen USB-powered speakers disable a computer, presumably something about drawing too much power on the USB port drops the voltage on a supply rail internally.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

but I don't see why the monitor requesting a resolution the graphics
card can't handle might not have a similar effect.

Or a faulty monitor (or cable?) might draw too much current on one or more signal lines for the graphics card to handle nicely.

I've seen USB-powered speakers disable a computer, presumably something about drawing too much power on the USB port drops the voltage on a supply rail internally.

Owain

Thanks ...so it could happen then.....she got a message "Frequency out
of range"...funny I couldn't find the right resolution for the monitor
in the win 10 settings on the third computer just befor it threw a
wobbly....thanks again I will trash the monitor and cable then .....

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Is it possible for a defective monitor to feck up a computer?........sister
in law bought a medion monitor second hand and when using it one computer
died then a second computer died........I brought her down another and
after
a while the screen started going wonky....I immediately changed the
monitor for
another and things are now OK ....... is it possible for a monitor to do
that?....

Yes; empirically.

--

Roger Hayter
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 16:37, Roger Hayter wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

Is it possible for a defective monitor to feck up a computer?........sister
in law bought a medion monitor second hand and when using it one computer
died then a second computer died........I brought her down another and
after
a while the screen started going wonky....I immediately changed the
monitor for
another and things are now OK ....... is it possible for a monitor to do
that?....

Yes; empirically.

thanks it is in the trash .....

--
Report a bad lying Freemason to Mr Baker of UGLE Audi Vide Tace

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 13:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it possible for a defective monitor to feck up a computer?........sister
in law bought a medion monitor second hand and when using it one computer
died then a second computer died........I brought her down another and
after
a while the screen started going wonky....I immediately changed the
monitor for
another and things are now OK ....... is it possible for a monitor to do
that?....

I suppose if it fed mains back down the vga lead or something equally
extreme then it could damage a computers output. Not something I have
ever seen though.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 16:14, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Â*but I don't see why the monitor requesting a resolution the graphics
card can't handle might not have a similar effect.

Or a faulty monitor (or cable?) might draw too much current on one or
more signal lines for the graphics card to handle nicely.

I've seen USB-powered speakers disable a computer, presumably
something about drawing too much power on the USB port drops the
voltage on a supply rail internally.

Owain

Thanks ...so it could happen then.....she got a message "Frequency out
of range"...funny I couldn't find the right resolution for the monitor
in the win 10 settings on the third computer just befor it threw a
wobbly....thanks again I will trash the monitor and cable then .....

Run a program like:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/dump_edid.html

and check the resolutions / frequencies the monitor works with. In
Windows safe mode it should revert to VGA 640x480x60Hz and all monitors
should cope with this.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 19:19, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/04/2019 13:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it possible for a defective monitor to feck up a
computer?........sister
in law bought a medion monitor second hand and when using it one computer
died then a second computer died........I brought her down another and
after
a while the screen started going wonky....I immediately changed the
monitor for
another and things are now OK ....... is it possible for a monitor to
do that?....

I suppose if it fed mains back down the vga lead or something equally
extreme then it could damage a computers output. Not something I have
ever seen though.

One thinmg I DID see was a laptop that was two wire mains..many many
moons ago that had 0V/chassis connected via two caps to the mains for
RF filtering purposes so the earth of the lappie was a weak high
impedance 110V

Enough though to blow the serial port of a computer being plugged into it...

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
Is it possible for a defective monitor to feck up a
computer?........sister
in law bought a medion monitor second hand and when using it one computer
died then a second computer died........I brought her down another and
after
a while the screen started going wonky....I immediately changed the
monitor for
another and things are now OK ....... is it possible for a monitor to do
that?....

You dont really say enough about how the computers died.

Its certainly theoretically possible for a fault in the monitor
to put a lot more voltage on some of the lines between the
monitor and the computer to kill the computer but very unlikely.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote in message
On Sunday, 7 April 2019 13:53:37 UTC+1, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it possible for a defective monitor to feck up a computer?

Probably, nowadays.

VGA especially, older implementations (and so older monitors) may send
back incorrect or incomplete information back to the graphics card.
Usually I'd expect that to be the graphics card fecking the monitor with a
resolution it can't handle, but I don't see why the monitor requesting a
resolution the graphics card can't handle might not have a similar effect.

Cant see the video card mindlessly trying
to doing what will kill it resolution wise.

Or a faulty monitor (or cable?) might draw too much current on
one or more signal lines for the graphics card to handle nicely.

Yes, putting a voltage on some that kills the video card.

I've seen USB-powered speakers disable a computer,
presumably something about drawing too much power
on the USB port drops the voltage on a supply rail internally.

Yeah, not hard to do what with a poorly designed computer.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 05:45:22 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Yeah, not hard to do what with a poorly designed computer.

Good Lord! Is there NOTHING you will NOT pontificate about, you abnormal
85-year-old senile pest?

--
pamela about Rot Speed:
"His off the cuff expertise demonstrates how little he knows..."
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Mon, 8 Apr 2019 05:32:58 +1000, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

You don¢t really say enough about how the computers died.

Its certainly theoretically possible for a fault in the monitor
to put a lot more voltage on some of the lines between the
monitor and the computer to kill the computer but very unlikely.

IOW, you repeat what others said already, you clinically insane obnoxious
senile pest! tsk

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 19:19, John Rumm wrote:
On 07/04/2019 13:53, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Is it possible for a defective monitor to feck up a
computer?........sister
in law bought a medion monitor second hand and when using it one
computer
died then a second computer died........I brought her down another
and after
a while the screen started going wonky....I immediately changed the
monitor for
another and things are now OK ....... is it possible for a monitor to
do that?....

I suppose if it fed mains back down the vga lead or something equally
extreme then it could damage a computers output. Not something I have
ever seen though.

One thinmg I DID see was a laptop that was two wire mains..many many
moons ago that had 0V/chassisÂ* connected via two caps to the mains for
RF filtering purposes so the earth of the lappie was a weak high
impedance 110V

Enough though to blow the serial port of a computer being plugged into
it...

Yup I have had serial ports killed by that kind of thing...

ISTR one failing like that in the Marconi building in Chelmsford, where
two PCs appeared to be at different earth potentials. Turns out after a
bit of investigation that the sockets were wired in MICC, and the gland
was loose/corroded where it fixed to the metalclad backbox of the
socket, so it had a floating earth.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I have seen computers crash when a monitor is plugged in. It
turned out that the computer and monitor were connected to
sockets with different earth potentials and a lot of current
flowed through the motherboard. This was a large open plan office
with lines of sockets in the floor with no cross linking of earths
between each (very long) linear distribution circuit.

I once worked in a lab in the USA where the earth potentials on
opposite sides of the room differed by tens of volts. This caused
some "interesting" problems.

John