Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default mesh grade / sizing

I need to buy a small piece of mesh but cant understand how they measure it.
In the attached image there is apprx 18 `squares` to a 5mm length, does
anyone know how this is sized so that I can order the approx mesh hole size.

https://imgur.com/vAw7qbj
Posted to uk.d-i-y

I may be wrong but I think the mesh is defined by the size of the holes not by the number of holes in a given area.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 10:18, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I may be wrong but I think the mesh is defined by the size of the holes not by the number of holes in a given area.

Richard

I think you're right, based on the size of particles that pass through
-or don't.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/04/2019 10:48, Richard wrote:
On 07/04/2019 10:18, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I may be wrong but I think the mesh is defined by the size of the
holes not by the number of holes in a given area.

Richard

I think you're right, based on the size of particles that pass through
-or don't.

OK so on that basis if I assume the material used is approx the same
thickness as the holes created then that would be:
18 holes + 18 thicknesses of the material = 36
So for a 5mm length that would be 5mm/36 = .13mm hole size.

P.S. The mesh is used to create a foam as a water/detergent mix passes
through.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 11:04, ss wrote:
On 07/04/2019 10:48, Richard wrote:
On 07/04/2019 10:18, Tricky Dicky wrote:
I may be wrong but I think the mesh is defined by the size of the
holes not by the number of holes in a given area.

Richard

I think you're right, based on the size of particles that pass through
-or don't.

OK so on that basis if I assume the material used is approx the same
thickness as the holes created then that would be:
18 holes + 18 thicknesses of the material = 36
So for a 5mm length that would be 5mm/36 = .13mm hole size.

P.S. The mesh is used to create a foam as a water/detergent mix passes
through.

A couple of sources which may help:
http://www.plastok.co.uk/mesh-roll.php
http://espimetals.com/index.php/onli...ing-mesh-sizes

Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 07/04/2019 11:56, Chris Hogg wrote:
Do you know that it will work? I ask because normally you need a lot
of aeration to get a decent foam, which in turn requires energy. Think
of whisking egg white to make meringue; it's quite hard work.
Industrial froth flotation units for separating minerals usually have
pretty hefty motors driving aerating impellers to create the foam.
Simply passing soapy water through a screen won't necessarily do the
job.

It should work as I am taking the dimensions from an existing item, it
is actually a carpet cleaning system, that produses foam to surface
clean the carpet and the `mesh module` is broken. I cant find spares
for it so attempting to make something.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 10:07, ss wrote:
I need to buy a small piece of mesh but cant understand how they measure
it.
In the attached image there is apprx 18 `squares` to a 5mm length, does
anyone know how this is sized so that I can order the approx mesh hole
size.

https://imgur.com/vAw7qbj

You need to specify two things. The first is the aperture size, which is
likely to be in microns for the mesh in the picture. For woven mesh, the
second thing you need to specify is the diameter of the material it is
woven from. For perforated mesh the second thing is the pitch of the holes.

Colin Bignell
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/04/2019 12:20, Nightjar wrote:
On 07/04/2019 10:07, ss wrote:
I need to buy a small piece of mesh but cant understand how they
measure it.
In the attached image there is apprx 18 `squares` to a 5mm length,
does anyone know how this is sized so that I can order the approx mesh
hole size.

https://imgur.com/vAw7qbj

You need to specify two things. The first is the aperture size, which is
likely to be in microns for the mesh in the picture. For woven mesh, the
second thing you need to specify is the diameter of the material it is
woven from. For perforated mesh the second thing is the pitch of the holes.

Actually, thinking about it, for perforated mesh, you also need to
specify hole shape and material thickness.

Colin Bignell