Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default O(n)T - stopping edge of carpet from fraying

On 01/04/2019 17:07, PeterC wrote:

Bloody good workmanship but a bit fancy for me. This has felt backing, so
it'd be rather thick if double.

You can get gripper strips for felt backed carpets. It has microplast
tape rather than nails to hold the carpet. You will need an underlay if
used with gripper strips.

https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/floorw...t_gripper.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 21:15:47 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 01/04/2019 17:07, PeterC wrote:

Bloody good workmanship but a bit fancy for me. This has felt backing, so
it'd be rather thick if double.

You can get gripper strips for felt backed carpets. It has microplast
tape rather than nails to hold the carpet. You will need an underlay if
used with gripper strips.

https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/floorw...t_gripper.html

I didn't know about that sort of strip. Still not keen on trying to nail
down into quarry tiles! Also, there'd still be the overhung edge to the
skirting, although I suppose that there's no need to space it from the
skirting if the carpet won't go under there. Could work well like that.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2019 08:04, PeterC wrote:

https://www.tradepriced.co.uk/floorw...t_gripper.html

I didn't know about that sort of strip. Still not keen on trying to nail
down into quarry tiles! Also, there'd still be the overhung edge to the
skirting, although I suppose that there's no need to space it from the
skirting if the carpet won't go under there. Could work well like that.

I wouldn't want to nail into quarry tiles but the fixing nails are
fairly easily removed and you could stick the down the strip. You just
have to find a glue as in my experience most double sided tape is not
suitable[1].

The idea is to space the strips away from the room edge by 3 to 5 mm and
to push the cut edge down into the gap with a carpet fitters bolster.
That's why these strips have undercut bevel edge.

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/imag...00/11437-5.jpg

https://www.toolstation.com/carpet-laying-tool/p11437

[1]
OT 1. I recently replaced a roller blind (approx £12) and after fitting
1 fully extended it. A day later it was on the floor. The fabric had
been attached to the roller with double sided tape and the day had been
hot, especially with the sun shining directly through the window. The
glue on the tape had just given way. The tape was still extremely sticky
and could support the fabric in cooler conditions, but not when warm/hot.

OT 2. A few months back I took up a foam backed carpet to find the foam
had started to disintegrate into dust. The carpet had been stuck down at
the edges with double sided tape where the glue on both sides had dried
out and gone brittle. The tape was no longer sticking anything to anything.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 April 2019 09:03:28 UTC+1, alan_m wrote:
[...]

Need to use a gapfilling glue or it won't stick. DAMHIKT. Eg PU, but not PVA.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 09:03:27 +0100, alan_m wrote:

[...]

Yes - shows it going under the skirting - mine is on the floor so no gap.
That's why I reckon that glueing the strip up agains the sirting, putting in
underlay of the correct thickness then laying the carpet might well work.
All of this discussion is giving me some ideas.

OT 2. A few months back I took up a foam backed carpet to find the foam
had started to disintegrate into dust. The carpet had been stuck down at
the edges with double sided tape where the glue on both sides had dried
out and gone brittle. The tape was no longer sticking anything to anything.

I've had that - decided to use a commercial vac. to get up a lot of the
underlay.
There is some DS tape under a couple of carpets that has lasted so long that
I can't remember anything about it!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 02:23:39 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

Need to use a gapfilling glue or it won't stick. DAMHIKT. Eg PU, but not PVA.

I've som Stixall spare...
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 04/04/2019 15:35, PeterC wrote:

Yes - shows it going under the skirting - mine is on the floor so no gap.

https://youtu.be/QJqI88F0wAM?t=212

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 April 2019 15:35:06 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 09:03:27 +0100, alan_m wrote:

The idea is to space the strips away from the room edge by 3 to 5 mm and
to push the cut edge down into the gap with a carpet fitters bolster.
That's why these strips have undercut bevel edge.

https://cdn.aws.toolstation.com/imag...00/11437-5.jpg

https://www.toolstation.com/carpet-laying-tool/p11437

Yes - shows it going under the skirting - mine is on the floor so no gap.
That's why I reckon that glueing the strip up agains the sirting, putting in
underlay of the correct thickness then laying the carpet might well work.
All of this discussion is giving me some ideas.

I can't help thinking that will cause you problems. The gap from the skirting is there to bury the carpet edge in, giving a smooth flush finish, preventing fraying & adding more grip to the fixing.

OT 2. A few months back I took up a foam backed carpet to find the foam
had started to disintegrate into dust. The carpet had been stuck down at
the edges with double sided tape where the glue on both sides had dried
out and gone brittle. The tape was no longer sticking anything to anything.

I've had that - decided to use a commercial vac. to get up a lot of the
underlay.
There is some DS tape under a couple of carpets that has lasted so long that
I can't remember anything about it!

A scraper should do fine. You only need it approximately level, residues don't matter.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 12:12:05 -0700 (PDT), wrote:

[...]

That's why I'm sealing the edges. I'd do so even if I do use strip.
Strip is certainly neater and is the way to go.
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 18:34:18 +0100, alan_m wrote:

On 04/04/2019 15:35, PeterC wrote:

Yes - shows it going under the skirting - mine is on the floor so no gap.

https://youtu.be/QJqI88F0wAM?t=212

Thanks - I see it all now!
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 4 April 2019 20:59:13 UTC+1, PeterC wrote:
On Thu, 4 Apr 2019 12:12:05 -0700 (PDT), tabbypurr wrote:
[...]

Sealing the edges stops fraying but doesn't get you a neat flush finish & doesn't add grip. If you do it both ways you'll find out why it's done the way it is.

NT