Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default New 'Workmate' recomendations please

On 02/04/2019 09:47, Mark Allread wrote:
My old B&D Workmate had a terminal experience with a Deere by the name of
John and needs replacing.

The modern replacement appears to be a WM536 but I wondered if anyone had
any recommendations for any other type or has experienced and would not
recommend a 536. My price cap is £75 as it does not get a lot of use.

I quite like the "dual height" workmates. Strong, light, nicely finished
(no sharp edges).

But depending on what sort of stuff you do, another option might be to
get a pair of the cheaper single height ones (all much the same imho).

With a pair, it's easy to support a whole 8x4 sheet if you need to cut
it up. Also, a pair can be used with a scaffold plank to make a working
platform for limited height work outdoors, or for indoors if you have a
Victorian house with ten or 12 foot ceilings.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 03 Apr 2019 11:05:30 +0100, newshound wrote:

On 02/04/2019 09:47, Mark Allread wrote:

The modern replacement appears to be a WM536

I quite like the "dual height" workmates. Strong, light, nicely finished
(no sharp edges).

Yes, that's what I had and what the 536 is.

But depending on what sort of stuff you do, another option might be to
get a pair of the cheaper single height ones (all much the same imho).

Agreed on 'much the same' but I've already got something for the purpose
they would serve....

With a pair, it's easy to support a whole 8x4 sheet if you need to cut
it up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:05:30 +0100
newshound wrote:

With a pair, it's easy to support a whole 8x4 sheet if you need to
cut it up

I usually just chuck a few bits of 2x2 or similar on the floor to
support 8x4 sheets when I chop them up.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Rob Morley Wrote in message:
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:05:30 +0100
newshound wrote:

With a pair, it's easy to support a whole 8x4 sheet if you need to
cut it up

I usually just chuck a few bits of 2x2 or similar on the floor to
support 8x4 sheets when I chop them up.

Yup. Not as far to fall :-)
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2019 19:18, Jim K.. wrote:
Rob Morley Wrote in message:
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:05:30 +0100
newshound wrote:

With a pair, it's easy to support a whole 8x4 sheet if you need to
cut it up

I usually just chuck a few bits of 2x2 or similar on the floor to
support 8x4 sheets when I chop them up.

Yup. Not as far to fall :-)

Too much bending for me!

:-)

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 20:57:47 +0100
newshound wrote:

On 03/04/2019 19:18, Jim K.. wrote:
Rob Morley Wrote in message:

[...]
[...]
[...]

Yup. Not as far to fall :-)

Too much bending for me!

:-)

I get a bad back just doing the washing up so slinging a big board and
a circular saw around is going to be painful and difficult no matter
how I approach it. It takes me sooo much longer to do stuff than it did
when I was young and fit and not so damaged.

Posted to uk.d-i-y
TMH TMH is offline

On 03/04/2019 19:07, Rob Morley wrote:
On Wed, 3 Apr 2019 11:05:30 +0100
newshound wrote:

With a pair, it's easy to support a whole 8x4 sheet if you need to
cut it up

I usually just chuck a few bits of 2x2 or similar on the floor to
support 8x4 sheets when I chop them up.

Me too.

--
Dave
The Medway Handyman
Posted to uk.d-i-y

newshound wrote:

With a pair, it's easy to support a whole 8x4 sheet if you need to
cut it up

I usually just chuck a few bits of 2x2 or similar on the floor to
support 8x4 sheets when I chop them up.

You probably want to pop into lidl and pick up one or two of their
straight edge clamps to use as saw guides then.

Mind you I think the handle was a bit long for 2x2.