Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default OT Cameron on Brexit

On Sunday, 31 March 2019 16:02:50 UTC+1, harry wrote:
On the 10th November 2015, the then Prime Minister, David Cameron made his Chatham House speech on Europe. Memorably, and notably, he said, and I quote verbatim:

And ultimately it will be the judgment of the British people in the referendum that I promised and that I will deliver. You will have to judge what is best for you and your family, for your children and grandchildren, for our country, for our future. It will be your decision whether to remain in the EU on the basis of the reforms we secure, or whether we leave. Your decision. Nobody elses. Not politicians. Not Parliaments. Not lobby groups. Not mine. Just you. You, the British people, will decide. At that moment, you will hold this countrys destiny in your hands. This is a huge decision for our country, perhaps the biggest we will make in our lifetimes. And it will be the final decision.

He went on to say:

When the British people speak, their voice will be respected €“ not ignored.

If we vote to leave, then we will leave. There will not be another renegotiation and another referendum.

Irrespective of the end result.

What I still don't understand is how he had the right to do what he said and change what a referendum is (advisory) or how the result is arrived at.

I would have thought some sort or law would need to be passed, in the same way as if Trump says that if you vote for him then that means he;s president for life or 10 years or whatever.

So what I'm saying is I don't understand how any prime minister of any party can say what he said and that be acted on.

His successor, Prime Minister Theresa May, doubled down on that pledge with her €˜Brexit Means Brexit,

I don't know how she could say such a thing when she is a remainer.
It's like asking a vegan to organise a wild boar roast.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 02/04/2019 13:11, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

The original leaflet said, "This is your decision. The Government will
implement what you decide."

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 2 Apr 2019 17:29:37 +0100, Max Demian
wrote:

[...]

Well the deadline's passed and they haven't.

I think it's time to ask for One's money back.

AB
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 31 March 2019 16:02:50 UTC+1, harryÂ* wrote:
On the 10th November 2015, the then Prime Minister, David Cameron
made his Chatham House speech on Europe.Â* Memorably, and notably, he
said, and I quote verbatim:

And ultimately it will be the judgment of the British people in the
referendum that I promised and that I will deliver.Â* You will have to
judge what is best for you and your family, for your children and
grandchildren, for our country, for our future.Â* It will be your
decision whether to remain in the EU on the basis of the reforms we
secure, or whether we leave.Â* Your decision.Â* Nobody elses.Â* Not
politicians.Â* Not Parliaments.Â* Not lobby groups.Â* Not mine.Â* Just
you.Â* You, the British people, will decide.Â* At that moment, you will
hold this countrys destiny in your hands.Â* This is a huge decision
for our country, perhaps the biggest we will make in our lifetimes.
And it will be the final decision.

He went on to say:

When the British people speak, their voice will be respected €“ not
ignored.

If we vote to leave, then we will leave.Â* There will not be another
renegotiation and another referendum.

Irrespective of the end result.

What I still don't understand is how he had the right to do what he
said and change what a referendum is (advisory)Â* or how the result is
arrived at.

I would have thought some sort or law would need to be passed, inÂ* the
same way as if Trump says that if you vote for him then that means
he;s president for life or 10 years or whatever.

So what I'm saying is I don't understand how any prime minister of any
party can say what he said and that be acted on.

The original leaflet said, "This is your decision. The Government will
implement what you decide."

No, DC didn't have that power by himself, but separately, parliament
voted to abide by the result.

SteveW
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Max Demian wrote:
The original leaflet said, "This is your decision. The Government will
implement what you decide."

So the government makes any such decisions, then? Thought you Brexiteers
made a big issue about 'bringing back sovereignty'? Which in the UK means
parliament. Was that just another lie?

--
*If a pig loses its voice, is it disgruntled? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tuesday, 2 April 2019 17:29:49 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

A lealet can say what it likes can't it.

Do you have a link to that leaflet ?

This is what I've found

https://webarchive.nationalarchives....should-remain/

This is your chance to decide your own future and the future of the UK. It is important that you vote.

EVERY time you vote in a general election that can alter the future.
Since when to govenments implement everything you vote for ?
WFT happened to free student places at uni.s ?
And don't forget camooron said he;d get immigration down to 10s of thousands but it seems to be about 300,000 a year, which is not 10s of thousands or are you claim you can spin this by saying it's only 30 10s of thousands.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/04/2019 15:56, whisky-dave wrote:
[...]

https://webarchive.nationalarchives....ion-for-the-uk

http://tinyurl.com/y7e9bmbn

There's a PDF version somewhere. The quote is in the section headed, "A
once in a generation decision," near the end.

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Wednesday, 3 April 2019 17:54:32 UTC+1, Max Demian wrote:
[...]

What does once in a generation actually mean then.

I have never been asked if I want to be in a EEC or EU.

Some here obviously have.
if its once in a genration then surely we should have a vote at
regular intervals similar to elections, but less regualar.
So how many years would you say there are in one gernation ?

25.5 years
The average age of mothers at birth of their first child was 20 and at the last birth 31, giving a mean of 25.5 years per female generation €” considerably above the 20 years often attributed to primitive cultures. Husbands were six to 13 years older, giving a male generational interval of 31 to 38 years.16 Nov 2016
How long is a generation? Science provides an answer - ISOGG Wiki
https://isogg.org/wiki/How_long_is_a...es_an_an swer

But the EU seems to think you sign for the lifetime of the country or forever whichever is longest seems to be the figure the EU uses.

Why can;t every EU country have such a referdum every ~25 to 40 years years ?

So lokos like we are due for such a thing doesn't it

That way every country and it's people would know what leaving or remaining means or entails.
But that might be too democratic for the EU.

But do you agree with the PDF you refer to ?
if you sign up for a vote ounce in a generation when is the next one ?