Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Recommendations for rotary seed and fertiliser spreaders?

I've had the AccuPro 2000 recommended for use on large lawns but the
price is rather OTT for what the thing comprises. The cheap ones on
fleabay and elsewhere seem to have plastic gears, plain bearings and
poor coating. I'm tempted by the "Agri-Fab 45-0462" but haven't found
any reviews from owners.
Can anyone recommend something that works but is priced realistically?

(I asked this, without success, on ...rec.gardening but this group is
much more active so ...)
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, March 28, 2019 at 12:21:18 AM UTC, wrote:
On 27/03/2019 22:08, newshound wrote:
On 27/03/2019 22:06, newshound wrote:
On 27/03/2019 09:33, wrote:
I've had the AccuPro 2000 recommended for use on large lawns but the
price is rather OTT for what the thing comprises. The cheap ones on
fleabay and elsewhere seem to have plastic gears, plain bearings and
poor coating. I'm tempted by the "Agri-Fab 45-0462" but haven't found
any reviews from owners.
Can anyone recommend something that works but is priced realistically?

(I asked this, without success, on ...rec.gardening but this group is
much more active so ...)

No idea what I have, but it is a very cheap one. It started getting
crunchy and stiff to turn after not much use. I drilled holes into the
casing in suitable places to lubricate the gears etc with silicone oil
aerosol spray. Now it runs very smoothly and only needs occasional
lubrication.

Something like this

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Handy-Spr...AOSw8D9bpQ4 h

Thanks, but I need something a bit larger. There's a lot of lawn. I'm
told that the push ones are easier to use than those that are towed
behind a garden tractor, that's why I was thinking of something like the
Agri-Fab 45-0462.

I found the small hand operated one useless I also tried one on the back of a Westwood mower.
https://www.westwoodtractors.com/accessories
It was useless also

I use this
https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to spread biological washing powder on the moss on the tarmac drive which it does very effectively.Its hand having the on off control on the handle bar. Haven't tried ikt on the 'lawn' as its more of a field than a garden

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes, that's almost what I used before on a smaller lawn and it was fine.
But I think I now need something more akin to this:
https://www.mowersandspares.co.uk/pr...smartspreader/
.... but ideally something I can find reviews for and a bit cheaper -
used would be good, or in need of TLC.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

the Â*Â*Agri-Fab 45-0462.

I use mine for topping up bits of a four acre paddock with, typically,
20 kg of seed at a time.

I stand corrected, but are you sure you linked to the right thing? I've
got a couple of acres of lawn to weed, feed and seed and I can't imagine
trying to get an even spread with a handheld device (nevermind carrying
20kg for a long time).
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
[...]

Yes. I put the bag in a wheelbarrow. But I'm not trying to do a complete
re-seed after blasting with paraquat, just topping up patches that look
a bit thin. Grass seed shows up well on land that has been grazed down,
it is not difficult to see which bits you have covered, or where the
spreading density might be a bit low.

I use the same thing with nitrogen fertiliser, but tend to do that by
walking "strips" using fence posts for general alignment.

And just to confirm, mine is an Evergreen. A bit cheap and nasty but as
I said earlier, greatly improved by spraying the internals with silicone
spray.