Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Non-return valve for shower outlet

We have a problem with a drain smell in our cloakroom, which is fitted with a shower. I realise that it is possible to fit a non-return valve to the outflow, but access would be very difficult. Then I came across an Australian non-return valve which might fit in the shower drain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1bbwCyHyn4

And I also found "floor drain duckbill check valves" - but no associated web page.

Has anyone come across these, or anything similar?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Is your u/p trap defective or the water seal dried out?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 13:07:58 -0700 (PDT)
Keefiedee wrote:

We have a problem with a drain smell in our cloakroom, which is
fitted with a shower. I realise that it is possible to fit a
non-return valve to the outflow, but access would be very difficult.

I'm guessing that shower doesn't get used much and the trap has dried
out. Just run it occasionally to make sure the trap is full.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 13:07:58 -0700 (PDT), Keefiedee wrote:

We have a problem with a drain smell in our cloakroom, which is fitted with a shower. I realise that it is possible to fit a non-return valve to the outflow, but access would be very difficult. Then I came across an Australian non-return valve which might fit in the shower drain:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P1bbwCyHyn4

And I also found "floor drain duckbill check valves" - but no associated web page.

Has anyone come across these, or anything similar?

There are three that work on the same principle:
https://mcalpineplumbing.com/traps/s...g-waste-valves
https://www.vivasanitary.co.uk/products/traps.aspx third row down.
https://hepvo.com/

Toolstation has Macvalve and Viva Magna:
https://www.toolstation.com/plumbing/wastes/c981?
--
Peter.
The gods will stay away
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 March 2019 08:08:13 UTC, PeterC wrote:
[...]

Many thanks. My problem with that type of fitting is lack of access - which is why I wondered about the Australian non-return valve.

To answer other points made - I don't think the trap is defective, it's not very old, but it definitely isn't used much. But it has always been slightly smelly - and my wife has a very delicate nose!

Keith

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message ,
Keefiedee writes
[...]

Recent high winds may have emptied water traps with the venturi effect
sucking air from the stack vent. Not noticed with toilets/wash basins in
regular use.

--
Tim Lamb
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Good point, but this issue has been present for a long time. Originally there was no stack pipe for this outlet, and we did, in fact, have one fitted.. This helped a bit, and the smell does vary, so perhaps the wind is a factor here. Is the a special kind of cowling for the top of the stack pipe which would prevent wind blowing down it.

Keith
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 March 2019 08:21:13 UTC, Keefiedee wrote:
[...]

a little bleach and caustic might be what's wanted. Caustic can eat up the debris causing the whiff.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

But we have a septic tank - so no bleach or caustic!
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 24 March 2019 10:33:52 UTC, Keefiedee wrote:
But we have a septic tank - so no bleach or caustic!

there are other things you can use to eat stray matter. Hot water & detergent, acid, steam cleaning etc

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y
djc djc is offline

Keefiedee wrote:

We have a problem with a drain smell in our cloakroom, which is
fitted with a shower. I realise that it is possible to fit a
non-return valve to the outflow, but access would be very difficult.

I'm guessing that shower doesn't get used much and the trap has dried
out. Just run it occasionally to make sure the trap is full.

The traps for showers tend to smell after a while as they become clogged
with hair. Usually the trap can be removed by lifting the cover and
twisting it out, then clean it.

--
djc

(–€Ì¿Ä¹Ì¯–€Ì¿ Ì¿)
No low-hanging fruit, just a lot of small berries up a tall tree.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The worst thing for a shower is to use solid bar soap rather than shower
gels and liguid soaps.
Solid soap causes hair and stuff to coagulate into a scum.

Best advice anyone ever gave me was to ditch tablet soaps from the home.