DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Confirm, old fuel (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/633289-confirm-old-fuel.html)

ss March 22nd 19 05:59 PM

Confirm, old fuel

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

Bill Wright[_3_] March 22nd 19 07:55 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

Is it petrol? Are you sure? Not red diesel?

Bill

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 22nd 19 08:14 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/19 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

If it's leaded it will do your catalytic converter no good at all.

--

Jeff

Fredxx[_3_] March 22nd 19 08:32 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 20:14, Jeff Layman wrote:
On 22/03/19 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

If it's leaded it will do your catalytic converter no good at all.

Just how long ago was leaded on sale? It is leaded, perhaps it should be
better given to a museum?

Jim GM4DHJ ... March 22nd 19 08:34 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

have a wee fire to yourself ...should help nicely .....

--

Ask your doctor if medical advice from a TV advert or brian reay is
right for you

Cynic[_2_] March 22nd 19 08:49 PM

Confirm, old fuel

I wouldn't waste my time taking a litre of fuel to a recycle unit. What do you hope to achieve?
At the very worst you can wash oil based paint brushes out with it or save it for future use.

Vir Campestris March 22nd 19 09:53 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I'd prefer to feed it to a lawnmower or such rather than my car.

Andy

Jeff Layman[_2_] March 22nd 19 10:25 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/19 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

If it's leaded it will do your catalytic converter no good at all.

Just how long ago was leaded on sale? It is leaded, perhaps it should be
better given to a museum?

Evidently if was withdrawn from sale in 2000. I'm pretty sure I've got
bottles and other containers in the garage a /lot/ older than that!

The OP didn't say how old his fuel was.

--

Jeff

Roger Mills[_2_] March 22nd 19 10:51 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I wouldn't risk it if you don't know what it is - it could be diesel or
paraffin. If it's 2-stroke mix, your engine might not like the oil in it
- even diluted, as it will be.
--
Cheers,
Roger

ss March 22nd 19 11:56 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 22:51, Roger Mills wrote:
I wouldn't risk it if you don't know what it is - it could be diesel or
paraffin. If it's 2-stroke mix, your engine might not like the oil in it
- even diluted, as it will be.

It is petrol I just dont know if oil was added to make the 2 stroke
mixture although the reddish colour tends to say it was.

The dilution to the car will be approx 1 litre to 32 litres of petrol.
Of which only a fiftieth of the litre would be oil.

Rod Speed March 23rd 19 04:03 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/19 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

If it's leaded it will do your catalytic converter no good at all.

Just how long ago was leaded on sale? It is leaded, perhaps it should be
better given to a museum?

Evidently if was withdrawn from sale in 2000. I'm pretty sure I've got
bottles and other containers in the garage a /lot/ older than that!

I know I have two full jerrycans of petrol MUCH older than that.

The OP didn't say how old his fuel was.

Richard[_10_] March 23rd 19 06:46 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

As the saying goes, there's no fuel like an old fuel.

Jim GM4DHJ ... March 23rd 19 07:10 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

the things some people worry about .....

Andrew[_22_] March 23rd 19 07:45 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

Tip it in the tank of a diesel car (owned by someone who has
annoyed you).

Andrew[_22_] March 23rd 19 07:46 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/19 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

If it's leaded it will do your catalytic converter no good at all.

Just how long ago was leaded on sale? It is leaded, perhaps it should be
better given to a museum?

Evidently if was withdrawn from sale in 2000. I'm pretty sure I've got
bottles and other containers in the garage a /lot/ older than that!

The OP didn't say how old his fuel was.

AVgas still available ??

Andrew[_22_] March 23rd 19 07:48 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I'd prefer to feed it to a lawnmower or such rather than my car.

Andy

+1 fwiw

Neighbour has just spent 3 hours trying to start his petrol
lawnmower (4-stroke briggs & stratton) after he forgot to
drain out the tank last autumn.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 23rd 19 08:11 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 23/03/2019 07:48, Andrew wrote:
On 22/03/2019 22:05, wrote:
On Friday, 22 March 2019 21:53:08 UTC, Vir CampestrisÂ* wrote:
On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I'd prefer to feed it to a lawnmower or such rather than my car.

Andy

+1 fwiw

Neighbour has just spent 3 hours trying to start his petrol
lawnmower (4-stroke briggs & stratton) after he forgot to
drain out the tank last autumn.

Ive started lawnmower up to 2 yeras in stoirage same fuel. Likewas
motorhome.

Not optimal, but works

Or tip ina few liters of fresh

--
€śIt is dangerous to be right in matters on which the established
authorities are wrong.€ť

ۥ Voltaire, The Age of Louis XIV

Tim+[_5_] March 23rd 19 08:15 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I'd prefer to feed it to a lawnmower or such rather than my car.

Andy

+1 fwiw

Neighbour has just spent 3 hours trying to start his petrol
lawnmower (4-stroke briggs & stratton) after he forgot to
drain out the tank last autumn.

I have *never* drained the fuel from my B&S lawnmower at the end of the
season and it has always started in the spring with a couple of extra
pulls. Been doing this for at least 20 years now.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

harry March 23rd 19 08:20 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I'd prefer to feed it to a lawnmower or such rather than my car.

Andy

+1 fwiw

Neighbour has just spent 3 hours trying to start his petrol
lawnmower (4-stroke briggs & stratton) after he forgot to
drain out the tank last autumn.

Should have drained it down & made sure no fuel in carburetor.
The volatiles added to aid starting have evaporated off.
Petrol should be stored in a closed container (gas tight)to stop this from happening

Brian Gaff March 23rd 19 08:55 AM

Confirm, old fuel

Does that not depend on the way it dilutes in the tank though?

Give it to a local firm of gardeners.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Peeler[_3_] March 23rd 19 09:19 AM

Lonely Psychopathic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 15:03:07 +1100, cantankerous trolling senile geezer Rot
Speed blabbered, again:

I know I have two full jerrycans of petrol MUCH older than that.

Oh, **** ...and this little thread was Rot-free, so far! tsk

--
Sqwertz to Rot Speed:
asshole.

Tim Lamb[_2_] March 23rd 19 09:26 AM

Confirm, old fuel

In message
,
Tim+ writes
On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I'd prefer to feed it to a lawnmower or such rather than my car.

Andy

+1 fwiw

Neighbour has just spent 3 hours trying to start his petrol
lawnmower (4-stroke briggs & stratton) after he forgot to
drain out the tank last autumn.

I have *never* drained the fuel from my B&S lawnmower at the end of the
season and it has always started in the spring with a couple of extra
pulls. Been doing this for at least 20 years now.

Likewise. Chainsaws can need a carb clean but not always.

--
Tim Lamb

Michael Chare[_4_] March 23rd 19 09:27 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I'd prefer to feed it to a lawnmower or such rather than my car.

Andy

+1 fwiw

Neighbour has just spent 3 hours trying to start his petrol
lawnmower (4-stroke briggs & stratton) after he forgot to
drain out the tank last autumn.

I have *never* drained the fuel from my B&S lawnmower at the end of the
season and it has always started in the spring with a couple of extra
pulls. Been doing this for at least 20 years now.

Tim

I always drain the fuel from garden machinery before the winter or other
period of little use. There is an aditive you can buy to make starting
easier after prolonged inactivity. Getting rid of old fuel is more of a
problem now that both are cars are diesel. Fortunately my modern grass
cutters do start much more easily than the old ones. Maybe some sot of
electronic ignition.

--
Michael Chare

ARW March 23rd 19 09:36 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/19 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

If it's leaded it will do your catalytic converter no good at all.

Just how long ago was leaded on sale? It is leaded, perhaps it should be
better given to a museum?

Evidently if was withdrawn from sale in 2000. I'm pretty sure I've got
bottles and other containers in the garage a /lot/ older than that!

Saving them for a riot that never happened?

--
Adam

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 23rd 19 09:40 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 23/03/2019 09:27, Michael Chare wrote:
I always drain the fuel from garden machinery before the winter or other
period of little use. There is an aditive you can buy to make starting
easier after prolonged inactivity.Â* Getting rid of old fuel is more of a
problem now that both are cars are diesel. Fortunately my modern grass
cutters do start much more easily than the old ones. Maybe some sot of
electronic ignition.

I never drain the fuel

--
I would rather have questions that cannot be answered...
....than to have answers that cannot be questioned

Richard Feynman

Harry Bloomfield[_3_] March 23rd 19 10:01 AM

Confirm, old fuel

Tim+ formulated the question :
I have *never* drained the fuel from my B&S lawnmower at the end of the
season and it has always started in the spring with a couple of extra
pulls. Been doing this for at least 20 years now.

Same here with my B&S powered lawn tractor. I ran it for the first time
a couple of weeks ago to cut grass, then again yesterday. Started at
the first attempt, as I have come to expect.

[email protected] March 23rd 19 02:28 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On Saturday, 23 March 2019 09:27:41 UTC, Michael Chare wrote:

I always drain the fuel from garden machinery before the winter or other
period of little use. There is an aditive you can buy to make starting
easier after prolonged inactivity. Getting rid of old fuel is more of a
problem now that both are cars are diesel. Fortunately my modern grass
cutters do start much more easily than the old ones. Maybe some sot of
electronic ignition.

It used to be common practice to put a little petrol in diesel vehicles in winter.

NT

Rob Morley March 23rd 19 05:55 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On Fri, 22 Mar 2019 17:59:47 +0000
ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to
shove it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix#

Do you not know what the engine is that it was used for?

as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

Chuck it on a bonfire (without setting yourself alight).

Rob Morley March 23rd 19 05:56 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On Sat, 23 Mar 2019 08:11:14 +0000
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Ive started lawnmower up to 2 yeras in stoirage same fuel. Likewas
motorhome.

Probably depends on how hot your shed gets.

The Natural Philosopher[_2_] March 23rd 19 06:36 PM

Confirm, old fuel

ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to
shove it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix#

Do you not know what the engine is that it was used for?

as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

Chuck it on a bonfire (without setting yourself alight).

Almost impossible IMBE

"What kind of person is not interested in those things?"

"Jeremy Corbyn?"

Andrew Gabriel March 24th 19 11:02 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 23/03/2019 18:50, Tim Streater wrote:

ss wrote:

I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to
shove it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix#

Do you not know what the engine is that it was used for?

as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

Chuck it on a bonfire (without setting yourself alight).

Almost impossible IMBE

The flame goes up the stream of fuel faster than it falls down. So
you'd be holding a flaming container in what would be left of your
hand.

Good slow motion demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSILpFf_no0

--
Andrew

Vir Campestris March 24th 19 09:33 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 23/03/2019 07:48, Andrew wrote:

Neighbour has just spent 3 hours trying to start his petrol
lawnmower (4-stroke briggs & stratton) after he forgot to
drain out the tank last autumn.

My Honda started 2nd pull... OTOH it's been in a warm dry garage all
winter, and it's only 3 years old.

Andy

Rob Morley March 25th 19 05:11 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On Sun, 24 Mar 2019 11:02:16 +0000
Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Good slow motion demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSILpFf_no0

That's why you use an open container (mug, paint kettle) and chuck it
rather than pouring it.

Tim+[_5_] March 25th 19 05:56 PM

Confirm, old fuel

Andrew Gabriel wrote:

Good slow motion demo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NSILpFf_no0

That's why you use an open container (mug, paint kettle) and chuck it
rather than pouring it.

I think that lies on the spectrum somewhere twixt €śexceedingly brave€ť and
€śexceedingly foolish€ť. At no point is it a good idea.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls

Rob Morley March 25th 19 07:52 PM

Confirm, old fuel

On 25 Mar 2019 17:56:07 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

That's why you use an open container (mug, paint kettle) and chuck
it rather than pouring it.

I think that lies on the spectrum somewhere twixt €śexceedingly brave€ť
and €śexceedingly foolish€ť. At no point is it a good idea.

I agree that as a general rule it's something you just shouldn't do
unless you're wearing appropriate flame protection, and have someone
standing by with an extinguisher, but I seem to have got away with it on
multiple occasions. Someone should do a video demonstrating what you
can get away with and what you really shouldn't try. Maybe petrol
vapour vs. garden shed would be fun too. :-)

Richard[_10_] March 26th 19 05:41 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 25/03/2019 19:52, Rob Morley wrote:
On 25 Mar 2019 17:56:07 GMT
Tim+ wrote:

Rob Morley wrote:

That's why you use an open container (mug, paint kettle) and chuck
it rather than pouring it.

I think that lies on the spectrum somewhere twixt €śexceedingly brave€ť
and €śexceedingly foolish€ť. At no point is it a good idea.

I agree that as a general rule it's something you just shouldn't do
unless you're wearing appropriate flame protection, and have someone
standing by with an extinguisher, but I seem to have got away with it on
multiple occasions. Someone should do a video demonstrating what you
can get away with and what you really shouldn't try. Maybe petrol
vapour vs. garden shed would be fun too. :-)

Go on then. Waiting patiently for video...

Andy Burns[_13_] March 26th 19 06:47 AM

Confirm, old fuel

Rob Morley wrote:

Someone should do a video demonstrating what you
can get away with and what you really shouldn't try.

The best redneck vs petrol videos involve pouring lots of it over your
bonfire, then giving the vapour plenty of time to spread (while you put
the can back in the shed, fetch your lighter, swig your beer etc) before
lighting it up, e.g.

https://youtu.be/UH4Hw9s8OAM

newshound March 26th 19 09:39 AM

Confirm, old fuel

On 22/03/2019 17:59, ss wrote:
I have some old fuel (approx 1 x litre) in a can.
To avoid the hassle of going to a recycle place would I be ok to shove
it my petrol car when I have a full tank.
The litre is possibly 2 stroke mix as it has a reddish tinge, its
leftovers from a small generator.

I would only use it in a lawnmower or similar. No need to go to a
disposal place, stick it in the garden in a shallow open tray and let it
evaporate.