Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Dyson 2

Just seen that they charge £99 so I will DIY it.

New motor for less than £20 - or should I try brushes first?

Any traps on dismantling it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2019 18:18, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just seen that they charge £99 so I will DIY it.

New motor for less than £20 - or should I try brushes first?

Any traps on dismantling it?

Watch this?
How to repair a Dyson DC07, DC14 & DC33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBl_CliTfXw
Posted to uk.d-i-y

DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

Just seen that they charge £99 so I will DIY it.

New motor for less than £20 - or should I try brushes first?

Any traps on dismantling it?

Should I get some brushes from local shop - or order a new motor off Ebay?
Dilemma.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2019 21:06, DerbyBorn wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

Just seen that they charge £99 so I will DIY it.

New motor for less than £20 - or should I try brushes first?

Any traps on dismantling it?

Should I get some brushes from local shop - or order a new motor off Ebay?
Dilemma.

Does the brush wear look sufficient to explain the failure? Personally I
would try new brushes first, but likely to be much cheaper on eBay than
in a shop. After all they will still be suitable spares even if you end
up with a new motor.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 18/02/2019 22:01, newshound wrote:
On 18/02/2019 21:06, DerbyBorn wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

Just seen that they charge £99 so I will DIY it.

New motor for less than £20 - or should I try brushes first?

Any traps on dismantling it?

Should I get some brushes from local shop - or order a new motor off
Ebay?
Dilemma.

Does the brush wear look sufficient to explain the failure? Personally I
would try new brushes first, but likely to be much cheaper on eBay than
in a shop. After all they will still be suitable spares even if you end
up with a new motor.

It depends on the nature of the sparks.
If there is a ring of sparks tending to go round the commutator surface
then it is highly likely the armature has problems.
If the sparks are mainly along the edges of the brushes and not
circumferential then either the brushes are worn too short, there is
insufficient spring pressure or the brush is binding in its guide.
Different amount of sparking on one brush to the other suggests brush
problems.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Monday, 18 February 2019 21:07:01 UTC, DerbyBorn wrote:
DerbyBorn wrote in
2.222:

Just seen that they charge £99 so I will DIY it.

New motor for less than £20 - or should I try brushes first?

Any traps on dismantling it?

Should I get some brushes from local shop - or order a new motor off Ebay?
Dilemma.

Brushes from shop or online.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Richard wrote in news:q4etkn$1gro$1
@gioia.aioe.org:

On 18/02/2019 18:18, DerbyBorn wrote:
Just seen that they charge £99 so I will DIY it.

New motor for less than £20 - or should I try brushes first?

Any traps on dismantling it?

Watch this?
How to repair a Dyson DC07, DC14 & DC33
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBl_CliTfXw

Need to get a slim torx tomorrow.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Well they are costing the labour that you wont charge yourself, so I'd think
their price is not over the top. If it were I and no other damage then
replace the motor completely.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"DerbyBorn" wrote in message
2.222...
Just seen that they charge £99 so I will DIY it.

New motor for less than £20 - or should I try brushes first?

Any traps on dismantling it?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Gaff" wrote in
:

Well they are costing the labour that you wont charge yourself, so I'd
think their price is not over the top. If it were I and no other
damage then replace the motor completely.
Brian

Motor ordered - I mand the right decision - the communtator is in a bit of
a state. One brush crumbled away.

All plastic parts washed and awating the motor - had to buy a Torx driver
as my adaptors would not reach down the counterbores to get to a couple of
them.

Looking for source of spare parts for Dyson appliances (other than Dyson!) [email protected] UK diy 7 April 5th 06 02:43 AM
Dyson DC04 Switch/Lead John UK diy 0 September 5th 03 03:22 PM
Dyson DC04 dave cunningham UK diy 1 September 2nd 03 10:22 PM
Best place to buy a Dyson DC04? The Q UK diy 4 July 11th 03 01:18 PM
Replace Dyson Plug Ade Smith UK diy 2 July 4th 03 05:23 PM