Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Flushing rads & pipes

Want to assemble kit to clear junk out of pipes & rads on a system with poor flow on the ground floor. I have a CH pump that can be hooked up to various subsections of the system, it's not a power flusher of course but probably will get the job done. I'll add valves to direct the water both ways. Buying a filter is one option, is there a simpler/cheaper way to catch debris, something I could assemble?

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

+1 for removing radiators and flushing with a hose, messy job but most effective.

Richard
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 11:29:09 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
tabbypurr submitted this idea :

Want to assemble kit to clear junk out of pipes & rads on a system with poor
flow on the ground floor. I have a CH pump that can be hooked up to various
subsections of the system, it's not a power flusher of course but probably
will get the job done. I'll add valves to direct the water both ways. Buying
a filter is one option, is there a simpler/cheaper way to catch debris,
something I could assemble?

snip beginner's advice

I suppose a series of strong magnets clamped around a wide pipe, which
could be removed, to then allow the particals to be flushed, would
work, but cost wouldn't be much cheaper than a ready made filter.

That might work, though won't pick out biofouling, which is an unknown percentage of the problem. Wouldn't cost anything.

I was wondering about a round container with connectors terminating in elbows inside to get some cyclonic action, or perhaps something as basic as a rectangular box would see rust & sludge sink. I could add a magnet in a bag near the outlet.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 9 February 2019 13:58:59 UTC, John Rumm wrote:
On 09/02/2019 10:42, tabbypurr wrote:

Want to assemble kit to clear junk out of pipes & rads on a system
with poor flow on the ground floor. I have a CH pump that can be
hooked up to various subsections of the system, it's not a power
flusher of course but probably will get the job done. I'll add valves
to direct the water both ways. Buying a filter is one option, is
there a simpler/cheaper way to catch debris, something I could
assemble?

The pump approach is ok if you want to circulate some kind of system
cleaner. However mains water and a drain is the easy way to get the bulk
of the crap out of it.

I got good result doing:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...ssure_flushing

The ground floor has 2 drain points, neither of which work due to cloggage. Adding more is not likely to work as there is not much ground floor action.. There's also no way to isolate the boiler other than by doing some plumbing (gasp), access to which is problematic. The system has cleaner in & a mag filter fitted. So I was thinking initially of pumping between the 2 drain points. Rads have been removed & flushed before, it seems the junk lies in the pipework, which is not ideally laid out.

Maybe I'll just go with a box and a magnet & scourer as a filter - anything finer can be caught by the existing system filter.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 10/02/2019 09:09, wrote:
[...]

Sticking full mains flow into a a rad tail, and then venting it at
various points (other tail, drain point, drain point 2 etc) will let you
clear the system in sections. Isolating all rads bar one will also let
you concentrate on one rad and its feed pipe work at a time.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 10 February 2019 19:24:29 UTC, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
on 09/02/2019, tabbypurr supposed :

That might work, though won't pick out biofouling, which is an unknown
percentage of the problem. Wouldn't cost anything.

Something like a fine mesh presently a large surface area, so it
doesn't restrict the flow too much would work for the none metallic
particles. Add in a way to bypass it and a couple of valves to enable
it to be taken out of circuit easily, to clean it out.

A sieve would work with a rectangular container & silicone. So.. what container?

Mains flushing is possible but added hassle. The system won't drain anywhere downstairs. Even the plastic header tank had a thick layer of rusty debris in.

NT