Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Fitting pipes in place before rads.

Hi, I'll be fitting the pipes for the rads in the extension this
weekend, the question I have is that I cannot mount the rads yet as I
have not plastered, so I will have to "guestimate" where the valves
will be in relation to where the pipes are (if that makes sense) then
plaster, mount the rads and hope the pipes are pretty close, some
movemnt will be inevitable and might break the plaster at that point.
is there a way around this, or am I baking up the wrong tree and there
is a totaly different way of doing it? and what is the tidyest way of
having the pipes exit the wall?

Ta,

Posted to uk.d-i-y

The Natural Philosopher wrote:
Staffbull wrote:
AJ wrote:
In article . com,
says...
Hi, I'll be fitting the pipes for the rads in the extension this
weekend, the question I have is that I cannot mount the rads yet as I
have not plastered, so I will have to "guestimate" where the valves
will be in relation to where the pipes are (if that makes sense) then
plaster, mount the rads and hope the pipes are pretty close, some
movemnt will be inevitable and might break the plaster at that point.
is there a way around this, or am I baking up the wrong tree and there
is a totaly different way of doing it? and what is the tidyest way of
having the pipes exit the wall?

Ta,

Put the valves on the rads and measure the gap between them... Why can't
you work out where the pipes will be required and put them in the
correct place?

This is what i intend to do, but there will be some play invovled
putting the pipes in the rads after, this I'm sure will cause some
movement where the pipe exits the wall, just trying to minimise any
damage to the plaster.

If you just leave stubs coming out, and use a pair of 45 degree bends
later on, you can connect to any reasonable offset.

However the better advice is to use packing to fit the radiators where
they will go, get the piping right, and then remove the rads and as much
piping as possible to let the plasterer have access.

Top idea!! If I pack with 15mm timber (10mm sand/cement 3mm pink, give
or take) would this be stong enough to mount the rads to if I use the
timber as just a spacer, i.e. drill through and put the rawplugs in the
wall behind the timber? also what is the tidyest way of having the
pipes exit the plaster on the wall, I'm thinking of using a 90 out of
the wall as if I just use the bend in the microbore it would be a bitch
for the plasterer I would imagine.

fixing hole in ceiling around light fitting deanow27 UK diy 1 May 17th 06 06:25 AM
cold rads rob UK diy 6 February 1st 06 01:34 PM
Fitting Radiator Thermostatic Valves Simon C UK diy 6 September 14th 04 09:33 PM
Fitting Radiator Thermostatic Valves Simon C UK diy 1 September 13th 04 07:06 PM
Please help - to microbore or not...? Rebecca UK diy 17 August 21st 03 04:05 PM