Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Can you get filing cabinet drawer hardware?

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 8 February 2019 19:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

You may be able to make your own

https://www.instructables.com/id/IKE...-Cabinet-Hack/

Alternatively there are things like this

https://www.locksonline.com/Drop-in-rails-2631.html
(cheap)

part of
https://www.locksonline.com/Office-F...onents-56.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pendaflex-S...dp/B000FD804K/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-R...dp/B007K4YJLU/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rev-A-Shelf.../dp/B002PEOX3Y
(spendy)

Cannibalising an old cabinet for bits is probably the way to go.

Owain
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...filing+cabinet

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...filing+cabinet

OK, thanks, they're just the runners like the ones that can be bought
for kitchen drawers, I've used them before on some 'under seat'
drawers in my daughter's house. I was hoping one might find a bit more
hardware for the drawer, like one can find kitchen pan drawer hardware
but maybe not.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Depends exactly what you're after, but take a look he

https://www.comdir.co.uk/furniture-hardware.html

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
news
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Yes, but there is nothing too it to do it from scratch.
The rails are just a vertical about 2mm thick at the top
where the folders slide on.

I made the whole thing out of 19mm square tube welded
up into a rectangular cube with swivel wheels welded onto
the bottom so you can wheel it around the house and wheel
it into a bottomless cupboard at the base of the table or desk.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...filing+cabinet

OK, thanks, they're just the runners like the ones that can be bought
for kitchen drawers, I've used them before on some 'under seat'
drawers in my daughter's house. I was hoping one might find a bit more
hardware for the drawer, like one can find kitchen pan drawer hardware
but maybe not.

Time for some more gogling...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

2987fr wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message
news
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Yes, but there is nothing too it to do it from scratch.
The rails are just a vertical about 2mm thick at the top
where the folders slide on.

I made the whole thing out of 19mm square tube welded
up into a rectangular cube with swivel wheels welded onto
the bottom so you can wheel it around the house and wheel
it into a bottomless cupboard at the base of the table or desk.

I can do the welding bit, that's not an issue. However we're not
after a mobile filing cabinet, we want something that will blend into
(and disappear to soem extent) in a large summer house.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

2987fr wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message
news
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Yes, but there is nothing too it to do it from scratch.
The rails are just a vertical about 2mm thick at the top
where the folders slide on.

I made the whole thing out of 19mm square tube welded
up into a rectangular cube with swivel wheels welded onto
the bottom so you can wheel it around the house and wheel
it into a bottomless cupboard at the base of the table or desk.

I can do the welding bit, that's not an issue. However we're not
after a mobile filing cabinet, we want something that will blend into
(and disappear to soem extent) in a large summer house.

Sure, but the point I was making is that all you need to do is organise
two parallel rails of roughly 1mm thick metal standing vertically. Even
just 2 aluminium strips with a screw into the wall with a say 7mm long
tube spacer anound the screw to keep the strip off the wall will work fine.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends on the age, but I've never seen anything except for spares which
were expensive.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Chris Green" wrote in message
news
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Brian Gaff wrote

Depends on the age, but I've never seen anything except for spares which
were expensive.

That’s because you are blind, silly.

"Chris Green" wrote in message
news
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

--
Chris Green
·

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 22:19:29 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...filing+cabinet

OK, thanks, they're just the runners like the ones that can be bought
for kitchen drawers, I've used them before on some 'under seat'
drawers in my daughter's house. I was hoping one might find a bit more
hardware for the drawer, like one can find kitchen pan drawer hardware
but maybe not.

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/
https://www.hafele.co.uk/INTERSHOP/w...gs+cle arance
https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/products...fa8549fddc606/

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/02/2019 19:24, Chris Green wrote:
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Could you clarify what you mean by hardware?

Drawer runners are easy to find, but do you specifically want an
interlock between drawers?

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...filing+cabinet

OK, thanks, they're just the runners like the ones that can be bought
for kitchen drawers, I've used them before on some 'under seat'
drawers in my daughter's house. I was hoping one might find a bit more
hardware for the drawer, like one can find kitchen pan drawer hardware
but maybe not.

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/
https://www.hafele.co.uk/INTERSHOP/w...gs+cle arance

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/products...fa8549fddc606/

Yes, thank you, there's useful stuff there.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/02/2019 00:37, 2987fr wrote:

Sure, but the point I was making is that all you need to do is organise
two parallel rails of roughly 1mm thick metal standing vertically. Even
just 2 aluminium strips with a screw into the wall with a say 7mm long
tube spacer anound the screw to keep the strip off the wall will work fine.

Mine are made with aluminium L section drilled and screwed in place the
right distance apart. Or you buy the chassis from Office World and stand
it in the drawer.