DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Can you get filing cabinet drawer hardware? (https://www.diybanter.com/uk-diy/630886-can-you-get-filing-cabinet-drawer-hardware.html)

Chris Green February 8th 19 07:24 PM

Can you get filing cabinet drawer hardware?

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

--
Chris Green
·

[email protected] February 8th 19 07:51 PM

On Friday, 8 February 2019 19:33:05 UTC, Chris Green wrote:
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

You may be able to make your own

https://www.instructables.com/id/IKE...-Cabinet-Hack/

Alternatively there are things like this

https://www.locksonline.com/Drop-in-rails-2631.html
(cheap)

part of
https://www.locksonline.com/Office-F...onents-56.html

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pendaflex-S...dp/B000FD804K/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Aluminium-R...dp/B007K4YJLU/

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Rev-A-Shelf.../dp/B002PEOX3Y
(spendy)

Cannibalising an old cabinet for bits is probably the way to go.

Owain

Peter Parry February 8th 19 09:59 PM

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...filing+cabinet

Chris Green February 8th 19 10:19 PM

Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...filing+cabinet

OK, thanks, they're just the runners like the ones that can be bought
for kitchen drawers, I've used them before on some 'under seat'
drawers in my daughter's house. I was hoping one might find a bit more
hardware for the drawer, like one can find kitchen pan drawer hardware
but maybe not.

--
Chris Green
·

Bob Eager[_7_] February 8th 19 10:23 PM

On Fri, 08 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Depends exactly what you're after, but take a look he

https://www.comdir.co.uk/furniture-hardware.html

2987fr February 8th 19 10:36 PM

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Yes, but there is nothing too it to do it from scratch.
The rails are just a vertical about 2mm thick at the top
where the folders slide on.

I made the whole thing out of 19mm square tube welded
up into a rectangular cube with swivel wheels welded onto
the bottom so you can wheel it around the house and wheel
it into a bottomless cupboard at the base of the table or desk.

Jim K.. February 8th 19 10:41 PM

Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...filing+cabinet

OK, thanks, they're just the runners like the ones that can be bought
for kitchen drawers, I've used them before on some 'under seat'
drawers in my daughter's house. I was hoping one might find a bit more
hardware for the drawer, like one can find kitchen pan drawer hardware
but maybe not.

Time for some more gogling...
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

Chris Green February 8th 19 10:51 PM

2987fr wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Yes, but there is nothing too it to do it from scratch.
The rails are just a vertical about 2mm thick at the top
where the folders slide on.

I made the whole thing out of 19mm square tube welded
up into a rectangular cube with swivel wheels welded onto
the bottom so you can wheel it around the house and wheel
it into a bottomless cupboard at the base of the table or desk.

I can do the welding bit, that's not an issue. However we're not
after a mobile filing cabinet, we want something that will blend into
(and disappear to soem extent) in a large summer house.

--
Chris Green
·

2987fr February 9th 19 12:37 AM

2987fr wrote:

"Chris Green" wrote in message
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Yes, but there is nothing too it to do it from scratch.
The rails are just a vertical about 2mm thick at the top
where the folders slide on.

I made the whole thing out of 19mm square tube welded
up into a rectangular cube with swivel wheels welded onto
the bottom so you can wheel it around the house and wheel
it into a bottomless cupboard at the base of the table or desk.

I can do the welding bit, that's not an issue. However we're not
after a mobile filing cabinet, we want something that will blend into
(and disappear to soem extent) in a large summer house.

Sure, but the point I was making is that all you need to do is organise
two parallel rails of roughly 1mm thick metal standing vertically. Even
just 2 aluminium strips with a screw into the wall with a say 7mm long
tube spacer anound the screw to keep the strip off the wall will work fine.

Brian Gaff February 9th 19 08:25 AM

Can you get filing cabinet drawer hardware?

Depends on the age, but I've never seen anything except for spares which
were expensive.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!

Rod Speed February 9th 19 09:01 AM

Can you get filing cabinet drawer hardware?

Brian Gaff wrote

Depends on the age, but I've never seen anything except for spares which
were expensive.

That’s because you are blind, silly.

Peter Parry February 9th 19 11:00 AM

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/
https://www.hafele.co.uk/INTERSHOP/w...gs+cle arance
https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/products...fa8549fddc606/

John Rumm February 9th 19 02:04 PM

On 08/02/2019 19:24, Chris Green wrote:
I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

Could you clarify what you mean by hardware?

Drawer runners are easy to find, but do you specifically want an
interlock between drawers?

--
Cheers,

John.

Chris Green February 9th 19 05:23 PM

Peter Parry wrote:
On Fri, 8 Feb 2019 19:24:41 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I want to build some office furniture as in a desk plus some storage
space. Can one get filing cabinet hardware like you can get kitchen
drawer hardware?

https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/...filing+cabinet

OK, thanks, they're just the runners like the ones that can be bought
for kitchen drawers, I've used them before on some 'under seat'
drawers in my daughter's house. I was hoping one might find a bit more
hardware for the drawer, like one can find kitchen pan drawer hardware
but maybe not.

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/
https://www.hafele.co.uk/INTERSHOP/w...gs+cle arance

https://www.hafele.co.uk/en/products...fa8549fddc606/

Yes, thank you, there's useful stuff there.

--
Chris Green
·

TimW February 9th 19 09:56 PM

On 09/02/2019 00:37, 2987fr wrote:

Sure, but the point I was making is that all you need to do is organise
two parallel rails of roughly 1mm thick metal standing vertically. Even
just 2 aluminium strips with a screw into the wall with a say 7mm long
tube spacer anound the screw to keep the strip off the wall will work fine.

Mine are made with aluminium L section drilled and screwed in place the
right distance apart. Or you buy the chassis from Office World and stand
it in the drawer.