Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Decorators in on Tuesday

I'm getting a couple of walls painted. These have got woodchip on some of them but not all (no idea why). Anyway, the decorators have said if the walls aren't in great nick they'll use lining paper. If done properly does it look good?

Also, I'm going for an off-white colour and he suggested doing the ceilings the same. Does that sound right to you? I've always painted the ceilings brilliant white, regardless. Thanks.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2019 13:14, Andy Burns wrote:
wrote:

the decorators have said if the walls aren't in great nick they'll
useĀ* lining paper. If done properly does it look good?

Usually woodchip is hiding something, lining done well can look good,
but the thin stuff doesn't disguise much, consider thicker stuff if needed

https://toolstation.com/wallrock-fibreliner/p14480

At one time 30/40 years ago the sheds were awash with woodchip and it
was the cheap and easy way to hide something. These days a decent
quality lining paper such as fibreliner does the same job and can look
better. However, fibreliner will only hide minor imperfections so if
stripping the wood chip reveals and real problems these do need to be
fixed before using a lining paper.

Also, I'm going for an off-white colour and he suggested doing the
ceilings the same. Does that sound right to you? I've always painted
the ceilings brilliant white

Personally, I'd go with white ceilings

The decorators would prefer not to cut in between two colours of paint
hence suggesting that the same colour is used on the walls and ceilings.

The only thing I would recommend is that the ceiling is a matt finish
rather than a "silk" finish.

Would an off white join on a white ceiling make the off white look
dirty? Contrasting colours may work but when one is minor shade away
will it still look OK?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 03/02/2019 13:37, alan_m wrote:

The decorators would prefer not to cut in between two colours of paint
hence suggesting that the same colour is used on the walls and ceilings.

If the decorator cannot cut in, I'd find a new decorator!!!

If I can hand cut a dark colour to a light colour, anyone who can't
needs to be fired! :-

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

The only thing I would recommend is that the ceiling is a matt finish
rather than a "silk" finish.

?

Silk is horrid.