Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default Plastic repair update

Re previous post:
Ok having looked at it more carefully I have managed to seperate the 2
parts (also better images below) It is off a Kirby vacuum shampoo water
tank, it is an on/off `valve`
My thoughts are to insert a couple of pins (dovetail layout) to support
whatever epoxy will stick to the plastic and fill the void at the bottom
left hand image.
There is no reason to have to disassemble this part later on so a
permanent fix I am hoping for.

Any further thoughts welcome?

https://imgur.com/a/IlPyXtY
Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss Wrote in message:
Re previous post:
Ok having looked at it more carefully I have managed to seperate the 2
parts (also better images below) It is off a Kirby vacuum shampoo water
tank, it is an on/off `valve`
My thoughts are to insert a couple of pins (dovetail layout) to support
whatever epoxy will stick to the plastic and fill the void at the bottom
left hand image.
There is no reason to have to disassemble this part later on so a
permanent fix I am hoping for.

Any further thoughts welcome?

https://imgur.com/a/IlPyXtY

Keep it all in one thread?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"ss" wrote in message
Re previous post:
Ok having looked at it more carefully I have managed to seperate the 2
parts (also better images below) It is off a Kirby vacuum shampoo water
tank, it is an on/off `valve`
My thoughts are to insert a couple of pins (dovetail layout) to support
whatever epoxy will stick to the plastic and fill the void at the bottom
left hand image.

There is no reason to have to disassemble this part later on so a
permanent fix I am hoping for.

Any further thoughts welcome?

I'd try Sugru.

https://imgur.com/a/IlPyXtY

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 26/01/2019 19:36, ss wrote:
Re previous post:
Ok having looked at it more carefully I have managed to seperate the 2
parts (also better images below) It is off a Kirby vacuum shampoo water
tank, it is an on/off `valve`
My thoughts are to insert a couple of pins (dovetail layout) to support
whatever epoxy will stick to the plastic and fill the void at the bottom
left hand image.
There is no reason to have to disassemble this part later on so a
permanent fix I am hoping for.

Any further thoughts welcome?

https://imgur.com/a/IlPyXtY

Ah.

NOW I see what is going on.

Is the shaht solid? If it is here is what I would do.

Remove the other lug.

Fill the entire top of the knob with car body filler.

When set drill through it and into the plastic shaft of the other bit
and put a couple of small self taps in.

--
"If you dont read the news paper, you are un-informed. If you read the
news paper, you are mis-informed."

Mark Twain
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 26/01/2019 19:36, ss wrote:
[...]

No the shaft isnt solid, but I could either fill the shaft with a dowel
of some sort or maybe a resin and then put a self tap in.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2019 09:36, ss wrote:
On 26/01/2019 19:36, ss wrote:
[...]

Yes. I think the more phislophical mesaning I was trying to convey was:

"Stop trying to put it back like it was, and think instead of what
function it has to fulfil, and what available solutions you have that
would meet that, even though they bear no realationship to the original
design".

Like the time when, faced with a corroded PCB coinnectoor and circuit
board in the te freelander passenger lights, and the dealer said 'new
light unit and loom, as that connector is not available on it's
own'....and I thought, said 'sod it', parked by an outside power point,
plugged in me soldering iron, cut the connectror off and soldered the
wires directly to the PCB....

--
"When a true genius appears in the world, you may know him by this sign,
that the dunces are all in confederacy against him."

Jonathan Swift.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 27/01/2019 09:36, ss wrote:
On 26/01/2019 19:36, ss wrote:
[...]

boardÂ* in the te freelander passenger lights, and the dealer said 'new
light unit and loom, as that connector is not available on it's
own'....and I thought, said 'sod it',

A 'merkin would have said, "sodder it"

parked by an outside power point,
plugged in me soldering iron,Â* cut the connectror off and soldered the
wires directly to the PCB....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sat, 26 Jan 2019 19:36:14 +0000, ss wrote:

Re previous post:
Ok having looked at it more carefully I have managed to seperate the 2
parts (also better images below) It is off a Kirby vacuum shampoo water
tank, it is an on/off `valve`
My thoughts are to insert a couple of pins (dovetail layout) to support
whatever epoxy will stick to the plastic and fill the void at the bottom
left hand image.
There is no reason to have to disassemble this part later on so a
permanent fix I am hoping for.

Any further thoughts welcome?

https://imgur.com/a/IlPyXtY

Yes I already deduced what it was from your inadequate photos and zero
description, and looked for a purchasable replacement part without
success. You now have to post photos of the hidden faces of the parts
if you want proper advice. Why is the knob bottom left in your new
photo different from the one top right, and has lugs but no ramps?
What does a lug look like from the side?
--
Dave W
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 27/01/2019 20:04, Dave W wrote:
[...]

Because one has the the 2 parts linked and the other doesnt. But no
worries I am going to buy a haynes manual on repairing Kirby carpet
cleaner water tank valves that should solve it.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 27 January 2019 23:41:17 UTC, ss wrote:
[...]

Youtube is a lot more informative on repairs IME.

NT

Posted to uk.d-i-y

ss wrote:

Re previous post:
Ok having looked at it more carefully I have managed to seperate the
2 parts (also better images below) It is off a Kirby vacuum shampoo
water tank, it is an on/off `valve`
My thoughts are to insert a couple of pins (dovetail layout) to
support whatever epoxy will stick to the plastic and fill the void at
the bottom left hand image.
There is no reason to have to disassemble this part later on so a
permanent fix I am hoping for.

Any further thoughts welcome?

https://imgur.com/a/IlPyXtY

Remove the remaining tab and clean up the surface. Get a bit of
square steel bar (door knob spindle?) heat it up and press it in so it
makes a socket for itself. Assuming this is a thermoplastic you're
dealing with, of course.