Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Valliant Turbomax Plus 828E - Fault Code Intermittent F.22 (Fix)

On 08/01/2019 15:17, Jethro_uk wrote:
On Tue, 08 Jan 2019 14:29:51 +0000, www.GymRatZ.co.uk wrote:

Reading between the lines this was a "regulation" of the site/forum that
no-one could discuss the gas-side of boiler repairs.

Arguably increasing the risk of an accident ?

Elimination of liability should someone kill someone I'd expect.

Screwed in the replacements, put the burner box back together and fired
it up. This morning we came into a lovely warm shop and the boiler's
been running without a hitch.

Could it have just been loose connections to start with ?

Possibly but the plastic spade connector cover was discolored from heat.
Looked like the component had cooked it's self. Didn't have a meter to
hand to measure it but I believe it should be around 10kΩ

Now I'm just waiting for the "Gas Safe police" to cart me off for
tampering with a gas appliance without a certificate of competence.

Luckily they can FRO - it's only if you charge *somebody else* you need
to be Gas Safe.

Exactly.

I might note this ... weirdly got an F22 on my Vaillant on Sunday, when
DHW was being drawn. A re-fire cured it then.

There's also one on the DHW pipe too (I think it's one)- far easier to
get to than the ones on the Heat Exchanger but I left that one.

The other fault I've had to clear by going into the burner box was an
ignition issue. A build-up of oxide on the head of the flame sensor was
causing the unit to shut down before the flame heat warmed it up enough.

Bit of fine wet&dry to polish it up and that was sorted out.
That was the first time in 15 years the burner box had been opened.

Got to be pretty brainwashed and clueless to believe gas boilers need an
annual service (except where it's a legal/insurance landlord obligation)
..