Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mix and match parts from two near-identical netbooks?

I have two HP minis: one is a HP2133 and the other is it's
near-identical relative the HP2140. They are a bit elderly but both
built like tanks with the same aluminium shell and a magnesium chassis
and with near-full-size keyboards they are a delight to use.

The 2133 is rather slow and sluggish but has excellent speakers and
high-definition screen built into the lid. The 2140 is more sprightly -
it will play full-screen video without any jumps or stutters - but the
sound is execrable and the screen is decidedly lo-fi.

I'm considering swapping the lids so the good sound and vision go with
the better processor etc. The fittings are identical in each: the lid,
hinges, microphone and webcam are all in exactly the same places but the
screen and the speakers are different. I know that the 2140 graphics
card will handle a higher resolution display because it automatically
adjusts when plugged into a higher quality external display. I can't see
what could possibly go wrong...

....But Sod's Law says there's something I've overlooked.

Before I commit myself to dismantling these machines, does anybody know
definitively that all the connectors inside will be the same and that it
will be a simple, straightforward swap? What are the gotchas?

Thanks!

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:

does anybody know definitively that all the connectors inside will be
the same

Don't know about HP, but with Dell the same model of laptop, but using a
different screen (matte vs glossy, or standard resolution vs highDPI)
can have different connectors.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Mix and match parts from two near-identical netbooks? HP Mini2133 &2140

On 08/01/2019 16:27, Andy Burns wrote:
Nick Odell wrote:

does anybody know definitively that all the connectors inside will be
the same

Don't know about HP, but with Dell the same model of laptop, but using a
different screen (matte vs glossy, or standard resolution vs highDPI)
can have different connectors.

Good point. If nobody here has physically taken these models apart and
knows the answer first hand, might there be a repository of HP service
sheets somewhere to look it up. All I seem able to find are HP's
standard help pages and these items are no longer supported by them anyway.

Thanks,

Nick
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:

Andy Burns wrote:

with Dell the same model of laptop, but using a different screen
(matte vs glossy, or standard resolution vs highDPI) can have
different connectors.

Good point.

If the connector at the screen end is different, but the motherboard end
is the same, you could probably swap the looms
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Also sometimes the inverter for the backlights are different in different
screens. Sometimes the inverter is actually in the screen itself, but if not
then a module on the pcb might need to be swapped.
Its been a long time since I saw inside aa laptop.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andy Burns" wrote in message
Nick Odell wrote:

does anybody know definitively that all the connectors inside will be the
same

Don't know about HP, but with Dell the same model of laptop, but using a
different screen (matte vs glossy, or standard resolution vs highDPI) can
have different connectors.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2019 19:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
Also sometimes the inverter for the backlights are different in different
screens. Sometimes the inverter is actually in the screen itself, but if not
then a module on the pcb might need to be swapped.
Its been a long time since I saw inside aa laptop.

Another good point I hadn't considered. Might this affect the wiring
loom between the lid and the base? I had hoped it might be as simple as
unscrewing the hinges, unplugging the connectors and swapping them over.

Of course it may be. But I don't want to commit to dismantling either or
both until I am fairly sure of success.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Nick Odell wrote:
On 08/01/2019 19:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
Also sometimes the inverter for the backlights are different in different
screens. Sometimes the inverter is actually in the screen itself, but if not
then a module on the pcb might need to be swapped.
Its been a long time since I saw inside aa laptop.

Another good point I hadn't considered. Might this affect the wiring
loom between the lid and the base? I had hoped it might be as simple as
unscrewing the hinges, unplugging the connectors and swapping them over.

Of course it may be. But I don't want to commit to dismantling either or
both until I am fairly sure of success.

Nick

Another thing worth considering is swapping the HD in the slower machine
for a SSD. Depending on what you use it for this might give you the
performance gains that you want.

Tim

--
Please don't feed the trolls
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Tue, 8 Jan 2019 16:10:33 +0000, Nick Odell
wrote:

[...]

You might be able to extract the information you need he

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01658655
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2019 21:13, Tim+ wrote:
Nick Odell wrote:
On 08/01/2019 19:40, Brian Gaff wrote:
Also sometimes the inverter for the backlights are different in different
screens. Sometimes the inverter is actually in the screen itself, but if not
then a module on the pcb might need to be swapped.
Its been a long time since I saw inside aa laptop.

Another good point I hadn't considered. Might this affect the wiring
loom between the lid and the base? I had hoped it might be as simple as
unscrewing the hinges, unplugging the connectors and swapping them over.

Of course it may be. But I don't want to commit to dismantling either or
both until I am fairly sure of success.

Nick

Another thing worth considering is swapping the HD in the slower machine
for a SSD. Depending on what you use it for this might give you the
performance gains that you want.

I actually did that a couple of years ago and thanks to the lower
performing CPU and the general architecture it made very little
difference. The 2140 only came out a year or so after the 2133 but it is
a very much improved version.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:

[...]

Brilliant! I've downloaded it and I'll have a good read through.

Many thanks!

Nick

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2019 01:19, Nick Odell wrote:
On 08/01/2019 21:42, Custos Custodum wrote:

You might be able to extract the information you need he

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c01658655

Brilliant!Â* I've downloaded it and I'll have a good read through.

Many thanks!

Nick

If that doesn't help, repost on uk.comp.homebuilt; there are some more
very helpful experts over there.