Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Smoke from neigjbours in semi detached jouse

Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be coming
through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind
cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room stinks. Any
suggestions? Will i ever sort it ?

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1338445-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2019 22:14, Rachael P wrote:
Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be coming
through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind
cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room stinks. Any
suggestions? Will i ever sort it ?

Call the fire brigade! Your neighbour's house is on fire!

--
Max Demian
Posted to uk.d-i-y

When you say smoke, do you mean cigarette? There has to be a shared void
with a vent to the outside somewhere. I have this issue in a cupboard in my
kitchen. I have taped it up but its amazing how penetrating this is.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Rachael P" m wrote in
message ...
Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be coming
through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind
cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room stinks. Any
suggestions? Will i ever sort it ?

--
for full context, visit
https://www.homeownershub.com/uk-diy...e-1338445-.htm

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Typically caused by defective flues. In older houses especially the brickwork separating the two flues has suffered spalling of the mortar and brickwork of the "feather". This allows flue gases to cross from one to the other. In extreme cases the leakage can escape into the next dwelling. I'd suggest you carry out a proper survey as such cases have been known to lead to carbon monoxide poisoning of neighbours.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 08/01/2019 09:07, Cynic wrote:
Typically caused by defective flues. In older houses especially the brickwork separating the two flues has suffered spalling of the mortar and brickwork of the "feather". This allows flue gases to cross from one to the other. In extreme cases the leakage can escape into the next dwelling. I'd suggest you carry out a proper survey as such cases have been known to lead to carbon monoxide poisoning of neighbours.

Given that it's causing the neighbour no trouble at all, and it's likely
to be expensive to fix (flue liner, I guess), you may need to consult a
solicitor.

In the meantime, buy a carbon monoxide detector.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2019 22:14, Rachael P wrote:
Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be coming
through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind
cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room stinks. Any
suggestions? Will i ever sort it ?

If you are going out for the day, drop a load of stink bombs in your
house just before you go out.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 07/01/2019 22:14, Rachael P wrote:
Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be coming
through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind
cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room stinks. Any
suggestions? Will i ever sort it ?

As already indicated, it would help to know first if this is smoke from
(a) cigarettes/cigars/pipes or (b) burning wood/solid fuel. If you can't
tell from the smell then look for smoke coming from their chimney.

--
Robin
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2019 09:44, GB wrote:
On 08/01/2019 09:07, Cynic wrote:
Typically caused by defective flues. In older houses especially the
brickwork separating the two flues has suffered spalling of the mortar
and brickwork of the "feather". This allows flue gases to cross from
one to the other. In extreme cases the leakage can escape into the
next dwelling. I'd suggest you carry out a proper survey as such cases
have been known to lead to carbon monoxide poisoning of neighbours.

Given that it's causing the neighbour no trouble at all, and it's likely
to be expensive to fix (flue liner, I guess), you may need to consult a
solicitor.

In the meantime, buy a carbon monoxide detector.

I would get building control on the case ASAP.

Your neighbours may have installed a log burner without having
the chimney inspected or cleaned, or they have simply decided to
start using an open fire that been unused for years.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2019 12:55, Andrew wrote:
On 08/01/2019 09:44, GB wrote:
[...]

My parents experienced a similar problem in their semi-detached house.
Whenever next door cooked anything with a strong smell the smell would
become quickly apparent in their own home.

It turned out that that part of the party wall below the floorboards had
gaps in it which allowed the smells through. Several trowels full of
mortar fixed the problem.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Rachael P m wrote:
Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be coming
through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind
cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room stinks. Any
suggestions? Will i ever sort it ?

Not uncommon, since a brick party wall isn't built to the same standards
as an outside one (which is pointed to make it waterproof). Gaps between
the bricks happen. Of course plaster will fill those, but there won't be
any under the floors, etc.

One way might be to pressurise the room with a fan blowing in from
outside. To stop air travelling from their side to yours.

But an air filter system would probably be cheaper to run.

--
*Nothing is foolproof to a sufficiently talented fool*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 08/01/2019 10:15, Robin wrote:
On 07/01/2019 22:14, Rachael P wrote:
Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be
coming
through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind
cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room stinks. Any
suggestions? Will i ever sort it ?

As already indicated, it would help to know first if this is smoke from
(a) cigarettes/cigars/pipes or (b) burning wood/solid fuel. If you can't
tell from the smell then look for smoke coming from their chimney.

You are unlikely to find out. The OP is from home owners hub and they
don't seem to find the replies to their own posts on that web site.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 09/01/2019 09:56, alan_m wrote:
On 08/01/2019 10:15, Robin wrote:
On 07/01/2019 22:14, Rachael P wrote:
Smoke coming into my bedroom from next door neighbours. Seems to be
coming
through up through floor. I have managed to foam fill and caulk behind
cupboards and they are smoke free but rest of the room stinks. Any
suggestions? Will i ever sort it ?

As already indicated, it would help to know first if this is smoke
from (a) cigarettes/cigars/pipes or (b) burning wood/solid fuel. If
you can't tell from the smell then look for smoke coming from their
chimney.

You are unlikely to find out. The OP is from home owners hub and they
don't seem to find the replies to their own posts on that web site.

Oh yes but, living without open fires in my second childhood, I look
upon occasional replies to them as a substitute for writing messages on
pieces of paper and sending them up the chimney.

--
Robin

Semi-detached house. 2nd floor on rear extension possible? Michael Chare[_2_] UK diy 5 December 11th 13 09:15 PM
Semi-Detached housing, can we share digital aerial? petercharlesfagg[_2_] UK diy 14 September 19th 08 11:14 PM
semi-gloss enamel in an oil-based or acrylic semi-gloss enamel Tube Audio Home Repair 2 October 15th 07 04:44 PM
Semi to Detached... Jonni UK diy 3 June 25th 06 07:51 PM
Cooking smells coming from other side of semi-detached house - how? Frank H Home Repair 6 March 22nd 06 01:25 PM