Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

Default CH pressure relief valve

When I set the pressure valve on my combi boiler to around 1 to 1.5 bar
I get some dripping at the outside pressure relief valve, the pressure
will drop to around .25 to .5 over a couple of days and then remain
there for long enough, at least a couple of months before I decide it is
too low and pressure it back up to around 1.5 bar....and cycle repeats.

Is this an issue or just a faulty pressure gauge (Baxi combi boiler)
It has been this way for a couple of years now but I did have a drippy
connection at a radiator at one point (now sorted) which I assumed was
causing the pressure drop, but not so.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/12/2018 19:06, ss wrote:
When I set the pressure valve on my combi boiler to around 1 to 1.5 bar
I get some dripping at the outside pressure relief valve, the pressure
will drop to around .25 to .5 over a couple of days and then remain
there for long enough, at least a couple of months before I decide it is
too low and pressure it back up to around 1.5 bar....and cycle repeats.

Is this an issue or just a faulty pressure gauge (Baxi combi boiler)
It has been this way for a couple of years now but I did have a drippy
connection at a radiator at one point (now sorted) which I assumed was
causing the pressure drop, but not so.

Once they have lifted, pressure relief valves sometimes never seat
properly again, either because of limescale deposits on the valve or
because of erosion on the seat. The *only* answer is to change the
valve. A generic one from BES, etc. will fit, just make sure you have
the right gender of inlet and outlet ports.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 23 December 2018 19:06:51 UTC, ss wrote:
When I set the pressure valve on my combi boiler to around 1 to 1.5 bar
I get some dripping at the outside pressure relief valve, the pressure
will drop to around .25 to .5 over a couple of days and then remain
there for long enough, at least a couple of months before I decide it is
too low and pressure it back up to around 1.5 bar....and cycle repeats.

Is this an issue or just a faulty pressure gauge (Baxi combi boiler)
It has been this way for a couple of years now but I did have a drippy
connection at a radiator at one point (now sorted) which I assumed was
causing the pressure drop, but not so.

Take your pressure relief valve to bits and check the valve seat etc.
It may be fixable by cleaning accumulated crap off.
Posted to uk.d-i-y
ss ss is offline

On 24/12/2018 09:45, harry wrote:
Take your pressure relief valve to bits and check the valve seat etc.
It may be fixable by cleaning accumulated crap off.

As everything appears to work ok apart from a wrong reading (assumed) on
the pressure gauge I think best I leave well alone until the better
weather as knowing my luck I will end up with no heating.