Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Ceiling painting - are there stools with trays?

I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Green wrote:

I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

For a stepladder rather than a stool, but you could just go up one or
two rungs ...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stepladder-paint-tool-tray/2543p
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

I've seen clip on trays somewhere for step ladders.

Another option is to use a pole roller and you don't need the steps then.

--
Email does not work
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 December 2018 11:57:06 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:

I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

I've seen clip on trays somewhere for step ladders.

Another option is to use a pole roller and you don't need the steps then.

I guess you could do all round the edges by taking leaps at it, swinging the brush wildly at the same time. I wouldn't recommend it though

I've never seen a step & tray combined. Plenty of trays you can hang onto stepladders though. Stools are too low for the tray position.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 11:53, Andy Burns wrote:
Chris Green wrote:

I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

For a stepladder rather than a stool, but you could just go up one or
two rungs ...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stepladder-paint-tool-tray/2543p

Or use a stepladder with tray to hold the paint while standing on the stool.

Cheers
--
Clive

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

I use a small cheap stepladder Paint on the top step.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

Won't you want the tray to be at chest height? So, isn't what you want
simply a step ladder?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 12:33, GB wrote:
On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

Won't you want the tray to be at chest height?

Cinema ice-cream vendor's tray.

So, isn't what you want simply a step ladder?

HTH
--
Clive
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

I find it easier to forget all about the steps etc, and use one of these:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Trad...-2-4m/p/607340

The paint tray can go on the floor, and you don't even need to bend down
to it.

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In message , John
Rumm writes

I find it easier to forget all about the steps etc, and use one of these:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Trad...tension-Pole--
-1-4-2-4m/p/607340

I have one like that but, in true DIY tradition, mine is a standard
roller, a garden cane and some gaffer tape :-)
--
Graeme
Posted to uk.d-i-y
GB GB is offline

On 13/12/2018 12:42, Clive Arthur wrote:

Cinema ice-cream vendor's tray.

Clever.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

GB wrote:
On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

Won't you want the tray to be at chest height? So, isn't what you want
simply a step ladder?

Most stepladders I've seen (or have) don't have a big enough top
'shelf' to hold a normal sized paint tray. Plus it's not very
comfortable to stand on a step.

One wants a flat (stool) to stand on, plus a chest-height place to put
a paint tray.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Chris Hogg wrote:

On Thu, 13 Dec 2018 11:17:48 +0000, Chris Green wrote:

I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

Is this like what you want?

https://tinyurl.com/y7c3y5o7

Possibly, Screwfix have one a bit like that too. I'm not sure f the
top tray is OK to put a paint tray on though.

--
Chris Green
·
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

A roller and a decent extension pole?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 13:33, Graeme wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

I find it easier to forget all about the steps etc, and use one of these:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Trad...tension-Pole--
-1-4-2-4m/p/607340

I have one like that but, in true DIY tradition, mine is a standard
roller, a garden cane and some gaffer tape :-)

I have used broomsticks in the past but now I would recommend something
decent designed for the job

I had one telescopic pole tat when extended the two parts twisted
together to lock. I found that the locking mechanism always came loose
during painting and the pole flexed too much.

My current universal extension pole is hexagonal in section with a
lever to lock the outer section to the inner, with the inner having
detent positions for positive adjustment. This pole doesn't bend

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Tim Watts" wrote in message
On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

I've seen clip on trays somewhere for step ladders.

Another option is to use a pole roller and you don't need the steps then.

And that approach avoids continually getting on and off the stool
or ladder and moving it around so you can reach the entire ceiling.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

news
Chris Green wrote:

I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

For a stepladder rather than a stool, but you could just go up one or two
rungs ...

https://www.screwfix.com/p/stepladder-paint-tool-tray/2543p

Or use a stepladder with tray to hold the paint while standing on the
stool.

But then you have to move two things around repeatedly.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"GB" wrote in message
news
On 13/12/2018 12:42, Clive Arthur wrote:

Cinema ice-cream vendor's tray.

Clever.

I'm not convinced. IMO its going to be hard to
keep it level when getting on and off the stool.
With a tray on the ladder its not that hard to
keep the tray level when moving the ladder.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Chris Green" wrote in message
GB wrote:
On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

Won't you want the tray to be at chest height? So, isn't what you want
simply a step ladder?

Most stepladders I've seen (or have) don't have a big enough top
'shelf' to hold a normal sized paint tray. Plus it's not very
comfortable to stand on a step.

One wants a flat (stool) to stand on, plus a chest-height place to put
a paint tray.

Cant you attach the stool to the stepladder so they both
move at the same time when moving around the room ?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lonely Psychotic Senile Ozzie Troll Alert! LOL

On Fri, 14 Dec 2018 03:20:29 +1100, cantankerous trolling geezer Rot Speed,
the auto-contradicting senile sociopath, blabbered, again:

Or use a stepladder with tray to hold the paint while standing on the
stool.

But then you have to move two things around repeatedly.

Not if the tray is afixed to the ladder, Mr Know-it-all!

--
Kerr-Mudd,John addressing senile Rot:
MID:
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 December 2018 12:15:50 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/12/2018 12:07, tabbypurr wrote:
On Thursday, 13 December 2018 11:57:06 UTC, Tim Watts wrote:
On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:

I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

I've seen clip on trays somewhere for step ladders.

Another option is to use a pole roller and you don't need the steps then.

I guess you could do all round the edges by taking leaps at it, swinging the brush wildly at the same time. I wouldn't recommend it though

Well obviously you do the edges first

(_)

But you can do those with a paint kettle and a brush...

then you still need steps

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Thursday, 13 December 2018 12:31:12 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

E.g. we'd like a stool to step onto to make reaching the ceiling easy
with a paint tray holder so repeated stepping up and down (and
bending) isn't necessary.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

I use a small cheap stepladder Paint on the top step.

I've done that and it works providing yuo remmber to take off the paint tray BEFORE moving the stepladder of any hieght, other wise you'll kick or hi the legs of the ladder sending the paint and tray to the floor.

I did think about using stilts but cancelled that thought when I saw the price.

too dark to read.

Groucho Marx

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 13/12/2018 13:33, Graeme wrote:
In message , John
Rumm writes

I find it easier to forget all about the steps etc, and use one of these:

https://www.wickes.co.uk/Wickes-Trad...tension-Pole--
-1-4-2-4m/p/607340

I have one like that but, in true DIY tradition, mine is a standard
roller, a garden cane and some gaffer tape :-)

A really good quality telescopic decorating pole has the required
stiffness. I bought one and doing ceilings and up the stairs was
a doddle.

It also doubles up as a roof moss scraper by duck-taping a garden
hoe, standing on the ladder at eaves height and scraping almost
all the way up to the ridge.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

whisky-dave wrote:
On Thursday, 13 December 2018 12:31:12 UTC, The Natural Philosopher wrote:
On 13/12/2018 11:17, Chris Green wrote:
I've looked at Screwfix and a couple of other places but there doesn't
seem to be anything specifically aimed at painting ceilings.

Does anyone make such a thing or does it call for DIY?

I use a small cheap stepladder Paint on the top step.

I've done that and it works providing yuo remmber to take off the paint
tray BEFORE moving the stepladder of any hieght, other wise you'll kick
or hi the legs of the ladder sending the paint and tray to the floor.

I did think about using stilts but cancelled that thought when I saw the price.

Has anyone on here got any experience of using them?
I watched a team installing cables for AV equipment on a cruise ship
constructing project and they seemed well practised in using them and they
had the advantage that there were no ladders or other step ups getting in
the way of other trades or indeed people from those other trades
borrowing such items.
Possibly it would take a while to build up leg strength and confidence to
be completely agile on them ,
I would be worried that if you tripped over or got knocked then once you go
beyond a certain point it is going to be quite a fall, at least with a step
ladder or step up you have a chance to leave it if it starts to move and
land possibly a little heavily upright.

GH

Not much activity in this group lately.... - stools done.jpg (0/1) ROY! Woodworking Plans and Photos 7 August 16th 07 02:01 AM
RECALL: Cracker Barrel Rooster Kitchen Stools Doug Miller Home Ownership 2 May 11th 07 01:51 PM
Ideas for cheap bar height table and stools? [email protected] Home Repair 10 April 17th 06 05:10 PM
Window Stools? Goofy Woodworking 3 January 16th 05 02:38 AM
Building Wood Folding Stools(an Update) Lawrence L'Hote Woodworking 1 October 21st 04 09:03 PM