Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Solid oak flooring.

Mate is re-vamping a living room. Size is approx 30 x 15ft - fairly
typical through lounge in a modern house.

Concrete floor.

He wants a solid real oak floor. And matching skirting boards and
architraves. And the window sill round the front curved window - which
will be about 1ft deep.

Says - without having got any quotes - he can have it done for about 2
grand. Which seems very low to me.

About 5 years ago I did mine myself. Admittedly a bigger room, but it cost
me a grand for decent engineered oak flooring - T&G plywood with a thick
oak surface. And no skirting boards, etc. Or labour.

A quick look shows real oak at something like 50 quid a sq metre - and in
random lengths from about 400-1200mm. I'd be looking for rather longer
than 1200mm to avoid it looking like offcuts. ;-)

--
*Hang in there, retirement is only thirty years away! *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mate is re-vamping a living room. Size is approx 30 x 15ft - fairly
typical through lounge in a modern house.

Concrete floor.

He wants a solid real oak floor. And matching skirting boards and
architraves. And the window sill round the front curved window - which
will be about 1ft deep.

Says - without having got any quotes - he can have it done for about 2
grand. Which seems very low to me.

About 5 years ago I did mine myself. Admittedly a bigger room, but it cost
me a grand for decent engineered oak flooring - T&G plywood with a thick
oak surface. And no skirting boards, etc. Or labour.

A quick look shows real oak at something like 50 quid a sq metre - and in
random lengths from about 400-1200mm. I'd be looking for rather longer
than 1200mm to avoid it looking like offcuts. ;-)

Reclaimed oak parquet (on eBay, for example) is a lot cheaper
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
[...]

Oh indeed. But he doesn't want parquet. Which is cheaper than planks
because it is all offcuts. ;-)

--
*HOW IS IT POSSIBLE TO HAVE A CIVIL WAR?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
[...]

The stuff Wickes sold about 10 years ago, came in packs 1.2 metres long
but out of 21 packs I only found one piece of flooring that was 1200mm,
and a lot of 300mm ones.

Also it wasn't very good 'hardwood', very easy to scratch or dent. It
was £30 /sq metre, which cost me £630 and for another £200 I could have
got longer lengths and consistent species which the Wickes stuff wasn't,
it looks like their Chinese supplier has used offcuts from other work
to make the stuff.

Also, I glued mine into long, wide 'planks'. The wickes metal clips
are useless, but you need to allow for expansion and contraction, so
gluing onto a solid floor is not advised - the different species of
wood move at different amounts. A couple of the shorter sections that
I glued together to make larger planks have split slightly at the end
during very dry weather.

Conclusion - use some good quality engineered interlocking planking.
£2000 is too cheap. decent flooring will be that price alone, plus
labour plus skirtings/frames.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mate is re-vamping a living room. Size is approx 30 x 15ft - fairly
typical through lounge in a modern house.

Concrete floor.

He wants a solid real oak floor. And matching skirting boards and
architraves. And the window sill round the front curved window - which
will be about 1ft deep.

Says - without having got any quotes - he can have it done for about 2
grand. Which seems very low to me.

Yup, does seem optimistic for solid wood.

About 5 years ago I did mine myself. Admittedly a bigger room, but it cost
me a grand for decent engineered oak flooring - T&G plywood with a thick
oak surface. And no skirting boards, etc. Or labour.

A quick look shows real oak at something like 50 quid a sq metre - and in
random lengths from about 400-1200mm. I'd be looking for rather longer
than 1200mm to avoid it looking like offcuts. ;-)

About 18 months ago I did:

http://wiki.diyfaq.org.uk/index.php/...oor_-_retrofit

That was about £40/m^2 IIRC, (not including the underlay), and that was
for 21mm thick engineered boards, where the oak layer was abound 1/4"

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Saturday, 8 December 2018 13:40:46 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Mate is re-vamping a living room. Size is approx 30 x 15ft - fairly
typical through lounge in a modern house.

Concrete floor.

He wants a solid real oak floor. And matching skirting boards and
architraves. And the window sill round the front curved window - which
will be about 1ft deep.

Says - without having got any quotes - he can have it done for about 2
grand. Which seems very low to me.

About 5 years ago I did mine myself. Admittedly a bigger room, but it cost
me a grand for decent engineered oak flooring - T&G plywood with a thick
oak surface. And no skirting boards, etc. Or labour.

A quick look shows real oak at something like 50 quid a sq metre - and in
random lengths from about 400-1200mm. I'd be looking for rather longer
than 1200mm to avoid it looking like offcuts. ;-)

Try used oak flooring planks.

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Wrote in message:
In article ,
[...]

Mmmm
I have approx 40m2 solid oak t & g
glued straight to concrete
here. It's not developed any issues in 15+ years
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/

oak veneered ply or solid oak petek Woodworking 22 December 10th 09 08:25 PM
solid red oak vs. red oak plywood colour difference Student[_2_] Woodworking 8 July 17th 08 02:42 PM
solid oak wood flooring? Richard UK diy 11 February 1st 07 03:25 PM
Old oak floor vs. new oak flooring Lynn Woodworking 3 October 31st 06 11:41 PM
Question on fitting 1/8" solid oak trim to oak plywood Dick Snyder Woodworking 9 January 30th 06 11:05 PM