Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Lidl deals - any point getting out of bed?

Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"R D S" wrote in message
news
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

lidl tvs are crap ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
news
On 22/11/2018 21:59, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"R D S" wrote in message
news Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will
they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

lidl tvs are crap ....

It's a Toshiba.

poland?

no turkish aren't they?...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2018 04:15, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

news
"R D S" wrote in message
news Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will
they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

lidl tvs are crap ....

It's a Toshiba.

poland?

no turkish aren't they?...

Toshiba don't make TVs, they are just re-branded.

Hitachi TVs are the Turkish rebranding of Vestal products?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim GM4DHJ ... explained :
I bought one for wall mounting and the sound was crap....got rid of it and
went for a samsung.

That is to be expected from modern flat screen TV's, there is no space
for speakers. I ended up having to buy a soundbar for our first flat
screen, an LG, the sound was so very poor. Our second one, a Samsung
plasma was deeper and sounded OK. As it is wall inner corner mounted,
depth of the set wasn't really important. Our LG bought a few weeks
ago, has the best audio yet from the sets own speakers.

Unfortunately the new LG has a problem with the Freeview Catchup
service in the program Guide - It looses it completely if it is put to
standby and it needs to be retuned every time it is powered up, to get
Catchup back into the Guide.

The issue seems to be signal strength related. Reduce the signal
strength with an attenuator and the Catchup becomes more reliable the
weaker the signal, but the weaker the signal the more channels are lost
from the line up. Catchup works best, at a point where the signal is so
weak that all the HD channels are lost..
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Harry Bloomfield wrote:
That is to be expected from modern flat screen TV's, there is no space
for speakers. I ended up having to buy a soundbar for our first flat
screen, an LG, the sound was so very poor. Our second one, a Samsung
plasma was deeper and sounded OK. As it is wall inner corner mounted,
depth of the set wasn't really important. Our LG bought a few weeks
ago, has the best audio yet from the sets own speakers.

I'm waiting for someone to make a TV where you have to buy an additional
screen too, to get acceptable results.

--
*The statement below is true.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2018 08:22, Harry Bloomfield wrote:
Jim GM4DHJ ... explained :
I bought one for wall mounting and the sound was crap....got rid of it
and went for a samsung.

That is to be expected from modern flat screen TV's,

While my Samsung flat screen TV of some age hasn't got particularly good
sound[1] the recently purchased Samsung 4k 43" (approx £400) for my
mother has a very good sound quality. This didn't however stop the
salesperson suggesting that the sound experience could be much improved
with the purchase of a sound bar costing more than the TV.

I think that the generalisation of poor sound from a flat screen
speakers is not always true.

[1] for the past 2 to 3 decades I've been using a 5 or 7 channel AV amp
with a sound round arrangement of speakers.

Our LG bought a few weeks ago,
has the best audio yet from the sets own speakers.

Maybe the manufacturers have gone a long way to solving the sound
quality problems from flat speakers.

Unfortunately the new LG has a problem with the Freeview Catchup service
in the program Guide - It looses it completely if it is put to standby
and it needs to be retuned every time it is powered up, to get Catchup
back into the Guide

The issue seems to be signal strength related. Reduce the signal
strength with an attenuator and the Catchup becomes more reliable the
weaker the signal, but the weaker the signal the more channels are lost
from the line up. Catchup works best, at a point where the signal is so
weak that all the HD channels are lost..

Surely catchup has nothing to do with the received signal from an aerial
and everything to do with your Internet connection?

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Amazon reviews of that tv suggest poor build quality, and poor sound (no
surprise there)

I bought one for wall mounting and the sound was crap....got rid of it
and went for a samsung ...much better,,,,cheap rubbish is false
economy......

All TVs have crap sound. How could they sell you a sound bar if it was OK?

--
*A bartender is just a pharmacist with a limited inventory.

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 November 2018 10:56:31 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Amazon reviews of that tv suggest poor build quality, and poor sound (no
surprise there)

I bought one for wall mounting and the sound was crap....got rid of it
and went for a samsung ...much better,,,,cheap rubbish is false
economy......

All TVs have crap sound. How could they sell you a sound bar if it was OK?

My TV's sound is OK better than the previous ones I've had including the hitachi 24" CRT I bought in 1988.

I bought a sound bar so it could sit int eh front on the TV and could be used with my iDevices as it was bluetooth, I don't use it much, the only time really is when I have frioends over watching a film or music video and even then the TVs sound is still better at lower volumes and the sound bar is.
But then again it was only £90 I wasnt going to pay £100s for a set of speakers.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Dave Plowman (News)" wrote in message
In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Amazon reviews of that tv suggest poor build quality, and poor sound (no
surprise there)

I bought one for wall mounting and the sound was crap....got rid of it
and went for a samsung ...much better,,,,cheap rubbish is false
economy......

All TVs have crap sound.

No they do not.

How could they sell you a sound bar if it was OK?

Even sillier than you usually manage, and that’s saying something.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

JoeJoe formulated on Friday :
I have 2 top of the range Samsungs - sound quality without a sound bar is
appalling (well, the TVs are only 1.5" thick or so...).

You cannot expect Hi-Fi quality sound out of a TV, but TV's have always
varied in the sound quality they can output and the distortion they
introduce. Our first LG plasma was terrible, I ended up having to buy a
sound system to get decent sound from it. The Samsung plasma bought to
replace it was acceptable. The big screen LG I bought a few weeks ago
is much, much better - good clear speech and plenty of spare volume,
with not much distortion. It is normally on a about 20%. It is quite
thick case and the speakers seem to face back at 45 deg, at either end.
Thickness is not a problem as though I have it wall mounted, it has a
unit several inches below it and it is across a room corner.

I had it in mind to expect to buy it a soundbar, but there is no need.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:

"R D S" wrote in message
news
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

lidl tvs are crap ....

Interesting. Despite getting their special offer emails, I've not seen a
TV on sale before.

--
*CAN AN ATHEIST GET INSURANCE AGAINST ACTS OF GOD?

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Dave Plowman (News) explained on 23/11/2018 :
Interesting. Despite getting their special offer emails, I've not seen a
TV on sale before.

It was either in or I saw the ad for it, in our local Lidl on Tuesday.
I only spotted it because I have just bought a new LG.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Depends on the make. I do know that they may well be getting rid of them
before the compulsory accessibility rules come in later on. They have to all
have speech these days for the minimal operation of the set. How much
enforcement of this will go on is debatable though, but anyone who does not
need this may find in the next few months before the new models come out
that there are bargains to be had.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message

"R D S" wrote in message
news
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

lidl tvs are crap ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 22/11/2018 19:52, R D S wrote:

Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one?

Fair play to them, they had about half a dozen, maybe a couple more.
There was no chance of getting a look in though unless you were the type
to queue in the street.

So so far today i've saved 200 quid!

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
On 22/11/2018 19:52, R D S wrote:

Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one?

Fair play to them, they had about half a dozen, maybe a couple more.
There was no chance of getting a look in though unless you were the type
to queue in the street.

So so far today i've saved 200 quid!

When someone says that about the sales I always remember this from when I
was a nipper.

http://www.original-political-cartoo...per-cent/3631/

Its only a saving if someone was planning or needed something
anyway,otherwise they have been persuaded
to join in with the sellers aim of getting money from the buyers bank
account into theirs,often with something that is close to but quite on the
button to what they really want.

GH

Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

--
*If you can read this, thank a teecher

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Each to their own, we've a 42 as our main set, I wouldn't want one much
bigger.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S Wrote in message:

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Each to their own, we've a 42 as our main set, I wouldn't want one much
bigger.

(Expect it was yet another "dick-wave Dave" boast about the size
of his hovel ;-) )
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
Jim K wrote:
R D S Wrote in message:

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Each to their own, we've a 42 as our main set, I wouldn't want one
much bigger.

(Expect it was yet another "dick-wave Dave" boast about the size of his
hovel ;-) )

Never mind, Jim. If you work hard, you'll get out of that tenement one
day. Sorry to mention a kitchen.

--
*A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well*

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

Jim K wrote:
R D S Wrote in message:

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Each to their own, we've a 42 as our main set, I wouldn't want one
much bigger.

(Expect it was yet another "dick-wave Dave" boast about the size of his
hovel ;-) )

Never mind, Jim. If you work hard, you'll get out of that tenement one
day. Sorry to mention a kitchen.

Oh dear dick-wave Dave! something else you don't have a clue about...

Why are you "sorry to mention a kitchen "?

Did you dictate that to your East European manservant?
--
Jim K

----Android NewsGroup Reader----
http://usenet.sinaapp.com/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2018 11:51, R D S wrote:

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Each to their own, we've a 42 as our main set, I wouldn't want one much
bigger.

+1

My mothers' 21 CRT TV recently failed and I had problems persuading her
that something as "massive" as a 43" flat screen would be a suitable
replacement. She was persuaded when I cut out a piece of card the same
size as a 16:9 43" flat screen (including bezel) and showing her that it
was actually smaller than the front of the CRT TV that had just failed.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 23/11/2018 11:51, R D S wrote:

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Each to their own, we've a 42 as our main set, I wouldn't want one much
bigger.

Same here - anything bigger becomes the point of focus in my 5m x 3.5m
lounge, and it becomes a TV room. If I had a lounge bigger than 7m x 4m
I might give a larger set a go . . .

--
Cheers, Rob
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article , Dave Plowman (News)
wrote:
In article , R D S wrote:
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow. Is there any point
rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they have 2 per store
which will be bought by staff?

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Our main set is only 32" - it's quite adequate

--
from KT24 in Surrey, England
Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In article , R D S wrote:
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow. Is there any point
rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they have 2 per store
which will be bought by staff?

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Our main set is only 32" - it's quite adequate

So was 14" - once. ;-)

--
*Growing old is inevitable, growing up is optional *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 November 2018 13:21:02 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
Our main set is only 32" - it's quite adequate

So was 14" - once. ;-)

I rememember a school friend having a 4" radio/cassette/TV combo.

A /bit/ small for programming the Microtan, but we had no better

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

wrote:
In article , R D S wrote:

Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow. Is there any point
rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they have 2 per store
which will be bought by staff?

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Our main set is only 32" - it's quite adequate

So was 14" - once. ;-)

So was my 9" high definition 405 line set, once. I have upgraded since Even got this crazy thing they call colour. And I don't mean those filters that are green at the bottom, pink in the middle & blue at the top.

I don't see any point in oversize overprice sets, it's not as if tv resolution is that great or the program material worth watching. And fwiw a lot of people read oversize sets as a statement of insecurity, rightly or wrongly..

NT
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
wrote:
I don't see any point in oversize overprice sets, it's not as if tv
resolution is that great or the program material worth watching. And
fwiw a lot of people read oversize sets as a statement of insecurity,
rightly or wrongly.

You presumably choose the size you want by the distance you sit from the
TV? They're not an expensive device these days taking into account how
much they get used, and an expected life?

If you are one of those who feels TV not worth watching, why comment on
the nuts and bolts of doing so?

--
*Ah, I see the f**k-up fairy has visited us again

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

In article ,
R D S wrote:
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Don't you remember when 21" was considered too large for main viewing.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 November 2018 10:56:32 UTC, Dave Plowman (News) wrote:
In article ,
R D S wrote:
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

why do you say it;s too small ? mines 43" hasd it a good few years now, for the frontroom was looking for a 36 but they didn't have any.

All that;s happened is that screens have been getting cheaper, so in order to make a profit they've been making them larger. It wasn't so long ago that you could go much beyond 36 inch. I wonder when the 55" curved will be considered too small for a lounge.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Friday, 23 November 2018 13:29:43 UTC, whisky-dave wrote:
All that;s happened is that screens have been getting cheaper,
so in order to make a profit they've been making them larger.
It wasn't so long ago that you could go much beyond 36 inch.
I wonder when the 55" curved will be considered too small
for a lounge.

There has to come a pinch point where TVs get bigger than will fit into the averagr London flat.

Owain

Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

It's an odd size to me.

But not at all unusual.

Too small for a main set,

That's wrong with small flats and with those who rent a room.

and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc.

That's wrong with many bedrooms.

Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

Unlikely, aldi had some that size as a recent special buy.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

After serious thinking Dave Plowman (News) wrote :
It's an odd size to me. Too small for a main set, and too large for a
kitchen or bedroom, etc. Probably why Lidl have got a job lot.

I agree, but maybe 43" would work in a dining room. We had a 'massive'
26" CRT set originally in the living room, and that was considered big
at the time. As sets have become shallower and the picture quality and
detail has improved we have seen a need/ a possibility for larger and
larger sets.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

R D S wrote:
Lidl are doing a 43 inch smart TV for £199 tomorrow.
Is there any point rocking up at 8am and hoping to get one? Or will they
have 2 per store which will be bought by staff?

R: "The pallets I saw being shipped out I think had 8-10 TV's on and it looked
like at least two pallets per store."
N: "What RDC/SSC are you at?"
R: "North West area."
N: "We were told on Wednesday that under no circumstances can stock be held
back by staff, and that if we want to buy something (assuming we are
actually working that day) they they will give us break time to go outside
and queue with the customers until the shop opens. Also, it has been
confirmed that discount cards will not work on these specific items. You can
use your discount card if you are doing other shopping in the same
transaction, but no discount will be applied to Black Friday items (like
when we do shopping now, discount doesn't work on carrier bags)."

https://www.hotukdeals.com/deals/lid...th-nov-3103797