Posted to uk.rec.cars.maintenance,uk.d-i-y

Default Battery pack jump starters

I've got a DB Power DJS30 and although I've thankfully never had to use
it yet, Sod's Law dictates that it'll be a wet and windy night if or
when I do need it.

I have a Lexus RX450h hybrid car and the 12V battery is under the floor
panel in the boot. Given that my wife's mobility scooter lives in the
boot as well, it'll be a major undertaking on a cold, wet night to
empty the boot and get to the battery if I ever need to, so I intend to
use a pair of eyelet connectors permanently connected to the battery
and run the cables to a more easily accesible point so that I can
easily plug in the battery pack when needed.

Link to photos:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/145355770@N06/5s8n28

My questions a

1. Am I right in thinking that the connector is known as an Anderson
Powerpole connector? (sorry for the blurred photo)

2. Does anyone know what the red box arrowed in the second photo does
and/or what it contains? Do I need one or will it be alright to just
run a positive and negative wire from the battery to a female Powerpole
connector (if that's what it is) without that red box?
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

2. Does anyone know what the red box arrowed in the second photo does
and/or what it contains? Do I need one or will it be alright to just run
a positive and negative wire from the battery to a female Powerpole
connector (if that's what it is) without that red box?

It's a diode pack to prevent the alternator (possibly) overcharging the
battery pack when the engine starts.

Described by Big Clive in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8zghvQZYNM
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Mike Clarke wrote :
On 21/11/2018 23:22, Pete Zahut wrote:

2. Does anyone know what the red box arrowed in the second photo does
and/or what it contains? Do I need one or will it be alright to just run a
positive and negative wire from the battery to a female Powerpole connector
(if that's what it is) without that red box?

It's a diode pack to prevent the alternator (possibly) overcharging the
battery pack when the engine starts.

Described by Big Clive in https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8zghvQZYNM

Brilliant, thanks Mike.