Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Are Electrical Gels Insect and Vermin Proof?

In another thread I've been introduced to the joys of Electrical Gels used
for sealing external junction boxes. Are these Gels proof against your
averages spider, ant, or rat?

When we moved here we inherited a courtyard nicely lit by ten lights on
various walls and brick pillars, and the plonker who installed them used SWA
cable embedded presumably as the walls and pillars were built, without
glands, into galvanised internal junction boxes. In times of heavy rain we
get the occasional RCD trip not surprisingly.

I would replace them with waterproof boxes and proper external SWA glands,
but the length of cable sticking out of the masonry is not long enough. So
I've been considering using
a suitable box and injecting insulating Gel.

Now in a recent "cleaning and re-insulating with self amalgamating tape"
exercise the main problem seemed to be spiders and other critters getting
into the boxes and dying. So if I fill
new boxes with Gel am I just giving them a free meal?

Andrew

Posted to uk.d-i-y

I'd have no idea. However, what would be the point in them if they were
edible?

I have never had much luck with wiring that can be affected by water myself,
even complete potting seems to fail after a year or so and water gets in.
Brian

--
----- --
The Sofa of Brian Gaff...

Blind user, so no pictures please
Note this Signature is meaningless.!
"Andrew Mawson" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to uk.d-i-y

on 15/11/2018, Brian Gaff supposed :
I'd have no idea. However, what would be the point in them if they were
edible?

I have never had much luck with wiring that can be affected by water myself,
even complete potting seems to fail after a year or so and water gets in.

The secret is to do your best to ensure water cannot get in, but take
measures to ensure what does get in, can drain straight out.

Drill small drain holes in the bottom of all boxes and fittings,
likewise in conduits.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

Andrew Mawson wrote:

Are these Gels proof against your averages spider, ant, or rat?

MSDS says "polyorganosiloxanes and inert fillers", I've never heard of
anything developing a taste for silicone, suppose you could get mould on
the surface as it doesn't have fungicides.

Continuing Vermin Problem Michelle UK diy 1 April 1st 12 01:41 PM
Vermin Michelle UK diy 10 March 24th 12 08:59 PM
Proof, if proof were needed.... The Medway Handyman UK diy 11 July 4th 08 11:53 PM
kid-proof, dog-proof, dirt-proof paint K UK diy 18 March 7th 08 05:37 PM
Vermin Blake Macdonald Home Repair 0 January 9th 04 06:00 AM