Posted to uk.d-i-y

Default Static caravan combi ....

Got my first static caravan with central heating earlier this year and never
thought about the frost protection function until this morning when there
was a noise coming from the combi, it is freezing this morning here in south
Airshire. It wasn't the noise of the extract you hear on over run is was a
quieter noise. I am a bit worried because when we leave our van we always
turn off the gas and the water and obviously any frost protection won't
work. We just renewed the antifreeze in the radiator loop and was wondering
was the noise the frost protection and should we leave the power and gas on
when we are not here in cold weather ? .....and does the frost protection
just protect the coils of the hot water system? .....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 October 2018 06:18:58 UTC, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Got my first static caravan with central heating earlier this year and never
thought about the frost protection function until this morning when there
was a noise coming from the combi, it is freezing this morning here in south
Airshire. It wasn't the noise of the extract you hear on over run is was a
quieter noise. I am a bit worried because when we leave our van we always
turn off the gas and the water and obviously any frost protection won't
work. We just renewed the antifreeze in the radiator loop and was wondering
was the noise the frost protection and should we leave the power and gas on
when we are not here in cold weather ? .....and does the frost protection
just protect the coils of the hot water system? .....

Turning off water to protect against frost won't help.
You have to additionally drain down any part of the system not protected with antifreeze. ie hot and cold water.
There's probably a drain off valve somewhere to do this.
Posted to uk.d-i-y

On Sunday, 28 October 2018 07:08:17 UTC, harry wrote:
[...]

Additionally, when draining down, open all taps to get as much water out of the system as possible. If it's properly designed, there should be no/negligible water left in the system after draining down.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"harry" wrote in message
[...]

yes we do that at the end of the season but not the radiators because we
have antifreeze in them ...it is when we are using the van and coming and
going in frosty conditions I am worried about ......I turn off the water in
case of a bad joint etc not frost protection ....

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2018 06:18, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Got my first static caravan with central heating earlier this year and never
thought about the frost protection function until this morning when there
was a noise coming from the combi, it is freezing this morning here in south
Airshire. It wasn't the noise of the extract you hear on over run is was a
quieter noise. I am a bit worried because when we leave our van we always
turn off the gas and the water and obviously any frost protection won't
work. We just renewed the antifreeze in the radiator loop and was wondering
was the noise the frost protection and should we leave the power and gas on
when we are not here in cold weather ? .....and does the frost protection
just protect the coils of the hot water system? .....

Is it a condensing boiler? If it is, is the condensate drain protected
from freezing?

(Its a common failure mode where boilers have been installed without
following the manufacturers guidelines on protection of the drain).

--
Cheers,

John.

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2018 06:18, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
Got my first static caravan with central heating earlier this year and never
thought about the frost protection function until this morning when there
was a noise coming from the combi, it is freezing this morning here in south
Airshire. It wasn't the noise of the extract you hear on over run is was a
quieter noise. I am a bit worried because when we leave our van we always
turn off the gas and the water and obviously any frost protection won't
work. We just renewed the antifreeze in the radiator loop and was wondering
was the noise the frost protection and should we leave the power and gas on
when we are not here in cold weather ? .....and does the frost protection
just protect the coils of the hot water system? .....

Is the system one designed for caravans or a domestic one?

Domestic ones (generally) have a 'frost stat' which will turn the system
on if the temp goes too low to prevent damage, obviously you need to
leave the gas and electric on for this.

Another idea, just leave the heating on 'low', perhaps 10 degrees or
even less, this will also help protect other water systems.

I'm not familiar with water filled caravan heating systems - although I
know they exist- our motorhome has ch but it isn't water filled. I drain
the water tank etc and leave the taps 'on'. If it is very cold, I put
the electric heater on low (we keep the mh on the drive), more as damp
prevention, although we've never had an issue.

You could consider a 'Hive' type system (assuming you have internet at
the caravan). Then you could monitor the temp locally via your phone and
turn the heating on when needed. That would be easy if the system is
similar to or at least as easy to control as a domestic, perhaps 'single
channel' (no hot water) domestic system.

--

Smile for the camera ;-)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HxyL2_38EsQ

https://www.gov.uk/report-benefit-fraud

https://www.jobcentreguide.org/claim...-benefit-fraud

https://childsworldamerica.org/anima...o-child-abuse/
Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

no diference other than it works on Propane rather than domestic gas.......

Domestic ones (generally) have a 'frost stat' which will turn the system
on if the temp goes too low to prevent damage, obviously you need to leave
the gas and electric on for this.

yes but this morning there was a noise from the combi but no extract fan on
the flue was running......and yes I would expect gas and lecy to be on for
this to work....it is just that we are used to switching off the gas when we
leave and probably should leave them on in cold weather like this......

Another idea, just leave the heating on 'low', perhaps 10 degrees or even
less, this will also help protect other water systems.

can't afford the propane.......and a static caravan room has two permanent
vents high and at least one in the floor ......

anyway Wednesday is the end of the season and the system will be drained
except for the CH loop which has just had anti freeze pumped into
it......which is all very well but some expert on site said leave the lecy
on because the combi pump will fire up during a period of non activity just
to circulate the CH loop.....didn't believe him but who knows?

going to read up about this specific boiler this evening......

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

Worcester 24i .

"If the boiler main board detects a temp below 8 deg c it starts the pump
until the temp rises above 9 deg c, the action of the pump is enough to heat
up the boiler in mild conditions. if the temp continues to drops below 5 deg
c the boiler fires till it gets to 20 deg c then shuts down."

that explains it then ......only the pump was on this morning .......not the
boiler firing up ......bloody cold this morning....I will know what is going
on tomorrow ........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news
[...]

but then again that is pointless because the van CH pipes are full of anti
freeze unlike a house system .........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Brian Reay" wrote in message
news On 28/10/2018 06:18, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
[...]

but then again if the action of the CH pump heats up the boiler..........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news

"Jim GM4DHJ ..." wrote in message
news
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

up for a pee at half three and the pump was running it was about 7
deg.....got up at 7am and it was still on so ran some hot water to heat up
the combi and it went off......happy now........

Posted to uk.d-i-y

always happy when I know how things work ...except for radio where it would
spoil the mystery and fascination of it all...

Posted to uk.d-i-y

On 28/10/2018 18:07, Jim GM4DHJ ... wrote:
"Brian Reay" wrote in message
[...]

So much for your boast that you have more money know what to do with.
Sounds more like 'Penny wise, pound foolish.' You will look silly when
it freezes for the sake of a few pounds worth of propane.

--
Always smile when walking, you never know where there is a camera ;-)

Remarkable Coincidences:
The Stock Market Crashes of 1929 and 2008 happened on the same
date in October. In Oct 1907, a run on the Knickerbocker Trust
Company led to the Great Depression.