vivienne wykes

Default Temporary water pipe for caravan.

Hi All,

I am about to get a static caravan delivered and have access to a water tap
about 100m away. Does anyone know the correct type of pipe to run a
temporary supply to the caravan?

regards
jim

Grunff

vivienne wykes wrote:

I am about to get a static caravan delivered and have access to a water tap
about 100m away. Does anyone know the correct type of pipe to run a
temporary supply to the caravan?

MDPE pipe, like:
http://www.toolstation.com/shop/Plumbing/MDPE/d20/sd2729

--
Grunff
Frank Erskine

In article , vivienne
wykes writes
Hi All,

I am about to get a static caravan delivered and have access to a water tap
about 100m away. Does anyone know the correct type of pipe to run a
temporary supply to the caravan?

Make sure it has a hole down the middle.

--
Frank Erskine
The Natural Philosopher

vivienne wykes wrote:

Hi All,

I am about to get a static caravan delivered and have access to a water tap
about 100m away. Does anyone know the correct type of pipe to run a
temporary supply to the caravan?

regards
jim

Bit of hose, usually.

The Natural Philosopher

Frank Erskine wrote:

In article , vivienne
wykes writes

Hi All,

I am about to get a static caravan delivered and have access to a water tap
about 100m away. Does anyone know the correct type of pipe to run a
temporary supply to the caravan?

Make sure it has a hole down the middle.

This is very important.

Grunff

The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bit of hose, usually.

MDPE is a lot cheaper than even crappy garden hose. 50m ~£13.

--
Grunff
Alex

"Grunff" wrote in message
The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Bit of hose, usually.

MDPE is a lot cheaper than even crappy garden hose. 50m ~£13.

--
Grunff

Might want to go for UV stabilised black MDPE rather than the common blue
stuff which is usually only used underground - depends how long your
temporary supply will be there for.

Alex

Grunff

Alex wrote:

Might want to go for UV stabilised black MDPE rather than the common blue
stuff which is usually only used underground - depends how long your
temporary supply will be there for.

It was the use of the word temporary that led to my suggestion. We have
a length of exposed blue MDPE which has been there for 2 years so far
(runs along a south facing wall). One day it will get covered up ;-)

--
Grunff
Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 09:46:05 +0100, The Natural Philosopher wrote:

Make sure it has a hole down the middle.

This is very important.

No, the important bit is that it has a continuous hole down the
middle.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

Dave Liquorice

On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:58:19 GMT, vivienne wykes wrote:

Does anyone know the correct type of pipe to run a temporary supply
to the caravan?

MDPE, blue stuff should be fine I know bits that have been on the
surface for years without problem. What might be more important is
winter is a coming. It'll freeze, now MDPE doesn't mind that but you
might mind being without water...

Insulation probably won't work so you are stuck with burying it
really. Depending on where you are just 12" down will do for all but
the hardest of winters (not likely).

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

tony sayer

In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Mon, 30 Aug 2004 21:58:19 GMT, vivienne wykes wrote:

Does anyone know the correct type of pipe to run a temporary supply
to the caravan?

MDPE, blue stuff should be fine I know bits that have been on the
surface for years without problem. What might be more important is
winter is a coming. It'll freeze, now MDPE doesn't mind that but you
might mind being without water...

Insulation probably won't work so you are stuck with burying it
really. Depending on where you are just 12" down will do for all but
the hardest of winters (not likely).

So why do the water lot insist on 30 inches?....

--
Tony Sayer

Christian McArdle

So why do the water lot insist on 30 inches?....

Because a permanent installation has to cope with hard winters. They
wouldn't want 50% of houses without water just because of a cold snap.

Christian.

Dave Liquorice

On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:48:19 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Depending on where you are just 12" down will do for all but
the hardest of winters (not likely).

So why do the water lot insist on 30 inches?....

Because if we ever got another winter like '47 or '63 or possibly the
early 80's, pipes 12" down would freeze. A week of daytime maxes below
zero and nighttime lows of -10C and 12" would be rather shallow. There
is also the element of protection from man with pick axe digging a
hole.

--
Cheers
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

tony sayer

In article om, Dave
Liquorice writes
On Tue, 31 Aug 2004 22:48:19 +0100, tony sayer wrote:

Depending on where you are just 12" down will do for all but
the hardest of winters (not likely).

So why do the water lot insist on 30 inches?....

Because if we ever got another winter like '47 or '63 or possibly the
early 80's, pipes 12" down would freeze. A week of daytime maxes below
zero and nighttime lows of -10C and 12" would be rather shallow.

There
is also the element of protection from man with pick axe digging a
hole.

Ah!, that's the real reason why)
--
Tony Sayer